Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Smoking a deer shoulder

Default Smoking a deer shoulder

I've done this before and liked the results. This time I am doing it on a Masterbuilt smoker. Does anyone have any experience with this and can they give me some rough guidelines. I need to know temp and time. I also need a good brine mix if anyone can think of one for venison. I will likely use apple smoke, but am up for any suggestions. thanks.

If you have done it before and had good results, stick with what worked. Using a different smoker won't matter
    "Screw the animals, they had just as long to evolve and invent rifles but they didn't....we win"

I cant remember how I did it.

smoke at 225 for one hr then cover with raw applewood smoked bacon and cook for a second hr at 225 then cover with a thick layer of lettuce or cabbage and cook at 225 until u reach an internal temp of 150. Remove to a pan, cover tight and let rest for 45 min before uncovering and let rest for another 20 min uncovered. Slice and serve. BTW u didn't specify the wgt of the shoulder ? Was it boneless ? Good luck
    I eat,sleep,ride,talk,breathe,dream,live and love my Cookers !

Quote Originally Posted by C.L.Button View Post
    smoke at 225 for one hr then cover with raw applewood smoked bacon and cook for a second hr at 225 then cover with a thick layer of lettuce or cabbage and cook at 225 until u reach an internal temp of 150. Remove to a pan, cover tight and let rest for 45 min before uncovering and let rest for another 20 min uncovered. Slice and serve. BTW u didn't specify the wgt of the shoulder ? Was it boneless ? Good luck
    CL thanks for the response. I actually found an old reply of yours to someone looking for Elk shoulder advise. Havent weighed it yet but it is your typical 90 lb doe shoulder. Bone in. I've never used lettuce for cooking before, but I will give it a try. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Been years since I've tried, but I do remember that dad used to only try it when he had a couple of pork buts to go on the rack above it. Darn things have so little fat in em, that they would turn into a chunk of jerkey if you weren't real careful.
    "Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

Quote Originally Posted by muddhunter View Post
    CL thanks for the response. I actually found an old reply of yours to someone looking for Elk shoulder advise. Havent weighed it yet but it is your typical 90 lb doe shoulder. Bone in. I've never used lettuce for cooking before, but I will give it a try. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Save the droppings if you can. Makes some goooood gravy. All the lettuce does is help keep the meat moist. It is also good to use when smoking Prime Rib. Good Luck.

OK, i followed CLs instructions minus the lettuce.(wasnt scared just didnt have any on hand) The total cook time was around 4 hours. The temp was between 217 and 225 for the most part. I used hickory chips in the Masterbuilt and leftover brine mixture in pan. Brine was mix of salt, applejuice, brown sugar, water, and garlic. Let the shoulder brine for 15 hours or so. After removing from smoker i tried to allow it to rest for twenty minutes. In the mean time I became involved in a cornhole game and when I returned this is what I found....

It ended up being very good. I believe it is a great use of shoulder. Next time I will leave off the lower shank. Too much sinew and was pretty tuff. Thanks again CL.

U B welcome. Seriously try to use the lettuce next time. U won't believe it but it does make a difference. Cabbage will also work. +50 for the Becks !!

Thread Information