Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cows & deer! Do they truly affect hunting? What is your opinion?

Default Cows & deer! Do they truly affect hunting? What is your opinion?

How much do you think cows effect deer hunting? explain what you have noticed over the years!

I lease a smaller tract, around 50+ acres and most of the farm has a herd of cattle on it. there is a section that is fenced off that they cant get to and its the best hunting on the whole farm. if the cows werent on the farm, a cover crop could be planted on several old tobacco fields, it would increase the hunting tremendouly... im curious what i should do to increase my chances of killing a good deer!
    thanks for your insight!

I hunt on a 465 acre farm that has about 85 head of cattle that run pretty well through the whole thing, I have killed several nice deer with cattle in the same field, but always get aggrevated when they come around, they are used to the cattle, but it seems like the deer almost follow the cattle, when the cows leave the field or area i am hunting seems like the deer start to come out, maybe coinsidence. I have a few fenced off areas that i try to grow food plots in, but the cows always find a way into it sometime during the year, and they love mineral sites, but where the cows have been salted in the same place for the past 30 years, it makes a nice spot for the deer also. I guess my answer is really a non-answer, its one of those things you almost have to just deal with unless they are your cattle.

No they don't imo
    ---------- >>>------------->

If the cattle are normaly in the field no problem. I have shot several nice deer in a field where cattle were.

Cows don't seem to scare deer at all in my observation. In fact, NOTHING seems to scare deer much if they are used to it. I have seen them stand and let someone mow right by them, seen them walk by within a foot of a huge snarling, lunging dog on a chain every afternoon, ANYTHING routine. But let something out of the ordinary show up and they are on the alert. For instance, i watched deer at a feeder everyday hardly even look up as the local traffic, including school bus, and kids on foot, passed by 25 yards away in full view. But any vehicle or person going by that was strange spooked them into the woods. They would watch from the brush until the strangers left , then come back out.

Use the cattle to your advantage. Walk through there poo to cover ground scent and use the noise they make to cover your own noise. The cows keep the deer from just bedding down anywhere,so they have more specific bedding areas and won't just lay around anywhere.

A farm I hunt has cattle grazed rotationally, when they are in the front, the deer are mostly in the back, when the cows are in the back, the deer leave. They are not fenced out of the woods. So yes, they do negatively impact deer use, they will eat what the deer need in the woods. Cows need some shade, not the whole woods, they simply don't get much out of it.
    Any day outdoors is a good day...

Official Measurer B&C and P&Y

Nikon D300, D7000 Nikon 200-400 VR tele-zoom lens for wildlife.

Visit my photo gallery:

http://joelacefield.com

I think deer generally avoid cattle because they don't like the movement among other things. That said I have seen deer use the same field as cattle. If you get upwind of deer, you can often walk among cattle and the deer won't pay attention to your movement. I used that to my advantage and almost got within bow range of a real nice buck one time.

Quote Originally Posted by CSS archer View Post
    A farm I hunt has cattle grazed rotationally, when they are in the front, the deer are mostly in the back, when the cows are in the back, the deer leave. They are not fenced out of the woods. So yes, they do negatively impact deer use, they will eat what the deer need in the woods. Cows need some shade, not the whole woods, they simply don't get much out of it.
    Times 2. I hunt a farm that has land on two sides of a major road and the cattle are rotated. The deer activity picks up almost immediately depending upon which side the cows are not on, lol, whether in stand or via my cams.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job."

Jose Ortegay Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

I live and hunt on a farm with multiple herds of cattle and in my experience the deer are where ever the cattle aren't.

Thread Information