Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gator/Mule versus 4 wheeler

Default Gator/Mule versus 4 wheeler

I have a 2wd Honda 4 Wheeler and I am thinking of upgrading to a Gator/Mule type ATV. My concern is that the Gators might not be as safe as 4 wheelers. I have no trouble with the 4 wheeler going up the hills on my farm, but it just looks to me like the Gators would be have a more difficult time. I also worry these are more prone to rollovers than my 4 wheeler. I am a safe driver and am not a "mudder" or "Crawler". I am looking to upgrade because the Gator type vehicles seem more handy for cutting wood, working on fences, etc. What do you guys think? Also, what are the best of the Gator/Mule type vehicles.

Thanks.

My old hunting right is a 1999 Honda, 300, 2WD, automatic manual shift (no clutch but shift with foot) and I have never thought about trading up. The 300 Fourtrax is arguably the best ATV Honda ever made in the utility line. Although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the new ATV's and doesn't ride or steer as smoothly as the ones with independent suspensions and power steering, but it has never failed to do what I needed it to do. I just see all the ES type stuff on the newer ATV's as something else that can go wrong with time.

As for your situation. Personally I would invest in a nice pull trailer designed for ATV use before I would drop the change on a UTV type off road vehicle. I don't know what type of hills you have on your farm, how wide or congested they are with timber, but if you could make use of a utility trailer, that would be my choice. UTV vehicles are nice, but I just can't see putting that much money into something when I have a reliable, capable ATV right now. As for the gators or mules, I've never had any dealings with them. Only Rhinos and T-Rex UTV's.

Is your ATV a 300 Fourtrax? If so, do you want to sell it if you are dead set on trading?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginsenghunter View Post
    No need to sit in TN for a picture when you have a 197 to hold.

350 rancher. Not dead set on selling it just yet though.

There is nothing like a mule. We call ours the deer hearse.

I have a mule. I was in the market for a 4 wheeler, and opted for the mule. Bench seat, roll bar and seat belts. Add the dump bed and I have everything I need in one vehicle. I bought a small tag along trailer so I can haul more decoys when waterfowl hunting. I use it for yardwork, hauling wood, putting ul trestands, checking cams, putting out corn, hauling dead stuff back to the house, fishing, feeding cattle, working on fences, and general
    farm work. There is no way a 4 wheeler would allow me to do all that the mule does. That said, I have my eye on a Kubota UTV. Hydostatic, deisel, and cab with heat and air. The Kubota I drove a few weeks ago seemed to be a much better machine than the mule, and the mule is a fine vehicle.

nothing against mules, but until you drive a ranger you have no idea what you are missing, and i believe they just came out with a diesel version too. if you get a utv for anything except groomed trails, DO NOT GET A MULE OR GATOR. they are very wide and have little ground clearance so they get stuck very often. me and my cousins have taken the ranger to hell and back, mudding, quad trails, hill climbs, and not once has it gotten stuck.....plus the mules and gators top out at like 25, rangers can do 55+

Quote Originally Posted by keith meador View Post
    I have a mule. I was in the market for a 4 wheeler, and opted for the mule. Bench seat, roll bar and seat belts. Add the dump bed and I have everything I need in one vehicle. I bought a small tag along trailer so I can haul more decoys when waterfowl hunting. I use it for yardwork, hauling wood, putting ul trestands, checking cams, putting out corn, hauling dead stuff back to the house, fishing, feeding cattle, working on fences, and general
    farm work. There is no way a 4 wheeler would allow me to do all that the mule does. That said, I have my eye on a Kubota UTV. Hydostatic, deisel, and cab with heat and air. The Kubota I drove a few weeks ago seemed to be a much better machine than the mule, and the mule is a fine vehicle.

Friend of mine who works at a car dealership had a Kubota traded in the other day. The previous owner had added a lot of extra stuff to it, including a heated cab. Man it was nice. Just too rich for my blood. I think so guys from Adair County or somewhere came and bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginsenghunter View Post
    No need to sit in TN for a picture when you have a 197 to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by CRFmxracer View Post
    nothing against mules, but until you drive a ranger you have no idea what you are missing, and i believe they just came out with a diesel version too. if you get a utv for anything except groomed trails, DO NOT GET A MULE OR GATOR. they are very wide and have little ground clearance so they get stuck very often. me and my cousins have taken the ranger to hell and back, mudding, quad trails, hill climbs, and not once has it gotten stuck.....plus the mules and gators top out at like 25, rangers can do 55+
    Agreed on getting stuck, and slow. I figured out at an early age the definition of a good driver is one that never has to prove it. For my needs, the mule or Kubota will do just fine. The terrain in my area doesn't warrant anything more. I got the mule stuck going downhill while hunting with Lab a few years back. The mud pushed up in front of the wheels, creating a barrier. After a brief episode of cussing and growling, the mule finally pulled itself out of the predicament. I guess I am getting older. Maybe not wiser, but definitely older.....

Gator/Mule/Ranger, I have no experience with any and therefore no preference. My biggest need for my terrain would be ground clearance, then not rolling over.

My cousin I hunt on has a kabota rtv. I use it sometimes while when hunting,it is a power house for sure with the diesel engine. If you get one of them don't plan on taking it into the woods unless you have some good roads, my experience has been that it is big and heavy and the suspension hasn't got alot of travel while the ground clearance is mediocre. It was ment to be a workhorse and it does that realy well,it can haul a heck of a load and has plenty of power. It is a little on the noisy side,but if someone wanted a tuff working and bullet proof utv,it would fit the bill just don't plan on taking it into the rough stuff.

Thread Information