Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: 2nd RUT

Default 2nd RUT

Will bucks (if there is any left lol) cruise for does that didnt get bred during the first rut. becuase obviously theres no way that every doe was bred the first time. whats your guys take on the 2nd rut or the does that didnt get bred the first go round.

I would have to say that from my experience, if you happen to be in the proximity of a doe that did not take the first go around and comes in again, it will be an awesome day in the woods. I remember a hunt I had on December 31st back in 2001 where I found myself in that exact situation. I had a doe come in who was being trailed by not one but 4 shooter bucks. I was a bit shocked to see it that late in the year but was glad to see her.

I think the best scenerio for this would be for the temps to fall next week and the wind to lay. This way we might get some day-time rut activity for the 2nd estrous cycle. I will be focusing my efforts around prefered food sources in the evening hours. Not everybody is into it but this is when I reall start to use the yellow candy. The more does I can draw to a centralized area, the better the chances of luring in one that has started her second cycle. I have noticed that bucks will often scent / sight check these bait sights quite often. I also have a small plot of winter wheat and turnips that will get my attention for the same reason.

I do not expect the action to be wide spread but there will be a select few does left out there wanting some love.

Goog Luck Jack!
    Conservation: a careful preservation and protection of something ; especially : planned management of a natural resource to prevent exploitation, destruction, or neglect.

Not all bucks stop cruising. I know I wouldn't either if I only got to breed was a couple months a year

Saw a 6-pointer cruising last evening out in my back field.

Based on past experiences, I would say that those big guys that are mostly nocturnal tend to come out more during the 2nd rut. Those does are harder to come by. My dad saw a monster yesterday cruising for does and making scrapes while he was bowhunting.
    Old magicians never die. They just disappear.

They never quit it just slows down, seen three bucks all chasing this morning. The heavy frosh and cold temps had them hot.

Thread Information