Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is gun season in rut?

Quote Originally Posted by sniperflash View Post
    First off I have two nice deer on my wall and I passed three small bucks today. I just don't under stand some one who is not a sportsman would know what a trophy is to someone. If somebody killed a spike that is what they wanted that is what got their heart pumped so they can kill what ever they want. Just go and enjoy your time in the woods and kill what you see fit. People like to kill soothing every year and if you wait on a big buck guess what that don't happen every year so just congratulate them and go on that's all we can do
    I see your point. He has some bucks on trail cam picked out that he wants.

He killed a big 8 this morning. I'm glad he waited. If I figure out how to post pics I will.

Im not bashing him its good that he wants a good one and im glad he held out for the eight can't wait to see pics

I dont think it happens during the rut every year just depends on the weather. They dont plan seasons for us hunters they do it to reduce the heard to management numbers for a numerious amount of reasons. But like said if gun season falls during the rut there will be awhole lot more bigger bucks killed then if it happend before or after ther rut.
    Mathews DXT+Muzzy=Death

Quote Originally Posted by closingthedistance View Post
    I personally don't mind people shooting young bucks, that way these guys that aren't really hunters will go home. Every year four wheelers running everywhere, poachers riding the roads, guys walking around instead of actually hunting, etc. Today was more like a circus than hunting.

I would so totally agree !!!!

I don't think anyone was bashing. Everybody likes something different. If we wanted meat it would have been a young doe. Just to shoot a buck, a basket. He wanted one to mount. I bought him trail cameras, and let him go to work. I started following this forum to self educate 1. To lease farms and manage them better. 2. To also help my son with his hunting endeavors. I would rather be any where than hunting, although I did enjoy turkey hunting. Some day he will be able to go without me. This site is very informative. I hunted as a teenager a little, never after that. I just sat in the edges of a bean field. What little I know, I have learned here. For me it's about managing the deer. I want big ones for my hunters, and my son on the farm he hunts. I still think there would be more big deer if more people waited for a big one. Just my 2 cents.

Some of the most consistent states at producing quality mature deer all have firearm seasons either before or after the rut, except Nebraska who has a firearm season half as long as ours. Kansas has a firearm season before rut, and after. Nebraska has only a week long firearm season during the middle of November, Illinois has only a 3 day firearm season in the middle of November and another 3 day season nov 30- dec 2. And Iowa, the so called land of the giants, has two separate weeks of shotgun season in December. These states are doing something right, but this is completely just an opinion. Ky gun season needs to be shortened, pushed back to late November early December or do a 3 day weekend mid November and like a 9 day season early December. I do believe the youth seasons are perfect for Kentuck as well as muzzleloader. Again, this is just my opinion. I may have left out muzzleloader season in those states as I feel they have a minimal affect on the population.

My thoughts exactly. My son had a morning blind, and an afternoon blind based on his trail cam pics. I'm sure rut made his chances better, but he did do some homework. The rubes in TSC buying a bunch of crap last minute will probably get lucky as well due to the rut. They'll kill an immature deer with a lot of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by funky split brow's View Post
    Some of the most consistent states at producing quality mature deer all have firearm seasons either before or after the rut, except Nebraska who has a firearm season half as long as ours. Kansas has a firearm season before rut, and after. Nebraska has only a week long firearm season during the middle of November, Illinois has only a 3 day firearm season in the middle of November and another 3 day season nov 30- dec 2. And Iowa, the so called land of the giants, has two separate weeks of shotgun season in December. These states are doing something right, but this is completely just an opinion. Ky gun season needs to be shortened, pushed back to late November early December or do a 3 day weekend mid November and like a 9 day season early December. I do believe the youth seasons are perfect for Kentuck as well as muzzleloader. Again, this is just my opinion. I may have left out muzzleloader season in those states as I feel they have a minimal affect on the population.
    Kentucky is one of those "consistantly producing" states

Thread Information