Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rains Affect on Acorns

Default Rains Affect on Acorns

What are your guys thoughts on all the rain we have gotten this year, and it's affect on oaks ability to pollinate for another successful mast crop. I don't think there is any way we will have a mast crop like last season, but I'm curious to know as well as get your feelings on what type of crop we will have. I located an oak flat last season that didn't produce hardly any acorns. I would say it was a low producing flat as hardly no acorns were present. I was hoping the flat may come around this year, but with all the rain we have had, I'm not getting my hopes up of the flat being a big producer this year either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginsenghunter View Post
    No need to sit in TN for a picture when you have a 197 to hold.

Too much rain will affect pollination & this happened in my area two years ago. NO acorns or other mast that year, thus very few Squirrels & Turkeys around. I've noticed this year's mast crop to be less than last years, also a lot of Hickory nuts are dropping before they are ripe. The acorn crop is such that some trees are producing while others aren't so much. There seems to be a lot of Dogwood berries & Blackberries as well as Raspberries. Noticed also the follage is very thick this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by DRS View Post
    Too much rain will affect pollination & this happened in my area two years ago. NO acorns or other mast that year, thus very few Squirrels & Turkeys around. I've noticed this year's mast crop to be less than last years, also a lot of Hickory nuts are dropping before they are ripe. The acorn crop is such that some trees are producing while others aren't so much. There seems to be a lot of Dogwood berries & Blackberries as well as Raspberries. Noticed also the follage is very thick this summer.
    I can vouch for the thickness of the foliage this year. I've made two trips to my hunting spot this year, and just about had to re-cut the entire path to the top of the mountain. A lot of new growth from the season past had sprung up since I'd been in there earlier in the year.

Another question I had was pertaining to storing acorns. Is there anyway to store them from year-to-year to where they will not go bad? I've got four mature White Oaks on the adjoining property, which hang out over my fence line in the back of the house. These things dropped acorns last year in heavy numbers. It was like walking on a bed of marbles when in the spot they where in. I thought about gathering them all up and saving them for this year, but didn't really know how to store them. Do any of you know a way to keep them, or is it even possible?
    Last edited by Buck_Nasty; 06-26-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nasty View Post
    I can vouch for the thickness of the foliage this year. I've made two trips to my hunting spot this year, and just about had to re-cut the entire path to the top of the mountain. A lot of new growth from the season past had sprung up since I'd been in there earlier in the year. Another question I had was pertaining to storing acorns. Is there anyway to store them from year-to-year to where they will not go bad? I've got four mature White Oaks on the adjoining property, which hang out over my fence line in the back of the house. These things dropped acorns last year in heavy numbers. It was like walking on a bed of marbles when in the spot they where in. I thought about gathering them all up and saving them for this year, but didn't really know how to store them. Do any of you know a way to keep them, or is it even possible?
    Same here. Last winter I worked my tail off clearing out brush for a good shooting lane only to have it re-grow this Spring/Summer. On your storage of Acorns you might place them in a paper bag, store in a cool dark place like your refrigerator. I think they would be okay for atleast a year.

Same here. Last winter I worked my tail off clearing out brush for a good shooting lane only to have it re-grow this Spring/Summer. On your storage of Acorns you might place them in a paper bag, store in a cool dark place like your refrigerator. I think they would be okay for atleast a year.
    I've still not cut my shooting lanes yet because I'm planning on moving my stands this season. Have plans on doing that maybe next weekend while I'm off 4 days for the July 4 holiday. But as for the acorns, if the trees behind the house ever drop like they did last year, I'll collect some of them and see if they will keep for an amount of time.

i've always heard that a good acorn crop comes a year after a spring / summer with a lot of rain. that would explain why a lot of us had large acorn crops last season, but would also mean that this years crop won't be as good as dry as it was last summer.

I picked a spot to hang a stand back during turkey season. Actually took the chain saw in and cut some pretty significant shooting lanes. It has grown back so thick and fast I have trail camera video of deer eating the new growth. I hate going to the woods in August (suprise factor for opening day) but the way things are growing I might have to. Not complaining mind you, me like fat happy deer.

As far as the acorns go. I was always under the impression, the wetter the spring the better the acorn crop. Is this not true?
    “When a hunter is in a tree stand with high morale values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God” Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by useyourbow View Post
    I picked a spot to hang a stand back during turkey season. Actually took the chain saw in and cut some pretty significant shooting lanes. It has grown back so thick and fast I have trail camera video of deer eating the new growth. I hate going to the woods in August (suprise factor for opening day) but the way things are growing I might have to. Not complaining mind you, me like fat happy deer.

As far as the acorns go. I was always under the impression, the wetter the spring the better the acorn crop. Is this not true?
    Don't blame you for not wanting to enter wooded areas that are overgrown, with all the insects & possible snakes sightings. This doesn't bother me all that much, as I always look forward hunting Squirrrels in August, in my woods. Since the leaves/follage is so thick this year; I am leaning toward taking my .410 S/S during August instead of my CZ .22 LR.

On the Acorn situation; I have found that Oaks produce a heavy crop when they are subjected to drought conditions, the year before. Otherwise they, normally have a good crop of acorns one year and fewer the next, during normal weather patterns.

I dont use em but two words. YELLOW ACORNS!!
    There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
    Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

as someone else said i would suppose the more rain the more acorns?

Thread Information