Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: is riding in the back of a truck legal?

There is no state law against it

Seems pretty cut and dry that it's illegal.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/189-00/125.PDF
    NRA member #196246209

[QUOTE=AteUp;1047123]Seems pretty cut and dry that it's illegal.

No its not....There is NO LAW for riding in the cargo area of a truck. How can it be illegal if there is no law. Many states do have laws on it but Ky. is one of them that doesn't.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/cargoareas.aspx

[QUOTE=WildmanWilson;1047159]
    Quote Originally Posted by AteUp View Post

No its not....There is NO LAW for riding in the cargo area of a truck. How can it be illegal if there is no law. Many states do have laws on it but Ky. is one of them that doesn't.

Ok. Whatever you say.
    NRA member #196246209

I called my sheriffs office last year about this same subject, they told me that it would be up to the LEO's discretion "if" I got pulled over,
    then went on to say, act like you have some sense and not drive erratically, that you have precious cargo,
    if you do this then you should be fine, but then there's always that chance.....

Quote Originally Posted by AteUp View Post

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/189-00/125.PDF
    I agree. No seat belt on passenger = ticket.

I have no problems with somebody riding in the bed of a truck. Heck, I've done it myself, but what Ateup posted is the law. You can go to court and argue officer's discretion or there's no specific law against truckbed riding or whatever you want and who knows? It might just work, but at least you now know what statute you'll be accused of violating when the police officer pulls you over.

Quote Originally Posted by WildmanWilson View Post

That might be a good argument if you installed seat belts in your truck bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfork man View Post
    Take know prisoners!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwhitetails View Post
    your a moron

This reminds me of what I did back in the day. Picture 8 guys in a little Nissan pick up...2 inside and 6 in the back. Also in the bed was a tarp and it was full up to the rails with water. It was like a mobile hot tub on a 90+ degree day. That truck sagged so bad. All the water sloshing around made it pretty hard to handle curvy road conditions. Got pulled over just 1 time wanting to see if we had any beer. We were all 18-20 yrs old. Ahhhhh..memories

Quote Originally Posted by jblack1 View Post
    I called my sheriffs office last year about this same subject, they told me that it would be up to the LEO's discretion "if" I got pulled over,
    then went on to say, act like you have some sense and not drive erratically, that you have precious cargo,
    if you do this then you should be fine, but then there's always that chance.....
    I have a problem when someone says a law is up to their discretion. It's either a law or it isn't. There should be any gray area that allows a law officer to put in their 2 cents or if it's something they don't like. Ky doesn't have a law on riding in the cargo area so how can it be up to them on what is right? Just like a gun law. It shouldn't be up to a officer on what he thinks is OK. It should be up to whats is written.

Ky doesn't have a law on riding in the cargo area so how can it be up to them on what is right? Just like a gun law.
    Did you even bother to read the law?

189.125 Requirements of use of seat belts, child restraint systems, and child booster seats -- Exceptions.
    (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, "motor vehicle" as used in this section means every vehicle designed to carry ten (10) or fewer passengers and used for the transportation of persons, but the term does not include:
    (a) Motorcycles;
    (b) Motor driven cycles; or
    (c) Farm trucks registered for agricultural use only and having a gross weight of one (1) ton or more.
    NRA member #196246209

I have a problem when someone says a law is up to their discretion. It's either a law or it isn't. There should be any gray area that allows a law officer to put in their 2 cents or if it's something they don't like. Ky doesn't have a law on riding in the cargo area so how can it be up to them on what is right? Just like a gun law. It shouldn't be up to a officer on what he thinks is OK. It should be up to whats is written.
    From my take on the situation, It is illegal, but "if" we weren't acting negligent and where we were going "Gravel Rds." that we would probably be ok unless we got a LEO that was "strictly by the book"
    just like I've been given warnings for things before just because the officer was a nice guy,
    he didn't have to, he could have just wrote the ticket and been done with it.

Thread Information