Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Quota Hunts 2012

Default Kentucky Quota Hunts 2012

Just checking to see who had some luck this weekend. Hunted Green River and saw several deer including three eight pointers; biggest around 130. Checked out and saw several decent deer were killed but nothing bigger than around 140. In my opinion that doesnt say much for the area when you have approximately 400 hunters on around 20,000 acres of prime deer habitat that is managed with 15 inch antler size restrictions. Just seems like there would be more quality deer killed in an area such as this.

it has went down hill drastically throughout the years

I agree...I live in the area and killed a 152" buck on the hunt exactly ten years ago from this past weekend... I would say the disease from a few years back could still be possibly having a minimal effect but it doesnt appear to me the overall numbers are down.

Hunted paintsville lake quota this weekend. Place was a ghost town! There was seven bucks killed the whole weeked! LOL what a joke that hunt turned out to be!
    If u guys could get drawn for any WMA u wanted which one would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckhunter1 View Post
    Hunted paintsville lake quota this weekend. Place was a ghost town! There was seven bucks killed the whole weeked! LOL what a joke that hunt turned out to be!
    None since they went away from bonus tags

I think the bonus tag is the problem with the numbers down. If you saw a 130" 8 point on the WMA when it was a bonus tag, you would have shot. If you are not gonna shoot a deer like that, then do like me and just hunt your own, leave the WMA's to those that don't have their own land/lease and rely on the public land. I'm sure someone would have love to have shot that 8 point, while you are sitting back saying, "Nah, he's not big enough."

Not picking on you, but if you are trophy hunting, and have your own land/lease, the Quota hunts are not for your breed of hunter anymore. Granted, it should get better with the trophy hunters passing all these "legal" bucks. Voice your opinion, let the KDFW know that you are unhappy that it isn't a bonus tag anymore.

I know thats your opinion and thats fine but I disagree. Even though the area did not produce this weekend it is loaded with potential. I do probably 90% of my bowhunting on the WMA and try and rifle hunt near the areas due to me not having any other prime hunting areas elsewhere in the county. I live probably five minutes from there and it doesnt make sense for me not to send in and gain an extra weekend of hunting during the rut. When your farm is surrounded by individuals who continually shoot young bucks just so they can claim to have killed a buck you have to look for as many other opportunities as you can. It seems to me after you kill a small buck after small buck year after year you will eventually loose the thrill and maybe start harvesting does. Especially if you plan on eating them

Quote Originally Posted by Bullrunner25 View Post
    In my opinion that doesnt say much for the area when you have approximately 400 hunters on around 20,000 acres of prime deer habitat that is managed with 15 inch antler size restrictions.
    I think it shows that a 15 inch spread limit does not make a booner grow behind every tree.
    Take a kid hunting. Grow the sport!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckhunter1 View Post
    You said right man, this is probally the worst WMA in the state when it comes to deer, we were just starting to get a decent herd about 10 yr ago and then they decided to let everyone shoot the does with firearm. It has gone straight downhill since then and there is little to no food plotting done except for two areas. So much more could be done but it won't because we can't change the things that need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullrunner25 View Post
    I know thats your opinion and thats fine but I disagree. Even though the area did not produce this weekend it is loaded with potential. I do probably 90% of my bowhunting on the WMA and try and rifle hunt near the areas due to me not having any other prime hunting areas elsewhere in the county. I live probably five minutes from there and it doesnt make sense for me not to send in and gain an extra weekend of hunting during the rut. When your farm is surrounded by individuals who continually shoot young bucks just so they can claim to have killed a buck you have to look for as many other opportunities as you can. It seems to me after you kill a small buck after small buck year after year you will eventually loose the thrill and maybe start harvesting does. Especially if you plan on eating them
    I agree with you in that you are the type of hunter that needs to apply. I know some that have prime hunting ground and trophy hunt, put in for green to try for a 150" deer. That is the type I'm talking about. They just remove a tag for someone that don't have a good spot to hunt. You hunt it a lot, so yeah I'd put in as well if I were you.

Thread Information