Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal deer tags?

Default Metal deer tags?

Back when I was a kid and just starting to hunt, deer were few and far between. It wasn't unusual to have a left over tag at the end of the season. The tags back then were made of metal and permanently snapped together when you tagged your deer. I started keeping my old tags and snapped them around the horns of an old antique 4 point rack I had on my bedroom wall. Am I the only one or do some of you guys still have some around?

How I long for those days to return. Not only permanent tags, but check stations. It would sure cut back on the number of deer not being registered. As it is now, unless you have a deer commercially processed, or mounted, checking the deer in is not necessary. I'd bet at least 15% of harvested deer go un-reported.

Quote Originally Posted by bgkyarcher View Post
    How I long for those days to return. Not only permanent tags, but check stations. It would sure cut back on the number of deer not being registered. As it is now, unless you have a deer commercially processed, or mounted, checking the deer in is not necessary. I'd bet at least 15% of harvested deer go un-reported.
    Dammit man!!!! Telecheck is the most advanced and accurate check system ever invented. How dare you mention the good old check stations of the past. I got more enjoyment of sitting at a local check station talking hunting stories and seeing what came in about as much as I did hunting in the old days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginsenghunter View Post
    No need to sit in TN for a picture when you have a 197 to hold.

Yeah, I remember those days. I've got a set of antlers in the garage that has a metal tag on them. You are correct on there not being many deer back then. Just getting to see a deer back then was an accomplishment.

I remember those tags,they only had them the first few years I hunted as far as I remember but I seen a many of them from my dads day. He still has a couple laying around somewhere. I to miss the check stations,they were just another level of excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nasty View Post
    Dammit man!!!! Telecheck is the most advanced and accurate check system ever invented. How dare you mention the good old check stations of the past. I got more enjoyment of sitting at a local check station talking hunting stories and seeing what came in about as much as I did hunting in the old days.
    Crap, I spend more time in the woods now than I did then, but I don't kill any more deer. Hell, to be honest, when I was a teen, I sat in the stand and couldn't wait to go to the local check station and see what came in. I was never lucky enough to hunt a place where the thought of a good buck was more than a "chance" encounter. I'll always cherish those memories of haning with dad and the crew at the check in station.

No one could beat the metal tags. I'm mean....poachers would shake from fear by just having to handle one. Paper tags just turned everyone into an outlaw.
    "I hate rude behavior in a man. I wont tolerate it."

Quote Originally Posted by bgkyarcher View Post
    Crap, I spend more time in the woods now than I did then, but I don't kill any more deer. Hell, to be honest, when I was a teen, I sat in the stand and couldn't wait to go to the local check station and see what came in. I was never lucky enough to hunt a place where the thought of a good buck was more than a "chance" encounter. I'll always cherish those memories of haning with dad and the crew at the check in station.
    Me either. I loved going to the check station. The little old store we went to, you could go in, get you a big old bolonga sandwich, bag of tater chips and a pop so cold you had to wear gloves to drink it, and set there listening to all the hunting adventures, and how everybody missed the big one, which about 75 percent of where lies, and you knew it but didn't say a word...LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginsenghunter View Post
    No need to sit in TN for a picture when you have a 197 to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nasty View Post
    Me either. I loved going to the check station. The little old store we went to, you could go in, get you a big old bolonga sandwich, bag of tater chips and a pop so cold you had to wear gloves to drink it, and set there listening to all the hunting adventures, and how everybody missed the big one, which about 75 percent of where lies, and you knew it but didn't say a word...LOL
    Not only that, but back in the 70's, we got up early enough to meet at the local gas stop, shoot the crap and eat breakfast before every hunt. Most of the guys smoked. We'd chew the fat, eat some biscuits and gravy, down some coffee, and then head out. Thousand wonders anyone ever shot a deer. This went on bow and gun season from Oct 1 through the end of season. The crowd dwindled all year as people filled their tags. I cringe now thinking about all the "rules" we broke. Man, I'll always cherish these memories. I'll never forget them.

A few deer threads popping up I love it. Hope I can get out a couple times this year.
    "The Heat"

"If your going to be stupid-ya best be tough"

Thread Information