Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Best way to store homemade jerky?

Default Best way to store homemade jerky?

I recently got into making jerky. I've got several batches now made.

I used "cure" and it's all cool, dry, and in the fridge for right now laying loose in a couple of casserole dishes.

What's the best way to store it? I don't have a vacuum sealer, so that option is out.

Do I just put it in Ziploc bags and keep it in the fridge, or should I freeze it and take it out as needed?

Someone told me that putting it into Ziplocs in the fridge would cause mold...so I'm not sure what to do now.

Any suggestions?

Ziploc and freeze. Use as needed, and put a vaccuum sealer on your xmas list.
    "Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

Good grief... people used to make jerky out of meat to PRESERVE it. Any airtight container or bag should be fine, just to keep moisture out and prevent molding. If you're lucky enough to have a LOT of it or far less people around to eat it, it might be worthwhile to stick it in the freezer... again, just to keep moisture out.

I think I will put the vacuum sealer on my list...seems like I could really get some use out of it.

I'll just put it in Ziplocs and freeze it for now.

I put 9 lbs of meat into the dehydrator Sunday and Monday, got 4 more to do tonight.

Trying to free up some freezer space!

With as good as this jerky tastes, I don't think it will last too long at the duck hunting house.

You can also just put it in a brown paper bag for several weeks. I wouldn't keep it in plastic unless its in the fridge. The paper bag will let it breath.

I store long term in the vacuum seal bags. It comes out tasting better after a few months in the freezer. Seems the smoke and flavor comes out better. I would think any freezer bag would work fine for a few months.
    "I hate rude behavior in a man. I wont tolerate it."

Thread Information