Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stocking quail??

Default Stocking quail??

Once the habitat is returned , can quail be successfully stocked into the wild using "pen raised" birds?? Is there any good literature on this?
    Has anybody discussed trapping wild quail and relocating them like was done with wild turkey program?? Is it to cost prohibitive??
    I'm sure quail will "eventually" return to an area, but , can't we do better than "eventually"??
    Quail Unlimited doesn't seem to have any answers.

I asked the question before and WD and others said no. They quoted the sitistics for pen raised birds, and also relocating wild birds. I do know it can be done to some extent, but you have to provide release pens and callers to get the birds back to them in the evenings. I'd be interested in hearing what you find out, if you find it's worth trying.

V.S. quail can be successfully stocked if done properly. Take a muture pair, let the hen begin to lay, at that point place both, hen and cock in the area you wish to restock. The hen will begin to nest at that time. I've been doing this for 14 yrs. and 87% produce coveys. The first year I set 6 pair, 5 of which produced coveys, The next year I had 11 coveys in that area. Last year we set 21 pair with 17 pair having coveys. So it will work, and muture birds don't cost that much at least with a return like that.

Birdman,

Youv'e hit on something that sounds really unique. Iv'e never heard of anything like that.
    Do you "create" a nest site , use a few of the hen's eggs to get her started? What kind of nesting habitat seems to work best? Grownup fenceline? Any precautions toward predators? June and July?
    Have you discussed your success with F&W??
    Tell us what youv'e learned , so we all can duplicate your success..
    Many Thanks

Birdman is exactly right! The key to successful quail stocking is timing. The Dept used to supply quail in the fall to individuals to use in restocking. In reality, what was accomplished was a huge put-&-take quail shoot, because the quail were released just prior to quail season, and they had to face hunters and the elements before they had a chance to re-acclimate.

Stock them in the spring, when they can nest and reproduce, while not having to face hunters. They also get to enjoy moderate temps, easily obtainable food, and a chance to acclimate to their new surroundings. If you then have a successful hatch, by November you have a truly wild covey capable of surviving on their own.

Looks to me like this would be an excellent supplement to the planned small game habitat improvements being scheduled for the eastern KY WMA's.

Gentlemen,

Have you discussed this with F&W? What is their response?
    The only response that i"ve heard since winter of '78, is that , they'll return on their own,"EVENTUALLY"! and Plant native grass.

Valley, I was in a hurry this morning. If your interested in restocking quial, here we go. You need winter raised birds or birds that are at least 150 to 180 days old by the 15th of April. Hens will start laying at this age. Pick your spots (with good habitat and a good food source). Take one cock and one hen that has started laying. Place your pair in an area withgood cover. Both birds will begin doing their thing(nest building etc). The nest building and the fact that the hen has started laying is the key. Do not use birds that have been on a high protein diet and under heat lights.
    The search for a mate is when Mr. Hawk feeds well and your quial population drops dramatically. I have a friend that has rasied quial for years(25). I pick the areas I'm giong to restock while grouse hunting in Jan. and Feb. usually 8 to 10 locations and let John know how many birds to hold over. I pay a little extra, because of the food bill, normally $3.50 to $4.00 but in late Oct. and early Nov. it's worth ever penny. I've set over 100 pairs and have only taken two birds. I use these birds to work my young dogs or take elderly hunters that cann't get around anymore or young hunters to introduce them to bird hunting. The people that really hurt quail in this area are (some) rabbit hunters. They'll chase a covey until their no more. If you deside to do this and need more information get in touch. Or if your wandering why the department doesn't use this method get in touch. Some people wear their feelings on their shoulder. This really works.
    PS If you put out more than one pair put them at least 200 yds. apart. The hens don't have to look for a mate you've supplied her one. DO NOT PLANT THESE BIRDS IF IT'S WET OR IF THEIR GIVING RAIN FOR AT LEAST A WEEK IF POLLIBLE.( SUDDEN DEATH.)

Edited by - Birdman on 03/26/2002 10:02:45 PM

Fellows I started a thread called "QUAIL" in the Department section. There is a reply there about the Departments stance on this issue.
    Bottom line though, is the best dirt in the world want grow anything without a seed!

GSP I saw your line late last night and their response. If the department would take time to try this (setting pairs of birds), one year would convince them it really works. It's a shame that some people are so closed mined about something that wasn't their ideal.
    I'm going to set 10 pair this year if everone would set a few pairs a year for the next ten years our quial would be in much better shape. I know it shoulds to easy to be true but it works.

Ronnie, I'm interested in giving your method a try. When you going to plant birds? Is the guy you get your off of going to have any extra?

Thread Information