Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Landowner tags.

Default Landowner tags.

I have 3 questions about landowner tags. 1. How much are they ? 2. Would the landowner let me hunt on their property or would I have to go somewhere else. 3. What keeps the landowner from getting into trouble with the IRS from the extra income ? I would go gray thinking of that.

Landowners get an either sex tag for every 5,000 acres they allow public WMA hunting on. If they only allow public elk hunting they only get a cow tag. They can give it away, use it or sell it. It or they are only valid on that property that is open to the public. I have heard of them selling for $5,000 to $10,000 dollars. As far as the IRS, it's no different than any other income, if they don't report it they can certainly be penalized by the IRS. Some of the mines signed 50,000+ acres into the program, that's 10 tags to sell or allow buddies to use. I wish I was one of those buddies!
    Any day outdoors is a good day...

Official Measurer B&C and P&Y

Nikon D300, D7000 Nikon 200-400 VR tele-zoom lens for wildlife.

Visit my photo gallery:

http://joelacefield.com

I turkey hunt and deer hunt on a couple of the wma's that are open because of the landowner elk tags. Great places to hunt that don't get much pressure. Gun hunted opening weekend of deer modern firearm season and only seen 3 or 4 other hunters all day.
    Got elk?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CSS archer View Post
    Landowners get an either sex tag for every 5,000 acres they allow public WMA hunting on. If they only allow public elk hunting they only get a cow tag. They can give it away, use it or sell it. It or they are only valid on that property that is open to the public. I have heard of them selling for $5,000 to $10,000 dollars. As far as the IRS, it's no different than any other income, if they don't report it they can certainly be penalized by the IRS. Some of the mines signed 50,000+ acres into the program, that's 10 tags to sell or allow buddies to use. I wish I was one of those buddies!
    Looks like I'm going to try to get one the poor way. $10 lottery. I probably won't ever get drawn. Because of health problems, I'm allowing myself 5 years to win one after that I'll be unable to stand the hard terrain. I'm not worried about myself, I just feel for the ones that have been putting for the lottery every year and still haven't won, and probably won't ever. Good luck anyway guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinwheel8 View Post
    I turkey hunt and deer hunt on a couple of the wma's that are open because of the landowner elk tags. Great places to hunt that don't get much pressure. Gun hunted opening weekend of deer modern firearm season and only seen 3 or 4 other hunters all day.
    I'm glad you had better luck than I did hunting public land. I hunted one time years ago and I still have a bad taste in my mouth from it.

Thread Information