Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing the Louisville metro park ponds/lakes

Default Fishing the Louisville metro park ponds/lakes

I see that louisville has a host of fishing waters throughout the metro park system. I'm sure some of these waters aren't worth the time but I'm sure there are some worth their weight. I plan to bass fish the parks this spring and I have a kayak which I think will help expand my fishing to better areas within the pond/lake.

Out of all these parks does anyone have any experience? I guess I'm just trying to narrow the list some so that I'm spending more time on better fishing waters.

Cherokee Park
    Grinstead Drive and Lexington Road
    4.6 acre lake with accessible pier

Chickasaw Park
    Southwestern Parkway and Greenwood Avenue
    1.6 acre lake

Fisherman’s Park
    Old Heady Road near Hopewell Road
    8 lakes, 15.2 acres total

Iroquois Park
    New Cut Road and Kenwood Drive
    1.1 acre lake

Jefferson Memorial Forest
    Tom Wallace Lake, off Mitchell Hill Road
    5.4 acre lake with accessible pier

Long Run Park
    Flat Rock Road off Shelbyville Road
    28.7 acre lake with boat ramp

McNeely Lake Park
    Cooper Chapel Road off Preston Highway
    46.2 acre lake with accessible pier and boat ramp

William F. Miles Park
    Shelbyville Road and Miles Park Way
    4 lakes, 5.5 acres total

Thurman Hutchins Park
    River Road and Indian Hills Trail
    Accessible pier

Charlie Vettiner Park
    Mary Dell Lane near Billtown Road
    1.2 acre lake

Watterson Park
    South Wheatfield Drive and March Boulevard
    4.1 acre lake with accessible pier

Waverly Park
    Arnoldtown Road and Clayton Terrace
    5.3 acre lake with accessible peir

I also plan to fish the river some for catfish and see that there are many parks listed on the riverfront list. Lastly, I wanna check out the falls, I hear there is some good fishing in that area when the water is flowing at the right level. Thanks for any advice.

Cherokee Park
    Grinstead Drive and Lexington Road
    4.6 acre lake with accessible pier

dont waste your time with it, over fished to heck, when the weeds havent taken over 100% of the water there is one spot where you sometimes to decent but like i said, the conditions must be perfect.

Long Run Park
    Flat Rock Road off Shelbyville Road
    28.7 acre lake with boat ramp

i never have done well there but last time i went i was younger and wasn't nearly as proficient as i am now, id say in a kayak out fishing deep structure you could catch some really nice largemouth.

McNeely Lake Park
    Cooper Chapel Road off Preston Highway
    46.2 acre lake with accessible pier and boat ramp

good lake, very little gets fished from shore so its not really over fished...

William F. Miles Park
    Shelbyville Road and Miles Park Way
    4 lakes, 5.5 acres total
    talked to fish and game officers who told me they know of multiple 8 lbers still in the waters here...worth a try.

Waverly Park
    Arnoldtown Road and Clayton Terrace
    5.3 acre lake with accessible peir

there was an 11lber taken out of this one 2 years ago....may be another!

Thanks for the reply CRF, we'll have to get out and do some fishing as soon as this weather breaks towards spring. Man I'm getting cabin fever. I have fished cherokee but didn't do good. It looked really shallow and there was a lot of under growth allage in the water. Excited to try some of the other places.

For some reason I keep getting drawn to the Jefferson Memorial Forest lake. From what I know it seems to be out of town a bit and I saw some pictures that made it look nice. Who know's maybe it doesn't get the pressure of the in-town ponds.

jefferson memorial forest does loook good never heard much about it. im gonna start fishing towards the end of february, water is still a little too hard. if we get a warmer week that might change though. there are a few nice cats in cherokee park lake, ive seen some 30+ lb flatheads rolling on the surface, but they dont get that big in that lake by being stupid. the weeds in that lake completely take it over, ive never seen a lake with it that bad, im not sure how deep it is but all that vegetation sure makes it look shallow

keep us posted on how it goes
    "if coach K is American Express, then Bob Huggins is straight cash homey."

overheard on espn

They drained Iroquois Park pound years ago and I don't know if they ever put any fish back in it as for McNeely Lake Park it gets fished HARD but at one time it had some nice bluegills in it.
    Waverly Park has some nice bass in it but they are well trained and are hard to catch always has been that way that is one pound that needs to be drained and redone along with Cherokee ..Tom Wallace lake is another to try I remember when they drained it they said it had more bass per acre of lake then any other in the state but there again they were well trained and I have not fished it since I was a teen. watterson is another over fished pound.. I would give them all a fair shake and see what you come up with.Using a kayak may be the trick for these little sh!t holes..

Quote Originally Posted by anvil View Post
    I would give them all a fair shake and see what you come up with.Using a kayak may be the trick for these little sh!t holes..
    haha. I found out how tough over fished public/residential ponds can be when I moved to lexington from Eky. I cut my teeth on a private farm pond growing up (Dad's buddy) and it took me awhile to figure things out in the city. A few things I have learned.

a) Don't stand and fish were you see everbody else 'standing and fishing' when you drive by. Those banks are beat to death and the fish know. If you gotta bust through briars or take a hike through some scrub, thats what you gotta do to get on fresh fish. Hoping the Kayak will really help out in this department.

b) Live bait is your friend 'where legal'.

c) I don't catch a lot of bass in these public holes but I have found that you can catch a very nice bass from time to time in these waters and thats enough to make me go out and fish.

CRF, when the weather improves I will hit you up man.
    Last edited by EKY.MTN.HUNTER; 01-27-2011 at 03:15 PM.

One thing to note is that Louisville does not stock any of the lakes, only the ones in the FINS program get stocked. And they quit stocking bass for that program.

Here's what I specifically know about some of them:

Cherokee--the fertilizer from the golf course causes a big algae bloom. The few times I've fished there, turtles were an issue.

Fishermen's Park--I've not seen a lot of fish come out of there except when its stocked with trout. Some of the ponds are real weedy when it gets warm. But last year it looked like they put in some grass carp.

Miles Park--I've seen some decent ones come out of there. Its one of the original FINS lakes and was part of it when they were stocking bass. Also, Floyds Fork is in the park if you want to do some creek fishing.

Tom Wallace Lake--I've been there when they've been shoulder-to-shoulder after it was stocked.

Long Run Park--I've seen some decent sized fish there. But they appear to be well trained. I always thought it ought to produce more but then again, there's always other people there fishing as well.

Watterson Park--Its a good place to go for comic relief. Watch people trout fish with large catfish poles. I've also seen grown men fish there with little Barbie poles. And you probably need to forget how to count when you're there because no one else there knows how.

Charlie Vettiner--I've never really fished it, but I can't say that I've seen anyone else either.
    A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

ptbrauch, thanks a lot for the info!

sounds good !

Thread Information