Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a deer processor

Default looking for a deer processor

Does anyone know of a deer processor that is open on Sundays? Needs to be somewhere close to Lexington, Madison co. Rockcastle co. Pulaski co. Areas. Or maybe a way to find a list of of butchers, and address.

Here is at least a partial list

http://www.huntersforhungry.org/defa...ve_page_id=101

If you get over toward Lawrenceburg in Anderson county, Markwells is one of the best I have seen. Clean, excellent work, quick processing, great sticks and sausage
    "bacon tastes good, porkchops tastes good." Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction

Jerry Chandlers in Winchester, not too far from Lexington.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job."

Jose Ortegay Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Second vote for Markwells. If you like spicey food, he makes some fine breakfast sausage and jalapeno summer sausage.

There is one up in Crab Orchard. I cannot think of his name, Amish guy.
    Again, you must have never read the rules ?. . . They give out ''FREE BOOKS'' for dumb people.

J&V is the one near crab orchard but he isn't open on Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by keith meador View Post
    Second vote for Markwells. If you like spicey food, he makes some fine breakfast sausage and jalapeno summer sausage.
    I am going to have to make the trip this year. I have yet to try a breakfast sausage that was better than "meh" excluding one batch of my own. I've made bout 6 batches and they were just ok except for the venison gut sausage that I made and smoked one time. It was great but a lot of work....made 42 lbs of it.

Name:  the old days 001.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  950.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by KYBH4Life View Post
    I am going to have to make the trip this year. I have yet to try a breakfast sausage that was better than "meh" excluding one batch of my own. I've made bout 6 batches and they were just ok except for the venison gut sausage that I made and smoked one time. It was great but a lot of work....made 42 lbs of it.
    I will tell you this. If you don't really enjoy eating hot, sit and talk with him before you commit. He makes some very good sausage, and if you ask for hot, you better understand what he calls hot. It's nothing I can't handle, but the family didn't like the heat.

I use the hot sausage in baked beans with sweet baby rays, mustard, brown sugar and jalapenos. It's simple, and most folks seem to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by keith meador View Post
    I will tell you this. If you don't really enjoy eating hot, sit and talk with him before you commit. He makes some very good sausage, and if you ask for hot, you better understand what he calls hot. It's nothing I can't handle, but the family didn't like the heat.

I use the hot sausage in baked beans with sweet baby rays, mustard, brown sugar and jalapenos. It's simple, and most folks seem to like it.
    surely he has samples doesn't he? We like hot in my household. Jalapenos are candy for me and my son and the wife likes them too. Daughter may not like but she's gaining ground on heat tolerance. How much per lb?

Quote Originally Posted by KYBH4Life View Post
    surely he has samples doesn't he? We like hot in my household. Jalapenos are candy for me and my son and the wife likes them too. Daughter may not like but she's gaining ground on heat tolerance. How much per lb?
    I don't recall prices, but it didn't seem out of line. I had some regular sausage, hot sausage, summer sausage with hot pepper jack and pepper, summer sausage with jalapeno and hot pepperjack and pepper made last year. I basically told him everything that wouldn't make a steak or chop to grind into equal parts of everything listed above.

Yes, he has samples. I suggest calling him now, and paying a visit to sample his goods. Take a drink along with you, you may need it.

Thread Information