Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Duck Boats

Boats not as good as tool of the trade now with the backwater laws way they are now!

Quote Originally Posted by turkey View Post
    Boats not as good as tool of the trade now with the backwater laws way they are now!
    What is the new backwater law?

You have to have rights to be on the water over the land under you that hunting or driving boat!

http://mhf.myhuntingandfishing.com/_...505/10577.html

27 minutes in does a good explanation of the law. In the course of navigation there is the public right to use, even waterways that are not "commercially navigable" as the coast guard definition such as creeks and streams. Most of the streams, creeks and rivers in KY are privately owned under the water.

There is also a good article on riparian rights which is a bit less clear.
    http://somerset-kentucky.com/opinion...ucky-waterways

but to quote:
    A 1985 Kentucky case determined that the “public right of navigation” includes travel upon the waterways but also the “right to use the public waterways for recreational purposes such as boating, swimming and fishing.”

Other states courts have specifically held that the public may fish in public waters without committing a trespass upon adjoining land or the land underlying the waterway, though they my not be entitled to cross upon privately held lands to gain access to the public waters. Moreover, Kentucky courts have recognized that the right of navigation for commercial or recreational purposes may include the right to temporary anchorage and incidental uses of the riverbed.

Just Curious,... has anyone ever tried using a jet ski to get into tricky shallow spots? Guess you would need a bit of camo work but sounds like it could be dynamite and a heck of alot easier to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Duck View Post
    Just Curious,... has anyone ever tried using a jet ski to get into tricky shallow spots? Guess you would need a bit of camo work but sounds like it could be dynamite and a heck of alot easier to hide.
    Yes, and it's not all it's cracked up to be. The thing sucks up debris like crazy in shallow water which is not a real good thing for it....it's a little different than the jet drive outboards.

If you are going to hunt timber don't go with a console. You can't quite cut it as tight as you can with a tiller. Ultimately I would have two rigs. A 16 ft with a 30-40 horse tiller for smaller waters and flooded timber. A 20 ft or bigger with a large horse power motor yet undetermined for big waters. I probably would stick with a tiller motor, I like to be close to the motor guess it's just what I am used to. Until I get out of school my 12 footer is going to have to do, so only small waters and preferably where I can boat to a spot and then get in a blind, dry ground or wade around.
    Chris

Here's our 2 cents worth,

We ran a 14 foot lowe with 15 hp for years and did a great job on the med to smaller lakes and rivers, But we wanted a boat that would handle the bigger lakes and rivers from great lakes to bays and large rivers. We looked at the tracker grizzly and the Polar Kraft and did a lot of research.

Polar Kraft Grizzly
    20 foot 20 foot
    96" wide 72" wide
    29" sides 25" side
    25" trans 20" trans
    1500 lbs 734 lbs
    6 people 9 people
    both rated up to 100 hp

We bought the polar Kraft 2096 outfitter with S/C and a 70hp yam 4 stroke we built the boat on Polar Kraft's web site then got a great deal from Arnolds boats and motors in Louisville he came in 1500 less then the tracker and a better built and safer boat, we have no problem with turning it, and it drafts real well in shallow water and belive it or not our 35 pd trolling motor push's it pretty well ( going to get a bow mount later). When we hit the side of the tracker it sounded like a tin can,the PK was a solid thud, the weld were closer togeather and what we found out from others was the grizzly weld started cracking after a few years. It took six weeks to build it as they build PK one boat at a time not line built like most of them, we feel safer on the water now not like we did in our 14 footer, Been caught out in the lakes before when a storm or high winds have kicked up the white caps.

love the polar kraft, i have an older one. great looking boat you have there. Thanks for the info, i have been looking at new ones, had no idea they were in that price range.
    GUT DEER?

we're building a blind for it now, takes a lot to hide a 20 footer, it's about half done right now.

Thread Information