Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: State by State Whitetail Records

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brindle Ridge, KY
    Posts
    324

    Default State by State Whitetail Records

    http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/...tail-deer.html

    Here are the state record whitetails for each state typical and non-typical.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Western Ky
    Posts
    226

    Default

    i think Ky is the only one on that list with both records having been set after the year 2000. we are on the upswing!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bullitt County
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    WHAT!?!?! Did I just read that right? Our typical record is larger than BOTH Kansas and Iowa? Arent those the 2 states our bowhunting elite keep referencing in their argument to change Kentucky's rifle season?

    Maybe what we are doing works just fine!
    Did you know a palm can say alot about a person? Especially when it smacks you upside the head!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim T View Post
    Are you high?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    NATTYVILLE
    Posts
    5,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadDuck View Post
    WHAT!?!?! Did I just read that right? Our typical record is larger than BOTH Kansas and Iowa? Arent those the 2 states our bowhunting elite keep referencing in their argument to change Kentucky's rifle season?

    Maybe what we are doing works just fine!
    I am sure both of those states have 10-20 typicals bigger than that but the hunters are so used to them they don't have them recorded

    There were a few states that really suprised me with their #'s.
    Take a kid hunting. Grow the sport!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brindle Ridge, KY
    Posts
    324

    Default

    I think this data is only up to 2006.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Shepherdville, Kentucky
    Posts
    911

    Default

    "WHAT!?!?!Did I just read that right? Our typical record is larger than BOTH Kansas andIowa? Arent those the 2 states our bowhunting elite keep referencing in theirargument to change Kentucky's rifle season?"


    The issue is not individual records, itís the fact that Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa produce more mature age class bucks from a numbers stand point. Due to the gun season notbeing in the rut, the benefit is that more bucks reach the 4 year and older age class. This bowhunter, although I'm not opposed to trophy class bucks, is more interested in there being more numbers of mature bucks roaming the Bluegrass. I think that people get too tied up in individual records for making the case on how to manage a deer herd. Using KY record bucks as a rule to insist that we are a better deer management state is like saying that because Obama is the worst president in history, Hawaii produces the worst presidents. It's not good logic. I bet if all the states were to able to break their total buck harvests down in to age class (impossible I understand) KY would rate very poorly over all. It's not all about trophys itís about having the opportunity to hunt a different class of buck on a more consistent basis. I can see how for some, that arenít really interested in the actual hunting/challenge aspect of the deal, would get confused. If the motivating factor is to fill your buck tag with any caliber buck, Kentucky is the perfect model.
    Last edited by Rackophrenic Rick; 12-21-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    Conservation: a careful preservation and protection of something ; especially : planned management of a natural resource to prevent exploitation, destruction, or neglect.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    Posts
    10,308

    Default

    What!?!?!?!?!? Did I just read right? Is the non typical record in KS and Iowa both bigger than KY??? So what! Get over the antler envy. We're talking about older deer, more even age structure, healthier herd dynamics. Besides, anything over 200 typical is a freak of nature. What about the only 300" non typs all came from some where other than KY. Each of them 30+" bigger than KY's state record. Where did those come from? What does that mean??? NOTHING! The argument isnt about bigger antlers, it's about herd dynamics.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadDuck View Post
    WHAT!?!?! Did I just read that right? Our typical record is larger than BOTH Kansas and Iowa? Arent those the 2 states our bowhunting elite keep referencing in their argument to change Kentucky's rifle season?

    Maybe what we are doing works just fine!
    ‎ďThere are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.Ē
    ― Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bullitt County
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skin_dog1 View Post
    What!?!?!?!?!? Did I just read right? Is the non typical record in KS and Iowa both bigger than KY??? So what! Get over the antler envy. We're talking about older deer, more even age structure, healthier herd dynamics. Besides, anything over 200 typical is a freak of nature. What about the only 300" non typs all came from some where other than KY. Each of them 30+" bigger than KY's state record. Where did those come from? What does that mean??? NOTHING! The argument isnt about bigger antlers, it's about herd dynamics.

    If it isnt about bigger antlers then quit using B&C records to support your argument.
    Last edited by BadDuck; 12-21-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Did you know a palm can say alot about a person? Especially when it smacks you upside the head!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim T View Post
    Are you high?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bullitt County
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rackophrenic Rick View Post
    "WHAT!?!?!Did I just read that right? Our typical record is larger than BOTH Kansas andIowa? Arent those the 2 states our bowhunting elite keep referencing in theirargument to change Kentucky's rifle season?"


    The issue is not individual records, it’s the fact that Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa produce more mature age class bucks from a numbers stand point. Due to the gun season notbeing in the rut, the benefit is that more bucks reach the 4 year and older age class. This bowhunter, although I'm not opposed to trophy class bucks, is more interested in there being more numbers of mature bucks roaming the Bluegrass. I think that people get too tied up in individual records for making the case on how to manage a deer herd. Using KY record bucks as a rule to insist that we are a better deer management state is like saying that because Obama is the worst president in history, Hawaii produces the worst presidents. It's not good logic. I bet if all the states were to able to break their total buck harvests down in to age class (impossible I understand) KY would rate very poorly over all. It's not all about trophys it’s about having the opportunity to hunt a different class of buck on a more consistent basis. I can see how for some, that aren’t really interested in the actual hunting/challenge aspect of the deal, would get confused. If the motivating factor is to fill your buck tag with any caliber buck, Kentucky is the perfect model.
    nevermind.
    Last edited by BadDuck; 12-21-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    Did you know a palm can say alot about a person? Especially when it smacks you upside the head!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim T View Post
    Are you high?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bullitt County
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rackophrenic Rick View Post
    "WHAT!?!?!Did I just read that right? Our typical record is larger than BOTH Kansas andIowa? Arent those the 2 states our bowhunting elite keep referencing in theirargument to change Kentucky's rifle season?"


    The issue is not individual records, it’s the fact that Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa produce more mature age class bucks from a numbers stand point. Due to the gun season notbeing in the rut, the benefit is that more bucks reach the 4 year and older age class. This bowhunter, although I'm not opposed to trophy class bucks, is more interested in there being more numbers of mature bucks roaming the Bluegrass. I think that people get too tied up in individual records for making the case on how to manage a deer herd. Using KY record bucks as a rule to insist that we are a better deer management state is like saying that because Obama is the worst president in history, Hawaii produces the worst presidents. It's not good logic. I bet if all the states were to able to break their total buck harvests down in to age class (impossible I understand) KY would rate very poorly over all. It's not all about trophys it’s about having the opportunity to hunt a different class of buck on a more consistent basis. I can see how for some, that aren’t really interested in the actual hunting/challenge aspect of the deal, would get confused. If the motivating factor is to fill your buck tag with any caliber buck, Kentucky is the perfect model.
    nevermind.
    Last edited by BadDuck; 12-21-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Did you know a palm can say alot about a person? Especially when it smacks you upside the head!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim T View Post
    Are you high?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Knocking on state records door
    By bowguy25 in forum Deer Hunting
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 06:29 PM
  2. Boone and Crockett State Records
    By raven_over_easy in forum Elk Hunting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 07:17 PM
  3. State Records
    By Split_Ear in forum Deer Hunting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 10:25 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 08:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •