Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Appalachian Outlaws

I watched about half an episode a while back, couldn't stand it. At least its not in Kentucky.

iv saned all my life and that is the stupidest show ever

Apparently there is a lot more ginseng in West Virginia than in my part of Kentucky. Those guys appear to dig 4 or 5 pounds a day, and it dries in a week......for some reason I doubt that. It is scripted, just like Moonshiners and Swamp People, only worse I think. I'm just glad it's WV that's being made to look stupid.

I have caught part of two shows. I guess none of those guys have regular jobs.
    Again, you must have never read the rules ?. . . They give out ''FREE BOOKS'' for dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedman View Post
    I have caught part of two shows. I guess none of those guys have regular jobs.
    Who needs a regular job when "fresh" ginseng brings 1000+ per pound, and apparently grows like fescue in WV. I don't know who they expect to believe all this, but if you've dealt with ginseng at all you have to know its all fake. Last year I sold some completely dried at 850 per lb. I just hope this show doesn't make people start thinking ginseng is gold and start trampling everything in the woods looking for it.

does ginseng bring that kind of money? I never knew what ginseng looked like until last fall when I was looking for the buck I shot. My uncle pointed it out to me....

$850.00 per dried lb. was the best I found last year. From what I've read/been told it takes around 3 fresh lbs to make a dried lb. So the ridiculous prices they have on this show just blow my mind, wondering how they come up with such. I guess it makes for a more interesting show...

I know where some ginseng patches are that would get you shot, but it's a planted crop. Not sure how many pounds would be there but I would say a lot. It was seeded probably 40 years ago.

I never could do much good digging it. I enjoy doing it though. Lets me do a lot of deer scouting during late summer/early fall.

I think it's an entertaining "reality" tv show. You guys act like you're surprised when you find out one of these shows like this is fake. Non of that crap on tv is real, you just have to treat it like Monday night wrestling, and watch it for the entertainment factor. All I know is them guys are serious about ginseng, and it grows in massive amounts over there lol
    I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target but as a living creature with more freedoms than i will ever have. I take that life if i can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature's ways of fang and claw, or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than i bestow.
    - Fred Bear

The camera shots of the mountains they show from helicopters or planes are beautiful. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't watch it because it's "fake". Exactly how many shows do you think are actually real? Brady Bunch?
    Bambi's mom was a management doe.

Thread Information