Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poorest Place In Kentucky

Default Poorest Place In Kentucky

Where would you say the poorest place in Kentucky is?
    A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Im gonna guess around the Letcher, breathitt county area? but then it could be Clay,Wolfe,martin,Magoffin....they all have very low annual incomes..I know Kentucky is second only to Texas in the number of counties on the 100 poorest counties in Americas list..Then they only have one more than us..Then if Im not mistaken Wheelwright,Ky here in Floyd co had a average income of just over 5K during the last census..
    Last edited by KYBOY; 09-19-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KYBOY View Post
    Im gonna guess around the Letcher, breathitt county area? but then it could be Clay,Wolfe,martin,Magoffin....they all have very low annual incomes..I know Kentucky is second only to Texas in the number of counties on the 100 poorest counties in Americas list..Then they only have one more than us..Then if Im not mistaken Wheelwright,Ky here in Floyd co had a average income of just over 5K during the last census..
    That's partly because KY has more counties than any other state, but we consistently rank toward the bottom in per capita income anyway. There are pockets of poor all over the place; there simply are no jobs in some areas.
    It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. – Thomas Sowell

Im a CRJ major at EKU and I just got a magazine talking about the three poorest counties in the state. I believe Clay was one and Owsley was another. but I forget the other one.. Ill look and post later.

Its been a few years but I remember learning in College that KY's poorest Counties were the ones on the fringe of eastern KY that produce very little coal. I'm thinking Wolfe, Manifee, and possibly Owsely.
    “When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else.”

--Mark Twain

If I recall correctly for years it would flip flop between Elliot and Menifee county's.

McCreary County has consistently been the poorest I'd suspect it is or near the top of the bottom

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Only An Armed People Can Ever Be Truly Free ;
    Only An Unarmed People Can Ever Be Enslaved.
    Aristotle

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I remember seeing something a year or two back saying Lee County was one of the poorest in the nation, cant remember where I saw it though. I grouse hunt around there and there is a person living in a rusted out school bus with a piece of PVC pipe rammed through the roof for a chimney near one of the hollers I hunt. About the poorest Ive seen.

Wolfe county. martin county could be up there as well. that is the most rural place i've seen in kentucky

Google is your friend.

The 10 U.S. counties with the lowest annual median household incomes are:

1. Owsley County, Ky. - $21,177

2. Zavala County, Texas - $21,843

3. Clay County, Ky. - $22,255

4. Knox County, Ky. -$22,493

5. Wilcox County, Ala. - $22,611

6. Quitman County, Miss. - $22,625

7. Sumter County, Ala. - $22,857

8. McCreary County, Ky. - $23,163

9. East Carroll Parish, La. - $23,186

10. Lee County, Ark. - $23,716

Nationwide, the median annual household income was just over $50,000.
    'But I would rather have it bent and dull and know I had to put it on the grindstone again and hammer it into shape and put a whetstone to it, and know that I had something to write about, than to have it bright and shining and nothing to say, or smooth and well-oiled in the closet, but unused.
    E. Hemingway

You know, if you put spaghetti sauce on on your ramen noodles, it tastes just like broken dreams and disappointment.
    My college son

Thread Information