Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burying Skull for European Mount?

Default Burying Skull for European Mount?

Has anybody ever buried a skull in order to do a european mount? If so, what all do you need to do in the process and how well does it work?

I've never done a deer, but have done many longhorn skulls. I strip the hide now, take off all the tissue I can, and hang from a low limb with wire. Make sure it's high enough a dog can't get to it, and low enough a squirrel want chew the rack. I have only done them in the summer when maggots are out and about. I bleach the skull when it's done curing, and spray with a rattle can of clear varnish.

Heres a link to an earlier thread that had some info

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forum...04-Skull-Mount

I've burried one...it takes a while, especially right now with the cold weather. I would say it will be spring before you see any results. Also the Sun will beach the antlers if u don't cover them with with a bag or something. Turkey cooker is the quickest method.

Its simple to just simmer it in very hot water. Then you can use a high pressure sprayer to clean it up if you want. Just turn the throttle down and don't hit it too hard. It will be spotless and you will be done in no time. I have access to hot condensate from a large boiler and it will have it ready in about 4 hours.
    "I hate rude behavior in a man. I wont tolerate it."

I skinned this one out, then buried it in the flowerbed in November. Dug it up next April, and just had to rinse off the dirt. Had a plastic tub over the antlers.

Quote Originally Posted by ITLXLR8 View Post
    I skinned this one out, then buried it in the flowerbed in November. Dug it up next April, and just had to rinse off the dirt. Had a plastic tub over the antlers.

You lost a lot of the nose, that part is very fragile. Like Wildman said "Simmer" not boil and it's easy. Also NEVER bleach only use commercial peroxide.

If it's still movin' keep shootin'

Hey guys, my husband has a euro mount that is just nasty looking, all yellow/gray instead of nice & white. He "did it himself" and it just never whitened up. Is there any way to whiten it? Someone said bleach? Someone else said peroxide? Would either one work on a 4 or 5 year old skull?
    "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans!"

I have several that I've buried. When you dig them up, be careful and you can get the nose pieces. They just pull out. Clean it up good with soap and water and let dry. Then I put garbage bags over each antler, taping around the bases. Get some pure white or pearl spray paint and paint the the whole scull. Inside and out. I think it looks awesome! I have 5 and one in the ground now. I dont have a close up but will post a picture on here today. By the way It takes an hour to do this and $4 for paint. I dont skin the head or ever cut off the ears. The bugs take care of everything. I have used a big tin tub with a block on top and a recycle bin.. I call this my 2.5 year old wall. I have an itchy fingure when the season winds down and my bow gets too cold to hold. lol

Last edited by slimshad; 11-29-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: adding a sentence
    Inter-Net Hunter!

Thumbs up

Lady Hunter,
    Start out by cleaning with paper towels and spray cleaner. Get some good strong commercial grade peroxide from a hair dresser. Apply peroxide and it will bleach it white. Be careful and use Latex gloves.

Thread Information