Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mild Winter and the effect on the 2012 acorn crop.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boone County
    Posts
    1,491

    Default Mild Winter and the effect on the 2012 acorn crop.

    Does anybody have any idea what the effects that this mild winter will have on the 2012 acorn crop?

    I know that to grown new oaks there is a strange procedure of freezing acorns in order to grown trees. So I'm wondering if there will be an effect.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ggodwin View Post
    Does anybody have any idea what the effects that this mild winter will have on the 2012 acorn crop?
    This years Winter weather has been very strange, the mildest I've seen in years. If we don't return to colder weather and it warms-up during the remainder of the Winter Season; there is a good chance late freezing weather in late April or early May will "ZAP" the acorn production. Also, if we have normal temps. and it rains when the Oaks & Hickory bloom, the rain can have a negative effect on acorn or Hickory nut pollination, thus little if any mast crops.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    I don't think the winter will have much effect. Right now if you want something to worry about worry about a late freeze or late draught. Seems we get one or the other each year. I am hoping for a white oak year like 2 years ago personally.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walton, KY
    Posts
    3,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyshe17 View Post
    I don't think the winter will have much effect. Right now if you want something to worry about worry about a late freeze or late draught. Seems we get one or the other each year. I am hoping for a white oak year like 2 years ago personally.
    2 years ago their were so many acorns on one oak ridge, it was like walking on marbles. Deer were coming in from 15 different directions. This year, there were ZERO acorns, and thus ZERO deer.
    "A clean miss, or a clean kill. That is my prayer. I'll let God decide who the victims are."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    BG
    Posts
    4,180

    Default

    Really? The trees were full of acorns where i hunted. All four locations had acorns galore. Red oaks were more abundant but plenty of white oak acorns

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Laurel County
    Posts
    4,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bgkyarcher View Post
    Really? The trees were full of acorns where i hunted. All four locations had acorns galore. Red oaks were more abundant but plenty of white oak acorns
    Oaks don't produce acorns all at the same time. One stand of oaks may be loaded one year while another stand won't have any. My back yard was like a battle field when I mowed two years ago from all the acorns piled up. However, I found a large acorn flat in a hunting area that didn't have any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginsenghunter View Post
    No need to sit in TN for a picture when you have a 197 to hold.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    4,447

    Default

    A wet spring (mid-late April)does more harm to acorn production than freezing temps. It takes a year to notifce it with reds, whites will show it that year. We had a pretty wet spring in 2011, few whites in the fall, reds will be sparse in those areas in 2012, IMO...
    Any day outdoors is a good day...

    Official Measurer B&C and P&Y

    Nikon D300, D7000 Nikon 200-400 VR tele-zoom lens for wildlife.

    Visit my photo gallery:

    http://joelacefield.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walton, KY
    Posts
    3,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bgkyarcher View Post
    Really? The trees were full of acorns where i hunted. All four locations had acorns galore. Red oaks were more abundant but plenty of white oak acorns
    Really. Neither the Reds nor then Whites had hazrdly any. I'm talking big, mature 80 year old trees. On the other side of the property, their are less oaks, but they had an average crop.
    "A clean miss, or a clean kill. That is my prayer. I'll let God decide who the victims are."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman35 View Post
    2 years ago their were so many acorns on one oak ridge, it was like walking on marbles. Deer were coming in from 15 different directions. This year, there were ZERO acorns, and thus ZERO deer.

    Yup there were lots of acorns that year but with the burnt out fields and tons of whites the feeding sign was plentiful and it was easy to pick the right tree to get with in 25 yards from. I'd much rather have too many acorns than not enough...

    This year was mostly reds, with limited to zero whites in north Central Kentuky. My propery in Butler has limited mature whites but I only had reds there too. Deer were hitting the reds which tells me whites on surrounding properties were limited at best.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walton, KY
    Posts
    3,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyshe17 View Post
    Yup there were lots of acorns that year but with the burnt out fields and tons of whites the feeding sign was plentiful and it was easy to pick the right tree to get with in 25 yards from. I'd much rather have too many acorns than not enough...

    This year was mostly reds, with limited to zero whites in north Central Kentuky. My propery in Butler has limited mature whites but I only had reds there too. Deer were hitting the reds which tells me whites on surrounding properties were limited at best.
    My problem with that year, was it was so hot in the summer, I think the deer were used to only coming out at dark. This area is a bit of an isolated oak patch in an area of mostly open fields and crp. The fence lines of this property were also lined with oaks, and thus deer were coming in all directions from the CRP. I saw a ton of deer that year, but they weren't getting to where I was until near dark. I drew back 4 times that year and couldn't see my pins.
    "A clean miss, or a clean kill. That is my prayer. I'll let God decide who the victims are."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mild Winter + Spring/Summer Drought = Roaches/Waterbugs???
    By Labrador in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 09:57 AM
  2. Acorn crop
    By Cedarridge in forum Deer Hunting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 01:24 PM
  3. Acorn Crop(Pic)
    By BuckBuster in forum Deer Hunting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-23-2010, 04:55 PM
  4. Acorn crop
    By Bushwacker in forum Deer Hunting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 03:17 PM
  5. Acorn crop
    By Wildcat in forum Deer Hunting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 04:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •