Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Effecient 4x4 trucks?

Default Fuel Effecient 4x4 trucks?

Planning on buying a different vehicle. What is the most fuel efficient 4x4 automatic pickup I can buy.

If you are buying new, the Ford F-150 ecoboost gets decent mileage according to Ford. I think in a V8 full-size, the GM 4.8 and 5.3 probably does as good as any. I would say the Toyota Tacoma might be the best in the compact pickup.

None of them are going to get good mileage, and from what I have seen, they are all so close that it really doesn't make much difference if you get a v8 or a v6.
    What is written above is an OPINION. It may contain a mix of truth, fiction, BS, and sarcasm.

[QUOTE=Art;2037190208]If you are buying new, the Ford F-150 ecoboost gets decent mileage according to Ford. I think in a V8 full-size, the GM 4.8 and 5.3 probably does as good as any. I would say the Toyota Tacoma might be the best in the compact pickup.

None of them are going to get good mileage, and from what I have seen, they are all so close that it really doesn't make much difference if you get a v8 or a v6.[/QUOTE
    I ran into the same problem I finally came to the determination that I was most likely going to have to have 2 vehicles. It sucks but for the time being its going to have to work. I have looked toyota tacomas and they are great trucks but... A. They are very expensive and B. Get horrible millage for how big they are. You could get a 150 pickup for the same price that you pay for one and honestly it might get better millage. I can't say much about the ecoboost but I would guess that its getting a little bit better milage then most other 150 pickups.

Buy a diesel 4x4..More fuel efficient than gas.

Are you looking to buy new or used and if used how old?

Quote Originally Posted by hunting buddy View Post
    Are you looking to buy new or used and if used how old?
    I don't believe I want a brand new one..perhaps 2010 or lower ..would consider any year with real low miles.

My '06 Tacoma gets 21-22 mpg. My dad's '12 Tacoma gets slightly less. Both 4 cyl. Mine is a standard, his is an auto.

Really no such thing as a fuel efficient 4x4. Diesel is the best bet on that but fuel is more, also.

As someone else stated in a 2010 or older, there's not a whole lot of difference in mileage between a V8 and a V6.
    It's not so much if you win or lose - it's how you shoot the flaming arrow while riding a camel.

http://www.unclelees.com/
    http://www.wingsupply.com/

Depends on what kind of driving you do. My previous truck was an 05 F150 with the 4.6 v-8 and 3.55 ratio axles. It could have used a lower gear with the smaller engine as it didn't have much low end power but out on the interstate it would get 23-24 mpg running 75-80. Around town it was lucky to get 12. My current truck is an 08 Silverado with the 5.3 that shuts down to 4 cylinders when all 8 aren't needed. Its a 3.73 rear, which means lower RPMs around town and with the cylinder deactivation it still gets 22-23 out on the big road. I started to buy a v-6 crew cab tacoma instead of the 'rado but for the same money and same fuel use you'd be crazy not to go with the extra room and towing/hauling capacity. I talked to several people with the tacos and they all said that they didn't get any better mileage than the full size trucks they'd traded in.

Kinda ran off with the ideal you want a fullsize v-8......I've heard the 4 cyl. tacomas do good. They're hard to find but my boss used to have an 06 or 07 f-250 diesel with a 3.55 rear end. It would get 22-24mpg on highway with a load of oilfield tools on it. All the diesels we have at work average around 15mpg but most of them are lower geared and have a pretty good load on them most of the time.

My vote goes for diesel also youll have more power and better fuel mileage. The mileage you get well offsets the higher fuel costs. The worst mileage ive ever recorded on mine is right at 18 mpg. If you stretch it out on the interstate ive seen 25. Ill never own another gas powered truck.
    If they fly together they die together....

There are two types of hunting. ordinary hunting ,and ruffed grouse hunting...... Aldo Leopold

The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals..... Sam Elliott

Thread Information