Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Red - Todd County's Legendary Deer

Default Big Red - Todd County's Legendary Deer

Being a native of Todd County I'd heard the story of this trophy buck for years. A few years back the Shell Shop in Hopkinsville acquired a repro mount of the deer. A few days ago they got a picture of the real thing. I thought yall might like to hear the story and see the picture. (Pictures below the story)

THE STORY (from http://www.huntstats.com/whitetail.deer.records.html)

1964 was Kentucky's first deer hunting season in 40 years and the season was only one day long. C. W. Shelton was going to make the most of this one day hunting season, even though it was raining and miserable. About mid afternoon C.W. climbed up into a big old tree to watch a well used game trail. It wasn't long before the buck named 'Big Red' was trotting down that same game trail and stopped in an opening only 50 yards away. C. W. pulled up his .44 magnum rifle and got off 4 shots as the buck turned to flee. The huge buck was hit hard and was struggling through the trees and brush with C. W. in hot pursuit firing many more shots as he went. As the huge buck struggled to get up the last time, C. W. fired two more shots for a grand total of 14 rounds. He finally had to finish the job with his knife. Big Red field dressed at 260 pounds and his antlers had an incredible outside spread of 34 4/8 inches. The gross score of this very wide rack is 201 3/8.

Hunter: C.W. Shelton
    Harvested: 1964
    No. of Points: 16
    Score: 185 2/8 Non-Typical

GunCat ~ Fairview, KY

Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue, and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.
    Fred Bear 1902-1988

That's alot of shots! Interesting........

Nice deer!......

If I had only one day to hunt ,I would be slinging lead to, when that monster came by. I think he got a bad case of big buck fever !!!!!!
    Life is short ,Hunt like you mean it...

His camo pattern is what landed that monster.
    Legalize it! The Atlatl I mean!!!

Looks very similar to the "Heart Attack" buck in the Drury videos.
    Official measurer, Boone and Crockett Club

Official measurer, Bluegrass Bulls and Bucks Club

Default Why he's called Big Red

Here's the story behind his name:

1964 was Kentucky's first deer hunting season in 40 years and the season was only one day long. C. W. Shelton was going to make the most of this one day hunting season, even though it was raining and miserable. About mid afternoon C.W. hiked out to an area he had scouted earlier. Upon arriving he carefully scanned the nearby woods to make sure no-one was watching him. Then he slid his hand into the pocket of his checked blazer and pulled out one of his wife's used tampon. Holding his nose with one hand and the tampon in the other he hung the scralet wafer onto a low hanging limb. C.W. then climbed up into a big old tree to watch a well used game trail. It wasn't long before the buck to be named 'Big Red' was trotting down that same game trail with his nose in the air. The buck was so focused on C.W.'s wife's thingie that he didnt' see C.W. in his LL bean blazer. The buck walked right up to the tampon and stopped to scent check it in an opening only 50 yards away. C. W. pulled up his .44 magnum rifle and got off 4 shots as the buck turned to flee, taking the tampon in tow. (Hence the buck got the name Big Red tagged to him). The huge buck was hit hard and was struggling through the trees and brush with C. W. in hot pursuit firing many more shots as he went. As the huge buck struggled to get up the last time, C. W. fired two more shots for a grand total of 14 rounds. He finally had to finish the job with his knife. The buck, Big Red field dressed at 260 pounds and his antlers had an incredible outside spread of 34 4/8 inches. The gross score of this very wide rack is 201 3/8. This secret method of attracting bucks would go on to be debated throughout the years to come, but one things for sure, Big Red is one heck of buck!!!! (Of course this story may not be true)

The picture you didn't see.

Last edited by CM12; 01-31-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Guncat,
    2 questions:
    Any word on where in Todd Co is was killed? Closest town etc?
    Also, what/where exactly is the Shell Shop in Hoptown? I assume a full line hunting shop? Reason I ask is I would like to support a local place like that. I would hate for Hopkinsville to turn out like Clarksville.
    Rag-Tag

CM12, that's just WRONG!! LOL LMFAO

I like CM's version better.I've heard of Big Red several times but never knew it took 14 rounds and a knife to kill him.I don't believe I'd told anyone the story if it took me that many times to get him down so I could finish him with a knife.Practice,Practice................
    Proudly serving up reality to the delusional

Thread Information