Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raccoons are eating all of my corn!!

Default Raccoons are eating all of my corn!!

Any ideas on how to get rid of all of these raccoons? Not only are they eating a good percentage of my corn, they are also ganging up and keeping the deer off of the corn. I really don't want to put live traps or leg traps around the feeder. I don't want to turn a coon hunter loose on them either. As you might expect I want to keep the disturbance to a minimum. I've considered putting a can of spiked sardines up the tree but that is probably illegal not to mention secondary and unintended species being affected, so that's out. My wife says that they are cute and just feed them too and don't worry about it.

Default coons!

I had the same problem a few years ago.At the time I dealt with it till the season was oveer and spent the rest of the year thinning them out,but what I have try doing since is useing a timed feeder although you may still see one or two now and then.If you set you feeder to go off right before sun up and alittle before dark the coons dont seem to come out of the wood work till way later after dark. good luck!!!

These coons will also bust up your turkey nest if you have any. I say shoot them or poison them, that's the only way to get rid of them. Just my thoughts though, nobody get mad over killing a coon please.
    Worrying is like a rockin' chair, it gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere.

Coon hunting isn't very popular any more and trapping has almost died out completely. This has allowed the coon numbers to explode. I would invite a coon hunter to come in and thin them out. It will not run the deer to the next county. I read a study where they said coon hunting didn't bother the deer and that they will still use the same area after the coon hunters left. Also shoot everyone you see when they come out early enough. DO NOT poison them. If you can still find someone who traps they could come in after deer season and thin them out.

You should trap them or let someone hunt them. You could go along it's alot of fun to hear the dogs work. I bet those are very rough on your turkey population.
    Western Kentucky Boy

Put a 50 gal drum out with a bit of corn in the bottom than put a 2x6 ramp to it for the coons to climb up ,my neighbor does this in his barn. They climb in but cant get out.

If it were me, I'd much rather trap them and get them out of there before I'd open it up to hunters or start putting poison everywhere. I personally don't think that the coons bother deer as much as a group of hunters and loud dogs would..

It's really a losing battle IMO. You can't put out food and expect only one targeted animal to take advantage.. I'd just make some other feeding spots if the coons are ganging up. That way you spread things out a bit.
    What is written above is an OPINION. It may contain a mix of truth, fiction, BS, and sarcasm.

Cool

Shewt em !!

Like center_mass suggested a timed feeder will really help out with the coon and other critters eating all your corn. I had the same problem with coons and squirrels and it really helped out a lot.
    Judging by those pics though it really looks like you've got an overpopulation of coons there. I'd suggest thinning them out. Trapping and hunting them will no doubt spook the deer a little but they'll be back to normal in no time. If you're a turkey hunter you'll probably be kicking yourself next spring if you don't get rid of them.

Thats alot of coons... I would say put out more corn.... or try and bait the coons in to another area until deer season is over. Looking on the up side if they are scaring the deer off at night???? That means the deer have to come in during the day... they might help your hunt
    We should wish to live in peace, If you starve, I starve, If you eat, I eat. (Sheheke 1804)

Thread Information