Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Grouse Hunting

Default Kentucky Grouse Hunting

My uncle and I are beginners at hunting upland birds and we are wanting to start grouse hunting in Kentucky. We live in Northern Kentucky and were trying to find some information on habitat as well as a good place to start. All of the articles on habitat seem to be based more upon the states up north, rather than in Kentucky, and the few people we know that hunt grouse, haven't hunted in Kentucky for quite some time. I am not looking for anyone's personal spots, but rather a general area as well as prime habitat.

I have seen them in Morehead and in Knott Co. before but not a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by chris149 View Post
    I have seen them in Morehead and in Knott Co. before but not a lot of them.
    This guy is correct. There is one in Morehead and another one in Knott County. Probably 7 or 8 scattered between them, though the numbers may be down this year.
    Save your money and drive north. From Cincinnati you can be in the north grouse woods in 8 hours. If you want to punish yourself in KY, start with the Daniel Boone NF. Contact them and find any logging done in past 10 years. Try that.
    I have never been banned from a county fair

What GSP said is good advice.. Lewis county also has one grouse if grouseguy didnt kill it last year. Scratch out the Morehead bird Rick he was taken out by a garbage truck speeding out 801.
    If they fly together they die together....

There are two types of hunting. ordinary hunting ,and ruffed grouse hunting...... Aldo Leopold

The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals..... Sam Elliott

Quote Originally Posted by GSP View Post
    This guy is correct. There is one in Morehead and another one in Knott County. Probably 7 or 8 scattered between them, though the numbers may be down this year.
    Save your money and drive north. From Cincinnati you can be in the north grouse woods in 8 hours. If you want to punish yourself in KY, start with the Daniel Boone NF. Contact them and find any logging done in past 10 years. Try that.
    I agree head north and spoil yourself on flat terrain and plenty of birds. Then come back down to Kentucky to chase them in rough terrain and very few birds once you gain a little experience.
    "If guns kill people, I can blame misspelled words on my pencil"

Sad to say it but grouse hunting in Ky is in the tubes. Few and far between, wish it wasn't so. I agree go north if you can..

If the 10 year cycle holds true, next year should be at the top of the cycle. Back in 03-04 my cirle of 5 friends killed 119 I believe it was. Been on the drop every since with the last 4-5 being steep declines.

If grouse had antlers kdfwr would be all over them.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDunn View Post
    If the 10 year cycle holds true, next year should be at the top of the cycle. Back in 03-04 my cirle of 5 friends killed 119 I believe it was. Been on the drop every since with the last 4-5 being steep declines.

In my neck of the woods there hasnt been any cycle whatsoever since the to early to mid 90's. There was a few birds around in the mid 90's and when it fell off it hasnt went up any as far as ive seen . It seemed like you guys had a better population for a little longer than we did and I hope yours peake back like there supposed to but I really dont hold out much hope around here. I think there is something else going on besides a cycle whether its disease , predators,habitat I dont know but they simply are not here. Ive hunted Grouse for alot of years and I know what they live in , while there isnt an abundance of good habitat there is enough to hold birds around here and there always was plenty to hunt . I hunted very hard last year as work was slow for most of the season and I killed a grand total of 12 birds. I dont have the best dogs around but they know how to find a grouse and they simply arent there. When I go into an area of roughly 3000 acres of absolutly prime habitat and fly 3 birds something is going on . I had several days flying 30+ woodcock and never see a grouse. I just really wish Grouse had the ear of the department because i think there in serious trouble in our state . I see so many younger hunters or just hunters in general who havent had the opportunity to see how absolutly fantastic grouse hunting is and just how much fun it can be.
    If they fly together they die together....

There are two types of hunting. ordinary hunting ,and ruffed grouse hunting...... Aldo Leopold

The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals..... Sam Elliott

Took a guy grouse hunting today with us. First time and shot his first grouse. Hunted in Pike County.

Thread Information