Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting wild out of deer meat

Default Getting wild out of deer meat

I love to cook and grill but I have a lot of trouble getting the wild taste out of deer meat I have soaked in wine for a few hrs and I have done buttermilk overnight please help I need ideas on this and some different recipes for cooking and grilling deer meat thx

No clue here. That's the flavor my family loves - the gamier the better! Soaking it in anything might ruin the flavor!

All we do is brush the meat with a little garlic butter & toss it on the grill. Just remember venison has no fat so it's a drier meat & you don't want to grill it too long or it becomes leathery. Thin slices grill at about 3 minutes per side. Thicker ones can go up to 5. Medium rare tastes best!

For other recipes, we use it pretty much just like beef - tacos, fajitas, spaghetti, roasts, stew, stir fry dishes, you name it!

Venison: it's what's for dinner most times at our house!
    "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans!"

Most of the "wild" taste is due to poor handling before it ever gets to the kitchen. Gut shot deer, poor field dressing, driving around showing off the trophy all day in hot temps, "ageing" a deer in warm temps, all these things will render it unfit to eat. The only deer that might need special care to mask a wild flavor is a tough old buck in full rut, and even they aren't usually too bad.

If you went to the store and bought a package of pork chops for the family, would you toss it in the back of the truck on a sunny day and leave it there for hours and hours? No, you wouldn't. And we shouldn't do that to venison either. The last time I was able to properly age a deer without ice was in 1992 when it snowed and got down to about 30 degrees. Every other year has been way too warm. Meat ages at 37F or lower. Above that and the meat isn't ageing, it's spoiling. Yuck.

I shoot does and young deer and my venison never has a wild taste. I gut it immediately, butcher and get the meat in a cooler with ice within a couple hours, freshen up the ice for 2-3 days, then package and freeze.
    'But I would rather have it bent and dull and know I had to put it on the grindstone again and hammer it into shape and put a whetstone to it, and know that I had something to write about, than to have it bright and shining and nothing to say, or smooth and well-oiled in the closet, but unused.
    E. Hemingway

You know, if you put spaghetti sauce on on your ramen noodles, it tastes just like broken dreams and disappointment.
    My college son

Quote Originally Posted by Helium View Post
    I love to cook and grill but I have a lot of trouble getting the wild taste out of deer meat I have soaked in wine for a few hrs and I have done buttermilk overnight please help I need ideas on this and some different recipes for cooking and grilling deer meat thx
    The ONLY way to completely remove the gamey taste is to can it. Canned deer has a taste similar to roast beef.

I can tell you that a deer properly aged, preferably 38 degrees for 7-10 days, will be as tender and gamey-tasting free as any you have ever ate. I prefer to leave mine hanging under fur, but that's "tough" to do when the temps are in the 90s. There is a pretty good thread on here about aging, where I believe Quackr gives his method for aging a quartered up deer in the fridge to get the same break down of the meat. Like Trust me said too though, proper handling above all is key to tasty venison.

The health of the animal can play a big part as well. There's not much more rank than the meat from a deer that took a shot a month earlier but lived to tell about it. I've had to pitch 3 whole deer from that fact alone (after cutting up and storing the entire thing to boot). The dog wouldn't even eat them.

Also, debone instead of cutting through with a saw. Remove all fat, sinew and as much silver skin as possible.

The above items can add an extremely strong taste when the meat is frozen for any length of time or when cooked along with the meat. I suspect that I could feed you deer steaks or burgers from my freezer and you would have no idea that you were eating venison.
    It's not so much if you win or lose - it's how you shoot the flaming arrow while riding a camel.

http://www.unclelees.com/
    http://www.wingsupply.com/

Trust me and Quack have some good info that is accurate as far as I know. Another possible way to remove some of the "Bad" taste is to soak the thawed meat in an iced salt water bath for an hour. Lots of salt and ice. This will help remove blood from the meat. Old fisherman's trick I use with many fish I catch. Works like a charm on older deer or if you haven't been able to process it fast enough. And I think that not processing it fast enough is not getting it on ice in 3 hours from the time I shot it.
    "Small fish fear the Big fish. The Big fish fear ME."

Quote Originally Posted by trust me View Post
    Most of the "wild" taste is due to poor handling before it ever gets to the kitchen. Gut shot deer, poor field dressing, driving around showing off the trophy all day in hot temps, "ageing" a deer in warm temps, all these things will render it unfit to eat. The only deer that might need special care to mask a wild flavor is a tough old buck in full rut, and even they aren't usually too bad.

If you went to the store and bought a package of pork chops for the family, would you toss it in the back of the truck on a sunny day and leave it there for hours and hours? No, you wouldn't. And we shouldn't do that to venison either. The last time I was able to properly age a deer without ice was in 1992 when it snowed and got down to about 30 degrees. Every other year has been way too warm. Meat ages at 37F or lower. Above that and the meat isn't ageing, it's spoiling. Yuck.

I shoot does and young deer and my venison never has a wild taste. I gut it immediately, butcher and get the meat in a cooler with ice within a couple hours, freshen up the ice for 2-3 days, then package and freeze.
    This is a great post.
    GUT DEER?

I myself have never thrown bags of ice on a deer to keep it cool,but then again ive never killed one in the early season when its pretty warm.Every deer we kill is immediatly feild dressed with a stick put in the ribs to keep the deer open and let air in to keep it cool to the touch.We then hangem up with fans on em,and sometimes throw the pepper to the meat to keep the flys away.As for the "wild" taste,my grannie swears that every deer but a young one is no good to eat.I guess its just in yuoir taste buds because every deer i kill and eat tastes great.
    "Vegetarians are cool.All I eat are vegetarians-except for the occasional mountain lion steak."...Uncle Ted

Wild taste!?!?! It's venison not beef or pork or whatever else you might want it to taste like. Try some without doing any "wild taste removal" and see what venison tastes like. AND, keep an open mind.

Thread Information