Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What age is appropriate for a BB gun?

Default What age is appropriate for a BB gun?

My boy is five and I let him shoot a friends 10/22 the other day and loved it. I dont think he needs a 22 yet but do you think 5 is to young for a trusty Red Ryder?
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

The earlier the better in my opinion, a lot of kids learn firearm safety from their first BB gun. Let him have at it and post up some pics of some cats he stings
    If it's still movin' keep shootin'

My boys were 5 and 6 and my daughter was 4 when they got theirs. I was always with them when they got to shoot them and we never had any accidents and it is a good way to ingrain gun safety into their young minds, before they figure that they know everything
    To Err is human, to blame someone else is more human.

two of mine were 5 and one was four when they started
    "bacon tastes good, porkchops tastes good." Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction

Never too early to start him on a BB gun. Teach him safety and keep it locked up so he can't get to it when you're not around. I got my first BB gun, a daisy, at age 4, my first .410 at 7.

Mine got theirs when they were four and five. Three months later a 22. Chase is 14 now and has a 308. Start em early and keep em shooting.

I gave my son a Red Rider at that age.

It all depends on the parent and the kid. I've known one guy that gave his daughter a BB gun when she was 3 years old and anohter gave his son a BB gun when he was 8 years old.

Ask yourself, can he learn and UNDERSTAND the safety rules, do you have the patience to keep at it and not get upset and he will learn? if so then by all means do it or wait a year or two.

One last thing. Up front, get his MOTHER involed in it from the begining that way all of you will be on the same page and help each other without any problems. I've seen dozens of parents get in a fight over a BB gun and the kids, the dad comes home with one and never tells the wife at all, that's when the problems start.
    A Government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms, is itself unworthy of trust..... - James Madison

You are in for so much fun. I can still remember getting my first BB gun for my birthday, the first bird I shot with it, my first squirrel with dad's 12 gauge, my first rabbit on christmas morning 1970 with my new .410, first quail, first dove, first deer,.......Dad remembers them all as well. You and your son are set for some great times and memories. Enjoy, but don't blink. He'll be 15 before you know it.

I got my first one at age 5.
    It's not so much if you win or lose - it's how you shoot the flaming arrow while riding a camel.

http://www.unclelees.com/
    http://www.wingsupply.com/

Thread Information