Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Carter County

Default Carter County

Anyone familiar with Carter County Olive Hill area. I am working on rights to hunt around 200 acres close to the city of Olive Hill off 3298. Just curious on deer population and poachers. I know this property has been recently logged just looking for some insight to the area.

Thanks

I live in Boyd if you are really lucky you could run into a 140 in that area. It would be like hitting the lottery shooting something over 150. But you should be able to run in to some nice shooters chasing soon no matter if it is logged or not. About poachers, what are you trying to find out?

There is a good deer population there I used to see them dead all the time last year when I would drive to Lexington from Ashland 2 times a week.

Sorry, not familiar with that area. If its been logged recently then I definately wouldnt pay anything for it as a lease. Thats pretty close to town (looked on map) and I'de imagine it gets some traffic and those roadside fields seem to be a poachers favorite. Lazy people. It sounds like you may suspect poaching??? Are you from nearby?
    At the end of the water
    A red sun is risin'
    And the stars are all goin' away
    And if you're too busy talkin'
    You're not busy listenin'
    To hear what the land has to say

Quiet your mind - ZBB

Got family in Olive Hill. Used to lease timber property. Lots of tresspassers and ATVs. Decent amoubr of poaching to deal with. Part of the culture, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
    Got family in Olive Hill. Used to lease timber property. Lots of tresspassers and ATVs. Decent amoubr of poaching to deal with. Part of the culture, sadly.
    I'm afraid I have to agree. It doesnt seem as bad since they brought on the no shine law but thats just one kinda poacher. The ones that do the most damage are the ones with high-powered muzzleloaders and bows. I will say it has gotten better around here but still happens alot.
    At the end of the water
    A red sun is risin'
    And the stars are all goin' away
    And if you're too busy talkin'
    You're not busy listenin'
    To hear what the land has to say

Quiet your mind - ZBB

I live in Olive Hill, hunt around here quite a bit. It's all about the amount of pressure in the surrounding area and the neighbors to the land you're talking about. If you have found a spot that is kinda of tucked away or for some reason not hunted much then there is a very good chance for some nice bucks. There are big deer around, just takes a lot of scouting and luck to find them. Plenty of 110-120 inch bucks, if there is not much hunting pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpStation View Post
    Anyone familiar with Carter County Olive Hill area. I am working on rights to hunt around 200 acres close to the city of Olive Hill off 3298. Just curious on deer population and poachers. I know this property has been recently logged just looking for some insight to the area.

Thanks
    I lived there for years. Hunted it for years and still make four or five weekend trips and one week long trip to hunt up there. Tons of deer. Yea poachers are there, but they are everywhere you go this day in time. As for your lease, your judgement call is what will determine it. There are plenty of deer and a lot of GOOD bucks there.
    "...........Everyone knows arrows don't fly straight on a northwest wind."- MathewsZ7man.

Late response sorry.
    No its a friend of a friends families property (lol). We are planning a trip around Nov 17th to head down. Probably be a spot and stalk kinda hunt get me some exercise and a chance to use the new 30-30 contender with a red dot. Should be a quiet area as long as the neighbors have stayed out.... doubtful. Thanks for the heads up though guys.

Lived there for a few years, hunted there for many years until the state finaly bought the farm. Poaching is problematic there as anywhere.......many good bucks running that area, by the time you get there on the 17th the bucks will be run ragged.

How bad was the place logged out?
    Gold is money, Sliver is money.......How much is that pocket cotton worth today?

Thread Information