Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: What bullet for a 300 win mag? (deer)

Default What bullet for a 300 win mag? (deer)

What type of bullet and grain do you prefer with a 300 win mag for deer?

When I initially bought and sighted in my rifle I had to use winchester 180 grain bullets a few years ago (all the store had). I have shot two deer with that combo and have had good results but I know that it is more of an elk load. What is the ideal bullet/grain for whitetail. I know a lot of folks use 150's.

What do you guys use?

Thanks
    Last edited by EKY.MTN.HUNTER; 11-23-2011 at 07:21 PM.
    “When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else.”

--Mark Twain

A buddy uses 180 grain ballistic tips with outstanding results. He belongs to the "you can't make them to dead" camp
    "bacon tastes good, porkchops tastes good." Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction

I like Hornady superformance 180 grain, I cant brag enough on this line of hornady these open up good and punch a hole. I also use them on target range, great precision load and very little fouling or ballistic deviation. I shoot it in a custom rem. 700 and in my kimber and they both perform well with this round.

If you reload I like the 180 accubonds. But the BTips will release more of their energy in a deer than the accubonds. I think 180gr bullet is perfect for the 300mag.

165 or 180 grain bullets, in the .300 Win. Mag., are fine for Deer. The 150 grainers are a bit light and will cause a lot of meat damage, unless you reload with lighter loads equaling the .30-06.

Hard to not like 180 gr. Core lokts. I have had great results on everything from whitetails to elk. Very accurate, good penetration an high weight retention.

Thanks for the replies guys. I obviously don't know a whole lot about bullets. I have shot two deer with the 180's and have had great results. Absolutely crushed a doe in the chest and she dropped in her tracks, dead before she hit the ground. Also shot a good buck back in 07 and he didn't make it 20 yards. There is no such thing as over kill!
    “When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else.”

--Mark Twain

I use handloaded 165 grain accubonds absolutely love them Use to use 165 Nosler Partition but noticed when loading them in my gun the lead tip would sometimes get a burr and was afraid of it affecting accuraccy
    If your gonna eat,somethings gotta die
    2014 season
    beaver
    bobcat 1
    coon 3
    coyote 1
    grey fox
    grinner 3
    mink
    red fox

Quote Originally Posted by EKY.MTN.HUNTER View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I obviously don't know a whole lot about bullets. I have shot two deer with the 180's and have had great results. Absolutely crushed a doe in the chest and she dropped in her tracks, dead before she hit the ground. Also shot a good buck back in 07 and he didn't make it 20 yards. There is no such thing as over kill!
    You're Welcome! It sounds like 180 grain bullets work fine for you, in your .300 Win.Mag., so I'd stick with them.

The 180 grain will work fine. If they've worked good for you in the past, then I'd just stick with them. Killed a few with the 180 accubond in .300 wsm with excellent results.

Thread Information