Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Cash back on a food stamp card (EBT)??????

Angry Cash back on a food stamp card (EBT)??????

I got this in an email from a friend who actually saw this happen....

I did not know you could get cash back on a food stamp card.
    THIS IS JUST ONE OF THE 47%---RIDING THE WAGON!!!!
    Under the heading of "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS", this is an actual event that I personally witnessed and was a part of today.

At approximately 2:30ish pm, September 6, 2012, I entered theKroger store on SR 28 in Goshen Ohio to pick up a few items. I gathered myitems and went to the 10 and under register to check-out. The person in frontof me (white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hair do,clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase onthe check out surface - ONE GRAPE. Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE. The cashierasked if that was all, she replied yes. The cashier then weighted the GRAPE andtold the women the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS), the women then pulled out her EBTcard (credit card for food stamps) and swiped it through the credit cardmachine, requesting $24.00 in cash back. The cashier asked if she wanted theGRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can. Theregister recorded the sale as .02, cash back $24.00, credit .02, total $24.00cash back. The cashier then asked if two fives would be okay because was out oftens, the woman agreed and took the $24.00 folded it up and put it in herpocket and left the store.
    As the next person in line I asked the cashier "as a taxpayer what in the hell just happened here?" She said she was on the clockand could not comment. I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchaseand discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her EBT card. The cashier respondedthat it happens all day every day in their store. She also said that if theperson buying the GRAPE has it ring up over .02 they get mad and make herreweigh it. My next comment was to ask the cashier if she planned to vote inNovember and she said she could hardly wait for 11/6/12 to get here as one taxpayer to another. I paid for my groceries, in cash, and left the store madderthan 10 wet hens.
    This is not one of those stories that a friend of a friend told afriend - I WITNESSED THIS AND WOULD LOVE TO TESTIFY IN COURT TO WHAT I SAW,however, it is apparently not illegal to go into a grocery store and buy aGRAPE, throw it away and take cash back from a food stamp EBT card and walk outthe door. If she is so poor she needs food stamps why in the hell didn't shebuy groceries.

"If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hunter View Post
    I got this in an email from a friend who actually saw this happen....

I did not know you could get cash back on a food stamp card.
    THIS IS JUST ONE OF THE 47%---RIDING THE WAGON!!!!
    Under the heading of "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS", this is an actual event that I personally witnessed and was a part of today.

At approximately 2:30ish pm, September 6, 2012, I entered theKroger store on SR 28 in Goshen Ohio to pick up a few items. I gathered myitems and went to the 10 and under register to check-out. The person in frontof me (white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hair do,clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase onthe check out surface - ONE GRAPE. Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE. The cashierasked if that was all, she replied yes. The cashier then weighted the GRAPE andtold the women the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS), the women then pulled out her EBTcard (credit card for food stamps) and swiped it through the credit cardmachine, requesting $24.00 in cash back. The cashier asked if she wanted theGRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can. Theregister recorded the sale as .02, cash back $24.00, credit .02, total $24.00cash back. The cashier then asked if two fives would be okay because was out oftens, the woman agreed and took the $24.00 folded it up and put it in herpocket and left the store.
    As the next person in line I asked the cashier "as a taxpayer what in the hell just happened here?" She said she was on the clockand could not comment. I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchaseand discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her EBT card. The cashier respondedthat it happens all day every day in their store. She also said that if theperson buying the GRAPE has it ring up over .02 they get mad and make herreweigh it. My next comment was to ask the cashier if she planned to vote inNovember and she said she could hardly wait for 11/6/12 to get here as one taxpayer to another. I paid for my groceries, in cash, and left the store madderthan 10 wet hens.
    This is not one of those stories that a friend of a friend told afriend - I WITNESSED THIS AND WOULD LOVE TO TESTIFY IN COURT TO WHAT I SAW,however, it is apparently not illegal to go into a grocery store and buy aGRAPE, throw it away and take cash back from a food stamp EBT card and walk outthe door. If she is so poor she needs food stamps why in the hell didn't shebuy groceries.
    What you saw was cash being received from other programs(KTAP, Child Support, SS, ETC) you cannot get cash back from you SNAP benefits. They started putting several different program benefits on the EBT cards a while back.

it used to be just SNAP (food stamps) on the card. Hope that clears up your confusion.

Mayes

Quote Originally Posted by mmayes View Post
    What you saw was cash being received from other programs(KTAP, Child Support, SS, ETC) you cannot get cash back from you SNAP benefits. They started putting several different program benefits on the EBT cards a while back.

it used to be just SNAP (food stamps) on the card. Hope that clears up your confusion.

Mayes
    That could be the case... I know I wasn't aware that other programs were on the card as well. I'll get in touch with my friend and see if what she saw could have been from another program....

The general public a lot of the time is unaware all the things they can put on an EBT card. The only reason I know is that I have been doing the SNAP program for 12 years the last 7 as a Regional Worker.

Mayes

So..in other words Romney was probably correct about the 47%....

Probably?????
    Quote Originally Posted by Regulator623 View Post
    So..in other words Romney was probably correct about the 47%....

Thread Information