Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: TC Hawken or Lyman Great Plains Rifle?

Default TC Hawken or Lyman Great Plains Rifle?

Which would you buy? & Why? I'm thinking about getting one of these soon, hopefully in .50cal.

I know the Lyman GPR goes for about $550?, and the TC goes for whatever I can buy it for on Gun Broker ($350 - $400) range? Are these estimates reasonable?

Check all the used prices, and get the best deal. The condition of the bore is everything, and a really slick looking rifle can have a useless bore, so be careful buying unseen over the net.

Is the GPR still sold new? They were solid rifles back in the day.
    'But I would rather have it bent and dull and know I had to put it on the grindstone again and hammer it into shape and put a whetstone to it, and know that I had something to write about, than to have it bright and shining and nothing to say, or smooth and well-oiled in the closet, but unused.
    E. Hemingway

You know, if you put spaghetti sauce on on your ramen noodles, it tastes just like broken dreams and disappointment.
    My college son

The GPR is still sold new, they're a bit pricey. Track of the Wolf has them.

The Great Plains Rifle hands down. I started out with a TC Hawken and it was fine but then my Dad bought a GPR and it was a far better rifle in my opinion. It has a longer barrel and I like the fact that it does not have all the Brass on it. My brother and I got 1 each of the .50's for Christmas about 30+ years ago and we still hunt with them every year and have taken many a Deer with them. They use to make it in .54 and .58 calibers as well. I even bought the companion pistol for mine and shoot it here and there. I know it is a bit more money but I really do think you will be more satisfied with the Lyman.
    Will somone wake me when the Revolution starts, please............

Between the rifles you mentioned.... there's actually a big difference between the two and something to think about pending what you intend to do with it.

While I fully agree their both great rifles .... the Lyman GPR is a 1-60" twist rate barrel.... great for round balls ... but a little slow to stabilize heavier conicals / maxi-balls accuracy wise.

The TC Hawken has a 1-48" twist ..... normally considered the middle ground being fast enough to stabilize the heavier conical but also works well with accuracy concerning round balls too.

So.... if your intentions are to deer hunt with this rifle ... the TC Hawken will give you more flexibility on accuracy with different bullet choices than the GPR. Which again.... the Lyman GPR is a great rifle and considered to be one of the more historically accurate copies of Hawkens ever produced ... but it is a patched round ball shooter to simply put it.

However ..you didn't mention it ...but Lyman does produce the Great Plains "Hunter" rifle .... which is a 1-32" twist. Which it's basically the GPR with a faster twist rate giving you the versatility you get with the TC Hawken.

Lyman's are great muzzleloaders and I've had one of their Trade Rifles for 20+ years .... great shooter as well. Which.... if you asked between the TC Hawken & the GPH ... I'd pick the Lyman hands down.

Specs on the GPR : http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/m...ains-rifle.php

Specs on the GPH : http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/m...ins-hunter.php

Wow....Buds guns just went up $50 on the GPR...in .54 cal it was $473 just 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been out of traditional muzzle loaders for quite a few years, during the muzzleloader season, I've been using a straight line for the last couple of years.

patiodaddy - They still make the GPR in 54 cal, but I think that's a bit much for deer. Also it's a lot harder to get 54cal stuff at the LGS in my area, except through mail order.

JDMiller - What do you recommend between the Lyman GP Hunter & the Trade rifle. Do you know if the Trade rifle will handle projectiles other than round ball. My intention is to use the rifle for hunting, but call me crazy, I like the period look.

Quote Originally Posted by xHwyLt View Post
    JDMiller - What do you recommend between the Lyman GP Hunter & the Trade rifle. Do you know if the Trade rifle will handle projectiles other than round ball. My intention is to use the rifle for hunting, but call me crazy, I like the period look.
    Yes ... lol... I know the Trade Rifle will handle more than round balls.

That was the whole point of my post ... you will get better accuracy with a rifle that has a 1-48" twist or faster .... if you have intentions to shoot heavier conical style bullets for deer hunting. Guns with a 1-60" or 1-66" are considered "round ball" rifles from this aspect. Which is not to say a round ball wont kill a deer and some die hard traditional guys wouldn't consider anything else. There was some even some states such as Pennsylvania required hunters to use round balls .... but I don't know if they still do. However... and I've seen this first hand... a round ball has a tendency to flatten out & not penetrate very well with any bone contact ... in turn their lighter grain weight in comparison to conicals / maxi-balls / buffalo-bullets doesn't transfer as much energy. Which until you see the impact & results of a muzzleloader delivering a 400+ grain projectile on a whitetail it's hard to explain.

As far as between the Trade Rifle & GPH ... it's just a matter of choice based on what you want and willing to spend.

I bought the Trade Rifle a long time ago when KDF&WR's announced the early 2 day season in October ... which up until then we only had a December season for muzzleloaders. It was a no frills ..single trigger rifle that then could be bought all day long for less than $175 in comparison to TC's New Englander. Which I wanted a decent / cheap muzzle loader set-up for deer hunting ..period... since I had other muzzle loaders for competitive shoots & small game.

Ultimately out of trial & error to improve accuracy with the Hornady Great Plains & Buffalo Bullets I used at the time chose to go with the Lyman 57sml peep sight. This gave me better adjustability than with the factory buck-horn sights and groups were honestly quite impressive up to 100 yds. Which in comparison to todays scoped in-lines it's nothing spectacular but no doubt the gun was a deer killer.

However... if I were in your situation between the two (Trade Rifle or GPH)... honestly I'd go with the GPH if cost were not an issue. Gives you set triggers.. longer barrel.. faster twist rate .. overall styling, hardware / furniture & double wedges appeal to me. Just a fine rifle on all accounts. However both are "traditional" & "period" rifles. One being a historically accurate Hawken reproduction and the other(Trade Rifle) a copy of the Henry & Leman rifle.

Heres a couple pics of my Trade Rifle...

JDMiller - Great looking rifle, I have to find a LGS that has one of these on the shelf, so I can see how it fits me. Thanks for the advice.

Thread Information