Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State by State Whitetail Records

Default State by State Whitetail Records

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/...tail-deer.html

Here are the state record whitetails for each state typical and non-typical.

i think Ky is the only one on that list with both records having been set after the year 2000. we are on the upswing!

WHAT!?!?! Did I just read that right? Our typical record is larger than BOTH Kansas and Iowa? Arent those the 2 states our bowhunting elite keep referencing in their argument to change Kentucky's rifle season?

Maybe what we are doing works just fine!
    Did you know a palm can say alot about a person? Especially when it smacks you upside the head!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim T View Post
    Are you high?

Quote Originally Posted by BadDuck View Post
    WHAT!?!?! Did I just read that right? Our typical record is larger than BOTH Kansas and Iowa? Arent those the 2 states our bowhunting elite keep referencing in their argument to change Kentucky's rifle season?

I am sure both of those states have 10-20 typicals bigger than that but the hunters are so used to them they don't have them recorded

There were a few states that really suprised me with their #'s.
    Take a kid hunting. Grow the sport!

I think this data is only up to 2006.

"WHAT!?!?!Did I just read that right? Our typical record is larger than BOTH Kansas andIowa? Arent those the 2 states our bowhunting elite keep referencing in theirargument to change Kentucky's rifle season?"

The issue is not individual records, itís the fact that Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa produce more mature age class bucks from a numbers stand point. Due to the gun season notbeing in the rut, the benefit is that more bucks reach the 4 year and older age class. This bowhunter, although I'm not opposed to trophy class bucks, is more interested in there being more numbers of mature bucks roaming the Bluegrass. I think that people get too tied up in individual records for making the case on how to manage a deer herd. Using KY record bucks as a rule to insist that we are a better deer management state is like saying that because Obama is the worst president in history, Hawaii produces the worst presidents. It's not good logic. I bet if all the states were to able to break their total buck harvests down in to age class (impossible I understand) KY would rate very poorly over all. It's not all about trophys itís about having the opportunity to hunt a different class of buck on a more consistent basis. I can see how for some, that arenít really interested in the actual hunting/challenge aspect of the deal, would get confused. If the motivating factor is to fill your buck tag with any caliber buck, Kentucky is the perfect model.
    Last edited by Rackophrenic Rick; 12-21-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    Conservation: a careful preservation and protection of something ; especially : planned management of a natural resource to prevent exploitation, destruction, or neglect.

What!?!?!?!?!? Did I just read right? Is the non typical record in KS and Iowa both bigger than KY??? So what! Get over the antler envy. We're talking about older deer, more even age structure, healthier herd dynamics. Besides, anything over 200 typical is a freak of nature. What about the only 300" non typs all came from some where other than KY. Each of them 30+" bigger than KY's state record. Where did those come from? What does that mean??? NOTHING! The argument isnt about bigger antlers, it's about herd dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by BadDuck View Post

‎ďThere are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.Ē
    ― Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

Quote Originally Posted by skin_dog1 View Post
    What!?!?!?!?!? Did I just read right? Is the non typical record in KS and Iowa both bigger than KY??? So what! Get over the antler envy. We're talking about older deer, more even age structure, healthier herd dynamics. Besides, anything over 200 typical is a freak of nature. What about the only 300" non typs all came from some where other than KY. Each of them 30+" bigger than KY's state record. Where did those come from? What does that mean??? NOTHING! The argument isnt about bigger antlers, it's about herd dynamics.

If it isnt about bigger antlers then quit using B&C records to support your argument.
    Last edited by BadDuck; 12-21-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Did you know a palm can say alot about a person? Especially when it smacks you upside the head!

Are you high?

Quote Originally Posted by Rackophrenic Rick View Post
    "WHAT!?!?!Did I just read that right? Our typical record is larger than BOTH Kansas andIowa? Arent those the 2 states our bowhunting elite keep referencing in theirargument to change Kentucky's rifle season?"

The issue is not individual records, it’s the fact that Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa produce more mature age class bucks from a numbers stand point. Due to the gun season notbeing in the rut, the benefit is that more bucks reach the 4 year and older age class. This bowhunter, although I'm not opposed to trophy class bucks, is more interested in there being more numbers of mature bucks roaming the Bluegrass. I think that people get too tied up in individual records for making the case on how to manage a deer herd. Using KY record bucks as a rule to insist that we are a better deer management state is like saying that because Obama is the worst president in history, Hawaii produces the worst presidents. It's not good logic. I bet if all the states were to able to break their total buck harvests down in to age class (impossible I understand) KY would rate very poorly over all. It's not all about trophys it’s about having the opportunity to hunt a different class of buck on a more consistent basis. I can see how for some, that aren’t really interested in the actual hunting/challenge aspect of the deal, would get confused. If the motivating factor is to fill your buck tag with any caliber buck, Kentucky is the perfect model.
    nevermind.
    Last edited by BadDuck; 12-21-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Are you high?

Quote Originally Posted by Rackophrenic Rick View Post

The issue is not individual records, it’s the fact that Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa produce more mature age class bucks from a numbers stand point. Due to the gun season notbeing in the rut, the benefit is that more bucks reach the 4 year and older age class. This bowhunter, although I'm not opposed to trophy class bucks, is more interested in there being more numbers of mature bucks roaming the Bluegrass. I think that people get too tied up in individual records for making the case on how to manage a deer herd. Using KY record bucks as a rule to insist that we are a better deer management state is like saying that because Obama is the worst president in history, Hawaii produces the worst presidents. It's not good logic. I bet if all the states were to able to break their total buck harvests down in to age class (impossible I understand) KY would rate very poorly over all. It's not all about trophys it’s about having the opportunity to hunt a different class of buck on a more consistent basis. I can see how for some, that aren’t really interested in the actual hunting/challenge aspect of the deal, would get confused. If the motivating factor is to fill your buck tag with any caliber buck, Kentucky is the perfect model.
    nevermind.
    Last edited by BadDuck; 12-21-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Are you high?

Thread Information