Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anybody still use a .410 shotgun on small game

Default anybody still use a .410 shotgun on small game

I have this Winchester model 94-.410 shotgun and like hunting squirrel's and rabbit's.I know ammo for a .410 is more expensive than .12 gauge ammo, But you don't have a whole lot of shot to miss with.

"And There I Was"

When I was a young'n I hunted some with a Iver Johnson SS 410. Have had it on mind recently to get me another good 410 to occasionally hunt with if not my 22 rifle! I must say I love the looks of yours. I never knew they made the 94 in a 410 version. I'll keep my eyes open for one, but must have been few of em made cause I've never seen or heard of em. I'd like to have an old Win. 37 in 410!

Yes, I have two .410 shotguns and still use them, along with my .22 LR CZ brand rifle. One is an old single barrel H&R Model 058 and the other is a Stoeger "Uplander" S/S. My best load is a 3" #5 shot, and has harvested "many-many" Squirrels & Rabbits with the .410- 3". My Dad bought me my first .410 a Savage Model "B" double Barrel back around 1961. Ammo for the .410 gauge was always around $1 higher than 12 gauge ammo, even back then.

You bet! Mossberg model 500 crown grade .410 pump, and an old Sears bolt action single shot. The mossberg pump has put down a bunch of quail, I like it for those birds. The bolt action stated taking squirrels and rabbits in 1966, its mostly retired now but it still works great.

Have several .410's. Pride and joy is a Model 42 Winchester with 28" Modified, vent rib barrel. Have owned it since 1958. Harvested a lot of quail and other small game with it. I load my own shells for all major gauges and bores. Currently have around 2000 loaded in .410. Shoot only 2 1/2" shells. Shot skeet for years and found that the smaller load "used correctly" will do anything the 3" shell will do. I would estimate shooting close to 100,000 .410's in my lifetime. We set up a trap at my residence and let the youth and ladies shoot my guns. Saturday two weeks go they shot hundreds of clays and some shot for the first time. One young man, 12 years old, shooting for the first time shot my Model 42 all afternoon and never missed a target including some doubles. He was from Chicago area and stated " Wish we could shoot at home like this ". Lucky to live in the country where we can enjoy the shooting sports..

Its the only gun I hunt squirrels with. Much more challenging to get close to a squirrel to kill with a .410 versus a .22.
    "Know when to hold'em know when to fold'em"

I hunt quail and pheasant with my 410 and plan to dove hunt with it some this fall.

I have the packer model , the longer model has screw in chokes, as you know Winchester does not make them anymore. I got this one back in 2005 for about 400 bucks, @ Wal-Mart, you can find them and are very high these day's........
    "And There I Was"

Quote Originally Posted by MrHank View Post
    Its the only gun I hunt squirrels with. Much more challenging to get close to a squirrel to kill with a .410 versus a .22.
    .32 flinter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPete View Post
    Ahh yes, the great white hunter with a "holier than thou" attitude.... Downing a man for hunting over bait while his stand hangs in a white oak with it raining acorns.......
    Wait, what?

All my rabbit, quail and dove hunting is done with a .410, Remington 1100, love the .410.
    A REAL MAN WILL NEVER LET HIS FEAR OF DEATH OVERPOWER HIS HONOR. GENERAL G. S. PATTON JR.

2012/2013 Trapping season
    Bobcat -
    Yotes - 11
    Coon - 25
    Grinners - 32
    Stinkers -7
    Red Fox-
    Grey Fox-5
    Beaver - 13
    Muskrat - 4

Thread Information