Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 10 - 7mm-08

Default Savage 10 - 7mm-08

Ran across a Accu Trigger Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter the other day in 7mm-08. It has been factory dipped in Brush Camo with a heavy contour barrel. I paid a couple C-Notes down on it so the shop owner would put it back for me. Plan on picking it up in the next few weeks. From what I've been reading, it is a pretty popular caliber with a lot of people. Just wondering if any board members have had any experience with the 7mm-08.

Here is what the rifle looks like minus the matching scope. I've been looking at the Coyote Special scope from Nikon but don't know if it is a brush camo pattern to match the rifle. If not, I'll just strap my spare Leopold VX-2 on it and go from there.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:0,s:11
    Last edited by Buck_Nasty; 07-12-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginsenghunter View Post
    No need to sit in TN for a picture when you have a 197 to hold.

Do a search on the site here. Much talk of the 7mm-08. My opinion it is the best all around KY round you will ever buy.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP View Post
    Do a search on the site here. Much talk of the 7mm-08. My opinion it is the best all around KY round you will ever buy.
    I'm getting that impression from what I've read. I'll do the search on the board as well. The shop owner said it was by far his favorite whitetail caliber.

It'll whack everything fron gophers to elk. Low recoil, flat shooting.

I like mine very well.
    'But I would rather have it bent and dull and know I had to put it on the grindstone again and hammer it into shape and put a whetstone to it, and know that I had something to write about, than to have it bright and shining and nothing to say, or smooth and well-oiled in the closet, but unused.
    E. Hemingway

You know, if you put spaghetti sauce on on your ramen noodles, it tastes just like broken dreams and disappointment.
    My college son

Don't have anything in the caliber but do have a model 10 in 22-250. ACCURATE...to say the least. 1/4" or little less at 100 yards with my handload once I found the right recipe
    "Screw the animals, they had just as long to evolve and invent rifles but they didn't....we win"

Quote Originally Posted by killinmammals View Post
    Don't have anything in the caliber but do have a model 10 in 22-250. ACCURATE...to say the least. 1/4" or little less at 100 yards with my handload once I found the right recipe
    I know it will be accurate. Last year, I had a Model 10 FP in both .308 and .223 and they were both tack drivers. I own Remington as well. However, I'm in agreement with the shop owner, who is a big Remington dealer. He told me rarely did he sell a Remington that would shoot with a Savage right off the shelf. Even though my R700 Tactical shoots lights out, a Savage is right there with it and maybe a little better. At least the 10FP I previously owned was.

I'd have to agree. I've sold 3 times as many remingtons as savages, but those that bought the savages couldn't believe how accurate they were out of the box. My LTR is just as accurate as my model 10, the the LTR has had the Remington custom shop treatment and the savage hasn't had a bit of work
    "Screw the animals, they had just as long to evolve and invent rifles but they didn't....we win"

Quote Originally Posted by killinmammals View Post
    I'd have to agree. I've sold 3 times as many remingtons as savages, but those that bought the savages couldn't believe how accurate they were out of the box. My LTR is just as accurate as my model 10, the the LTR has had the Remington custom shop treatment and the savage hasn't had a bit of work
    The only advantages I can see a Remington has is the aftermarket parts market. You can buy just about anything for a R700 these days, while a Savage, not so much. I know the R700 action is legendary, but the Model 10's action was smooth as silk as well. Or at least to me anyway.

One thing I can say though is this. I've never seen a new Savage come right out of the factory sealed box with a bolt handle that had surface rust on it. I can't say the same for the Remington. The SPS Tactical I recently bought, I had to have the shop owner clean the bolt handle because of that very problem. I also made them examine the bore to make sure it was OK before I left with it. I could tell when I showed the shop owner the bolt handle, he was not pleased.
    Last edited by Buck_Nasty; 07-13-2011 at 08:08 AM.

7mmx08 ammo can be pricey, other than that you'll like what that gun will do.

Thread Information