Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Here is a good MERGANSER recipe

Default Here is a good MERGANSER recipe

Take out the breast meat and quarter it (I just used two hens). Don't leave any skin or fat. Rinse it out really well. Soak for 1 hour in saltwater and a little splash of vinegar.

Place a large sheet of aluminum foil in a pie tin. Place merganser breast quarters on foil and add salt and pepper. Cover generously in worchestershire sauce (it will cook in this, so almost cover the meat to the top). Drop a big spoonfull of kraft honey bbq sauce on each quarter. Cover the remaining surface of the quarters in honey. Be very liberal with the bbq and the honey.

fold the aluminum foil over and roll up all the sides tight.
    Bake on 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Eat with more bbq sauce.

I have read so many bad things about merganser that I threw away the first one I killed because I was scared to touch it. I killed two more today on the creek (thought I had jumped a flock of woodies). I made up this recipe for cooking squirrel (25 min on 450 then 25 min on 350) and realized it was delicious but the ingredients provided most of the flavor. So far I have used this recipe for quail, rabbit, squirrel, and merganser. Adapted it a little bit and I won't ever waste a merganser again. Fine table fare in my opinion.
    Steven Wright: "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."

William Faulkner: "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."

I was expecting a picture of a ditch...

My former BIL drank 12 beers and still couldn't tolerate a hoodie.

A wise man (Peanut) once told me that if you put enough hot sauce and pepper on it, anything tastes good. I think I might try this merganser recipe.

They make good air fresheners for other people's trucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPete View Post
    Ahh yes, the great white hunter with a "holier than thou" attitude.... Downing a man for hunting over bait while his stand hangs in a white oak with it raining acorns.......
    Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTZVT View Post
    A wise man (Peanut) once told me that if you put enough hot sauce and pepper on it, anything tastes good. I think I might try this merganser recipe.
    Pretty sure I remember him saying that once too after a discussion about crow meat
    "Screw the animals, they had just as long to evolve and invent rifles but they didn't....we win"

Quote Originally Posted by killinmammals View Post
    Pretty sure I remember him saying that once too after a discussion about crow meat
    Heard crow meat was pretty good...
    Steven Wright: "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."

William Faulkner: "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."

Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    Heard crow meat was pretty good...
    I've eaten quite a bit of crow since I got married. Easy to sleep on the couch with a belly full of crow.

Thread Information