Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

View Poll Results: When is it okay to take somebody's stand

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

14 13.59%
  • When it is where it doesn't belong

2 1.94%
  • When the stand is placed illegally

18 17.48%
  • Both 2 and 3

69 66.99%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When is it okay to remove someones tree stand?

Default When is it okay to remove someones tree stand?

When is it all right to take a stand? I have taken stands off of property they where not supposed to be on. I also think that if you find a stand on public land with no name on it, and it is after the deadline for removal that it is an abandoned stand and it is okay to take them. I always remove screw in tree steps from public property as they are not legal and as a member of the public that is partly my tree that is getting destroyed!
    We should wish to live in peace, If you starve, I starve, If you eat, I eat. (Sheheke 1804)

i dont know the law on this, but, if it were on private property, i would contact the CO and follow his direction....if on public land, i would contact the CO with the location of the stand/screw in steps, and have him remove the stand/screw in steps. unless you are a LEO, i would think removing someone elses property from public ground would not be legal, no matter how illegal the stand/screw in steps are.

i wouldn't any more take someones stand, than i would take his auto if it were parked illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5x55swedish View Post
    When is it all right to take a stand? I have taken stands off of property they where not supposed to be on. I also think that if you find a stand on public land with no name on it, and it is after the deadline for removal that it is an abandoned stand and it is okay to take them. I always remove screw in tree steps from public property as they are not legal and as a member of the public that is partly my tree that is getting destroyed!
    If it's on public land then I say it's never right to take a stand or steps.
    I have to cry foul on the "that is partly my tree" crap. Are you really worried about the tree or getting the steps? The damage is already done to the tree. If you want to take the steps out and lay them at the ground then that's another story but I bet that's not what you mean.
    Bambi's mom was a management doe.

6.5 Id more than likley bust your tail if I caught you messin with my stand or screw in steps. You need to find a new hobby buddy.

This is my take. If someone puts a stand on my property, I first take it town from the tree, and leave it there, so that they know that I know. If they leave the stand and don't take it out by the end of the season, then it is mine. Also, if they take it, and I find it elsewhere on the property, then I take it down and it is mine. I give everyone a strike, but after that, they are out.

If it was on my land or land that I was the only one with hunting permission I would take them down. I would okay it through the lanowner to see what he wanted done with the stands. When it come to public land, I would stay out of that fight. I have left my stuff on public lands before, not wanting to, but it made going in a little less dificult. If I ran up on someone elses stand on public property, I would just continue on hunting for another spot. If you take someones stand from a public track of land, then you stole it. What happens when that man walks up on you while you are doing this? If he doesn't ruff you up, then he can take legal action against you for the theft. It would be easier for someone to prove you were in the woods stealing, than it would for you to say it was illigally placed. Get a CO to do that, don't take the law into your own hands.

Quote Originally Posted by 120+ View Post
    If it's on public land then I say it's never right to take a stand or steps.
    I have to cry foul on the "that is partly my tree" crap. Are you really worried about the tree or getting the steps? The damage is already done to the tree. If you want to take the steps out and lay them at the ground then that's another story but I bet that's not what you mean.
    The damage to that tree is already done, but the person may think twice about using those steps again in the future. Especially when they have to find a new way to get their stand out of the tree. Calling the CO is all well and good, but the areas I hunt you usually need a boat to get to and I can save the warden a trip by taking them while I am there. I haven't ever called the warden about a stand that is unmarked, but I do mark the few I do find on the GPS and check if they are still there after the end of the season. I haven't found one still in place, but if I did I would either call the CO or remove it. And no I don't pack the steps out as I don't use them and I already have enough weight in my pack. I try and find a spot to stash them that is out of sight or they may slip into a nearby body of water. I would not call it a hobby as much as just feeling it is a shame that people can't follow the rules.
    We should wish to live in peace, If you starve, I starve, If you eat, I eat. (Sheheke 1804)

Finelydeerhunting, I agree with your comment.

Also, I'd say don't mess with anybody's junk on public land. Who knows, I might have gotten sick or something on the days i was planning on getting it out of there. I'd go with the "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" policy.
    "I climbed to the top of the ladder of success only to find my ladder was on the wrong wall."--some guy somewhere.

I try and find a spot to stash them that is out of sight or they may slip into a nearby body of water
    So what you saying is , that you would rather save a tree but let the steps fall in the lake and kill fish and polute our water from the rust.
    Call 800-25-ALERT to Report a Law Violation

Thread Information