Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: sighting in crossbow

Default sighting in crossbow

Just got a crossbow and was wondering were most people zero in their sights. I bought an excalibur exocet200. I am shooting the carbon arrows they sell with a hundred grain tip. I don't really know anything about crossbows. But, I know this one shoots good. Thanks and May God BLess You All,
    Thomas
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

It really boils down to, are you using a scope or pins. If it is a scope does it have 3 or 4 verticals or just one. If you are using pins how many do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by theck
    Just got a crossbow and was wondering were most people zero in their sights. I bought an excalibur exocet200. I am shooting the carbon arrows they sell with a hundred grain tip. I don't really know anything about crossbows. But, I know this one shoots good. Thanks and May God BLess You All,
    Thomas

theck :

As nwebb stated .....what kind of sight system are you using?

I have a single red dot scope and have it zeroed at 30 yds . I'm about 1 1/2" high at 25yds ...2" at 20yds and about 2 1/2" at 15yds. I have quite a bit of drop between 30yds and 40yds....about 6" to be exact. My speed is around 320fps pushing a 425gr including broadhead carbon bolt. According to most manufactures ....the maximum effective hunting range is around 40yds.

Excalibur makes a fine rig and I know you will enjoy it . Crossbows like vertical bows have their limits and you will need to find the maximum distance you feel comfortable in taking a ethical shot . For me its 30yds and thats what I impose on myself in the stand . Yours may differ ...closer or further. Pins or scopes may make the difference also . Some scopes compensate for your crossbows speed and have multiple recticles that would be set for a longer shot than I will take with a single dot . On the other hand a simple pin system may limit you to closer shots to be comfortable . You will just have to experiment and see what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JDMiller
    theck :
    ....the maximum effective hunting range is around 40yds.
    One of the myths associated with crossbows is that they are some super weapon capable of amazing feats. At the recently held Crossbow Adv. Committee meeting one of the oppisition guys says they are about a 75 yd. effective range weapon, one of the others said that they can shoot 3.9" groups at 100 yds off a rest. Pretty good shooting, not real but sounds good to those that don't know.

As for the Excaliber, if you have the correct scope sold with the bow your using, it is meant to be zeroed at 20 yds. It has aiming points for other distances out to 50 yds. which is the practical maximum effective range. If you can get a 3.9" group at 50, you'll be doing above average.
    Last edited by Multidigits; 09-26-2005 at 04:40 AM.

Thanks for all the replies. I probably will just use the fiber optic pin that came with it. It has a green pin in the middle and a top and bottom post. Right now, it is zeroed at around 20 yds.
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Talking 200 yards! (joking)

I guess you SHOULD zero at 200 yards(since some think it's a "gun)

Maybe several feet high @ 100, but so what, they're "magic" so it probably doesn't matter how it's zeroed, or set up even....

Sorry, have never shot one, just had to "add" since some seem to think they're what they're NOT!

I have seen several shot, mostly by teens and women, AND if anyone can make a clean kill TWICE @ 100 yards(and NO not on the same animal) I want PROOF of it!(those 100 yard groups suggest it can be done??).....I have a feeling I'll be waiting a LONG time for the proof though!

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Only An Armed People Can Ever Be Truly Free ;
    Only An Unarmed People Can Ever Be Enslaved.
    Aristotle

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thread Information