Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trapping Techniques for bobcats

Default Trapping Techniques for bobcats

Very new to trapping but am going to give it a try. Have read several publications on trapping, sets, etc. but they all primarily deal with coyotes. I have had several bobcats showup on my trail cams on our farm and am going to try to harvest one soon.

Anybody give me any ideas on how to trap a bobcat? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by lmcquinn View Post
    Very new to trapping but am going to give it a try. Have read several publications on trapping, sets, etc. but they all primarily deal with coyotes. I have had several bobcats showup on my trail cams on our farm and am going to try to harvest one soon.

Anybody give me any ideas on how to trap a bobcat? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Go to www.trapperman.com and look in the "Archives" section under "bobcats". You will get alot of great information!!!!

Wayland, Ky./ Somewhere On The Alaska Pipeline

Here's a set that works for me. This chunk of wood has been good for 2 cats everytime I've trapped this area for the last few years. It's located on top of a brushy point that has an old logging road going down it. I do best on cats in near really thick places. Bait is placed back in the center of the bend.

The Set....
    Name:  bobcat stump sm.jpg
Views: 13351
Size:  77.2 KB

And the Tom I had in it the next morning.

Name:  first 09 tom sm.jpg
Views: 11139
Size:  79.2 KB

Definitely not a bobcat pro, but everything I have read and experienced says to make the sets extra flashy. We always hang a wing and scatter plenty of feathers on the ground. I'm probably jinxing myself, but I actually don't think they're that hard to catch if you have them in your area. Here's a brush pile set..We actually had 2 wings hanging here, you can see one of them.

Trapping 2011

Yotes- 18
    Bobcats-
    Red fox- 5
    Grey fox-1
    Coon - 24
    Grinner-2
    Misc.-

I agree with abssprint they arent that hard to catch if you can get thier attention use plenty of flash chicken wings hanging over trap rabbit hair in bait hole feathers or fur on ground ive even caught one with a half skinned [ossum for bait Now after saying that probably wont catch one this year
    If your gonna eat,somethings gotta die
    2014 season
    beaver
    bobcat 1
    coon 3
    coyote 1
    grey fox
    grinner 3
    mink
    red fox

Thanks for all the assistance as it is greatly apprecaited!!! Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can get out and give the various techniques a try. If that doesn't work I may be sneaking around the woods looking for screamin6x6's bobcat stump to borrow up on my farm!

Wayland, Ky./ Somewhere On The Alaska Pipeline

I haven't been up to check on it this year yet. It may be already gone. LOL

I have had luck with single turkey feathers hanging. Or even tinsel like on a Christmas tree. The idea is a cat uses its eyes more than its nose. Get their attention and like the old saying goes curiosity kills the cat. A cat will tolerate more guiding into a set as well. Here is a pic of one of my cat sets and the cat the next morning. It was placed in the corner of a field that you can see in the second pic. One edge of this field is a very large and thick hillside. The other open oak flat with a old logging trail coming down off of a point into the corner. I have seen countless sets of tracks on this old road.

"But grouse-those mysterious birds of brake and vine tangles-frustrated the youth. He was never quite ready for their thunderous flushes,never fast enough to anticipate their twists and gyrations, never able to match gun swing to their weaving among hardwood shafts and plump cedar bodies. It was a rare thing for the aspiring gunner even to get off a shot at one of the rocketing missiles, which seemed like feathered demons conjured just to torment him." Sam Bevard

John is that cat from this year or last year. You just saved several turkeys lives come on spring

Nice looking bobcat for sure and really appreciate the picture of the set-up and advice.

So, is a Duke's #3 coilspring traps appropriate for bobcats? Am buying myself a few traps for X-mas so as to target bobcats and coyotes and the occasional fox. From what I've read these should be good traps for my intended purposes but one can't argue with results so I'll take any advice you guys have.

Thanks.

Thread Information