Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Raw Venison

Default Eating Raw Venison

Anyone know anything about cons of eating raw venison..
    Im not quite sure what it is, but some mountain man side of me wants to eat raw meat.
    I know that chicken and turkey often contain salmonella bacteria which would definatly be a problem, but what about beef/deer/buffalo.
    I have read from a few sources that commercial (antibiotic pumped) beef is a no-no, but that wild meat or "organic" meat was a possibility.
    Sounds like a couple of butchers or past butchers on here, just wondering if anyone knew anything..

I have eaten many a deer steak medium rare but never raw. I dont know if issues of lyme disease or other bloodborne pathogens would come into play here. I guess like any other raw meat you take chances. I used to date a French woman that loved to eat ground beef straight from the packade cold. Very weird if you ask me. This is the same woman that would get sick every time she went back to France from eating raw oysters that were contaminated.

I guess I would have to recommend against it. At least heat it to an internal temp of 160 which is what the FDA recommends for drying jerky.

Disclaimer: I do not know what I am talking about and I am not recommending that you eat raw meat. For that matter I am not recommending that you eat meat at all. If you get sick and croak its your own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by aspcrew View Post
    Anyone know anything about cons of eating raw venison..
    Im not quite sure what it is, but some mountain man side of me wants to eat raw meat.
    I know that chicken and turkey often contain salmonella bacteria which would definatly be a problem, but what about beef/deer/buffalo.
    I have read from a few sources that commercial (antibiotic pumped) beef is a no-no, but that wild meat or "organic" meat was a possibility.
    Sounds like a couple of butchers or past butchers on here, just wondering if anyone knew anything..
    I worked as a butcher for about 4 years, and the old-time butchers used to eat raw hambuger years ago, but not today. As far as eating raw deer, i would advise aganist it. Deer eat alot of raw crop prouducts that are sprayed with chemicals that could be a potential hazard. I too would like to try eating raw meat, but I am not going to chance it. Just cook it rare and you will get about the same effect. Or you could dry and salt the meat like the Indians and poineers of old used to .
    Quote Originally Posted by GSP View Post
    After the TonyinKY thread, you better have kicked Chuck Norris in the nads to try to even score on this thread....

I ate a deer steak the other day that was medium rare, by accident. The center was still slightly frozen when I put it on so it came out just barely bloody, but hardly at all. Mmmmmmm good. I had gas soooooooooo bad the next day. That deer must have eaten alot of persimmons.

I appreciate the responses, I always cook my steaks very rare, and love the taste, I have a friend who eats raw meat on a regular basis and he doesnt seem to have any troubles other than horrible gas.. I guess I'll just be moderate about it.
    Im sure we had more of the right kind of bacteria in our bellies way back when than we do now with store bought everything..
    I too had heard that butchers used to eat raw meat, and steak tartar is raw as well isnt it?

His Colon will let him know soon as he must still be young ? Eating it "raw" is not a good idea. He is dancing with danger on the bacterial side of the equation and the odds are against him. Most bacteria is on the surface of the meat not internally.
    Yes, Steak Tartar is a raw product but the places that serve it (better quality establishments) buy their beef from a private supplier and the meat is tested before being delivered.

This is why I am VERY PICKY about where I eat Sushi. There is no way I'm eating it at the average Chinese buffet place. Genuine quality Sushi is really a good thing. Especially with a quality dark Beer !
    I eat,sleep,ride,talk,breathe,dream,live and love my Cookers !

I've eaten it that way before, you're right, if you read alot about mountain men and the indians, they ate alot of raw meat, sometimes because they had to, sometimes because they just felt the urge, kind of like a kid eating dirt. If your body is lacking vitamins or minerals you'll sometimes get an unusual craving for something weird, raw meat or liver for example.

In my opinion deer meat cooked any more than slightly medium rare is ruined, I'd rather have it rare.

If you want to try it rare pick a piece of backstrap or an internal cut, not a piece that has been exposed to the air or internal juices like the tenderloin or inside of the thigh. Deer meat is about the cleanest meat you can find and if I was hungry and didn't have a lighter I wouldn't hesitate to dig in, I'd rather be full with gas than hungry.
    Deer meat will be fine but that's about the only thing I'd risk eating raw, birds, fish and pork are a huge no-no at best you'd end up with a big worm hanging out of your butt one night.

Thumbs up

I have eaten raw elk, buffalo, deer, antelope and beef. Accepting Chickens and Pork every carcass I have ever cut up I have sliced off a little taste for the butcher(Me). I eat deer sushi, deer carpachio, deer tartar. I cook saddle roasts so they are room temperature in the middle. Honestly I am of the opinion that over-cooking is the ruin of most wild game.

C.L is correct. Most bacterial contamination is on the outside. So I never use ground meat. I never do this with any meat other than that from a trusted source. I only use whole muscle product, and if I am worried about a little exterior contamination I will sear the outside really quick then drop it in a brine icewater bath to keep it from cooking too much. I just want the outside 1/8th inch to be cooked. If you look at most Carpachio or Beef Sushi served in the resturant, this is what they do as well. Be cautious. Only use nice fresh, fresh smelling cuts. Cut it on a nice clean cutting board.

My wife and I have never had excessive or horrible gas from doing this and we eat raw red meat all the time. Maybe eating raw meat is not a good idea, but it sure is tasty. As far as I can tell I have suffered no ill effects from it. Bon-appatite!

I ate a way undercooked steak at a friends once, didnt want to offend him. It came up later that night on its own anyway

Any raw meat has the potential to hold harmful and even deadly bacteria or pathogens. Some meats have specific bugs (like chicken--I think you mentioned salmonella) which is why different meats have different recommended cooking temperatures. I know people who still eat rare hamburgers....when they finally get that one with e-coli, they'll quit. Eating raw meat, eggs, etc. is not a good idea. Some people have built up immunities over their lifetimes to certain bugs that would make me or you sick for weeks--doesn't mean they are indestructable, just less susceptable. In the US these days, we are so germ-aware that most of us do not and never will have these immunities. So, I for one ain't risking it. Just cook the deer....160 degrees internal temp at the thickest part of the meat.
    I'm the guy with that naked squirrel next to his name.

Thread Information