Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marion Co. WMA

Default Marion Co. WMA

I applied for Marion Co. WMA because it was about the closest to me and got drawn. Does anyone know anything about this place? Guess I better start scouting soon.
    Kill it and Fill it!! (The Freezer That Is)

Good luck...better wear your hiking shoes...very steep...probly have your best luck hunting the tops of the knobs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

agree with the above post. Its parking area requires that you hike a long way in to try to get away from crowds. I thought about bowhunting it, but shudder at the thought of hiking in, or out in the dark with a treestand and bow through all the thick brush and steep climbs. Had to fight my way out in daylight 2 years ago because the logging road was overgrown and impassable. The land around said road was not much better. Nothing like getting limbslapped and eyegouged for a mile or so in the dark. The surrounding private land owners are blessed with free additional hunting though.

I live rite beside it have my whole life. It gets little to no hunting pressure but u better hav some good boots cause its some ruff country. I used to ride 4wheelers all over the place b4 it became a wma. I know it pretty well but i have never hunted it. It doesnt have the deer numbers it used to but u should have some decent hunting if u get away from the parking area. Good luck

Is there any other way in? Is there any people that live around it that would allow you to park an enter from their property?

My land doesnt bump up to it but u mite go around n ask some people u never know but yes that is the only way in

Well, this thread got the best of me, and I had to go back. Spent about 4 hours today hiking (climbing ? ) it. I took along my winchester 94/22 thinking, "what the heck, maybe bust a squawk !"
    Well ,I didn't, and am glad i didn't, I'm not sure I could have packed it out ! I went past the first ridge this time, all the way to the second ridge, which if you look at the map, is still a looooong way from getting all the way in, hell, i've not even scratched the surface.
    This is STRAIGHT UP, and STRAIGHT DOWN ! The only time I've hiked rougher was in colorado on a DIY backpack in elk hunt. Most of my "hiking" was more like crawling, hoisting, and clawing my way up, and I found scooting on my butt was the best way to descend. Hint to others wishing to "hike" this lovely spot, whether bow, or rifle, take a sling, as it will free up another hand. Better yet, make it a handgun, a light one.May want to throw in a climbing rope and grappling hook as well. If all else fails you can hang you're self with said rope.
    I feel that due to the very limited access to this property the adjoining landowners just got free additional hunting land, and thats about it. i have been there twice, and both times the only truck in the single parking lot, is mine. I saw no signs of hunting, nor a sign of a trail. Expect to "bushwhach" wherever you go. The ridge top logging paths are still pretty clear due to big trees shading them, but eventually they will be bad too, and just getting to these ridgetops is a challenge. If you want a secluded, low use area to hunt, this will be you're find.
    Telecheck still shows no deer taken thus far this year.

F&W spent alot of money on this property that nobody can really use. Getting to 1000 acres from one extreme end is useless. And to boot you have a big climb just as you start. Sorry to say but they blew our money on this one. Or maybe not if they can get Doc Blands property to go along with it. Something like a couple thousand acres I think and before anyone asks Doc does not allow hunting.
    A word to the wise aint necessary, its the stupid one's that need the advice!

I agree it was a waste of money unless they get more entrances i drive by there a few times a week and since the start of bow season i havent seen a truck in the parking lot yet. It is extremely difficult terrain i live a half mile from it and wont hunt it because of how steep it is but its a shame because there are some nice deer in the area. If you are willing to hike u should have all the space you could ever want to hunt.

I know there was 50 tags total drawn for this wma. I'm wondering how many people will actually hunt? After reading all these post, I'm wondering if I will even try this place. I just finished an elk hunt and that was enough mountain climbing do me. Lol

Thread Information