Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a beech nut pod?

Default Is this a beech nut pod?

I'm 42 yrs old been hunting all my life. I guess I've just never run into one of these trees before. I think it's a beech tree any help would be appreciated.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348068464.943112.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  185.6 KB

Reminds me of a chesnut
    I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target but as a living creature with more freedoms than i will ever have. I take that life if i can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature's ways of fang and claw, or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than i bestow.
    - Fred Bear

Chestnut....
    I have never been banned from a county fair

Thanks I looked it up and that's what it is

Dont ever go stomping around there without shoes on! Back in the day an old lady had a chesnut tree in her yard. Worst mistake I ever made was walking through her yard barefoot lol
    I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target but as a living creature with more freedoms than i will ever have. I take that life if i can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature's ways of fang and claw, or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than i bestow.
    - Fred Bear

I have holes in my hands now from opening them up. I couldn't imagine stepping on one. Lol

Can anybody tell if that is an old American Chestnut or is a Chinese Chestnut? There are some American Chestnuts that appear to be blight resistant and are bearing, and there are some smaller saplings that will bear a year or two before the blight knocks them back down.

A beechnut is about the size of a pencil eraser and has a smooth green shell, btw.
    'But I would rather have it bent and dull and know I had to put it on the grindstone again and hammer it into shape and put a whetstone to it, and know that I had something to write about, than to have it bright and shining and nothing to say, or smooth and well-oiled in the closet, but unused.
    E. Hemingway

You know, if you put spaghetti sauce on on your ramen noodles, it tastes just like broken dreams and disappointment.
    My college son

The bur looks like a Chinese because it appears coarse. An American bur is more dense almost like hair. I think some Americans live longer because a virus infects the fungus. The fungus is weakened to the point that the tree can fend it off for a longer period of time.

Does any one know if deer like Chinese chest nut's? I have a couple of tree's I am getting ready to plant and need to know where I should put them at.

We planted a field in a tree program over 20 yrs ago. I don't remember what all we planted. The field grew up real thick and the trees kinda stunted, but it made some of the best deer habitat you can have. This is the first time I have seen this tree produce nuts. Its right on a dirt path. I guess we planted it i do not see how it could of come up on it's own.

Thread Information