Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: # 1 deer attractant---homemade

Quote Originally Posted by gwhilikerz View Post
    I have been known to put vanilla extract on my boots when hunting. It works sometimes. I think it was russell hull that bottles something that has a vanilla smell that works also. Does the vanilla draw deer or cover scent? Depends on who you talk to.
    I've put vanilla extract on tree stumps and had deer come right over and start licking the spot.

Have you tried hunting without an attractant to see if you see more, or less deer? I used to use tinks and have tried a few other attractants and thought that I was seeing less deer than I do without it. I like to get some branches from a nearby cedar tree and rub that on my clothing as a cover, that way I am not introducing a totally new scent into the area I am hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5x55swedish View Post
    Have you tried hunting without an attractant to see if you see more, or less deer? I used to use tinks and have tried a few other attractants and thought that I was seeing less deer than I do without it. I like to get some branches from a nearby cedar tree and rub that on my clothing as a cover, that way I am not introducing a totally new scent into the area I am hunting.
    Heres a couple of all natural scents ,if you are hunting around cows , pick up a dry patty and rub it on your clothes and boots,you will blend right in. Heres another one ,if deer are going under a low fence wire , or jumping a fence in your area ,pick the hair off the fence they leave behind,mix it with distilled water and spray on. You will smell like the deer in your area.
    Life is short ,Hunt like you mean it...

Quote Originally Posted by fusion308 View Post
    Heres a couple of all natural scents ,if you are hunting around cows , pick up a dry patty and rub it on your clothes and boots,you will blend right in Heres another one ,if deer are going under a low fence wire , or jumping a fence in your area ,pick the hair off the fence they leave behind,mix it with distilled water and spray on. You will smell like the deer in your area.
    i dont like to get it on my hands ,so i just get on the ground and roll in it..

Quote Originally Posted by gwhilikerz View Post
    I have been known to put vanilla extract on my boots when hunting. It works sometimes. I think it was russell hull that bottles something that has a vanilla smell that works also. Does the vanilla draw deer or cover scent? Depends on who you talk to.
    Not sure about Russell Hull, but Dan Fitzgerald still markets some stuff he calls VK- "vanilla killa"

I made some of my own years ago after I saw it on one of his videos and used it a few times without any results. I caught his show on the Outdoor Channel a couple days ago and they're still selling it.
    It's not so much if you win or lose - it's how you shoot the flaming arrow while riding a camel.

http://www.unclelees.com/
    http://www.wingsupply.com/

Quote Originally Posted by quackrstackr View Post
    Not sure about Russell Hull, but Dan Fitzgerald still markets some stuff he calls VK- "vanilla killa"

I made some of my own years ago after I saw it on one of his videos and used it a few times without any results. I caught his show on the Outdoor Channel a couple days ago and they're still selling it.
    Hull's stuff was/is called Cover-Up.

Thumbs down

"Fishing lures are made to catch fishermen, not fish" I feel the same way about all these bottled scents.

6.5x55swedish,mind if I ask a ?. Do you use any type of scents and do you bow or gun hunt?
    Life is short ,Hunt like you mean it...

Quote Originally Posted by fusion308 View Post
    6.5x55swedish,mind if I ask a ?. Do you use any type of scents and do you bow or gun hunt?
    I mostly bow hunt, and I do not use any scents. That is not to say that I do not try and be a scent free as possible. I store my hunting clothing all year in plastic totes with the cedar branches that I mentioned earlier. I also only put the camo on in the woods and do not wear it back out. I did not have any luck with the store bought scents and I think I see more deer without it.

I usually take the Scent Free approach also, I use that White Lightning spray also.

I'll admit though, close to and during the rut I can't help but use a little estrous scent, and I've been known to make Mock scrapes too. Thats about all the scents I use though. In the mock scrapes I either use fresh me pee-pee or some bottled buck urine.
    "It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent"

Fred Bear

Thread Information