PDA

View Full Version : how long does it take for deer to find corn?

Jerod
11-05-2010, 08:59 PM
i put some on the side of a hill but its thick. There are some trails but the cam hasnt picked up on any and the corn hasnt been touched in a week and a half. Im thinking i should have put it on top of the ridge now.:(

Thatguy84
11-05-2010, 09:21 PM
They will find it, just give em' time. Plus with all the Acorns around they are probably not to interested.

struttbuster
11-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I put out some corn for my dad a couple weeks ago and it has barely been touched as well,but i think they are hitting the acorns. They will get it sooner or later when it starts to sour a little and smell they can't resist it just like a hog on slop..

BucksGalore
11-05-2010, 09:47 PM
I put 150lbs out the other afternoon and 28 minutes after I left there were 2 does in it and that night had a nice big 8 pointer on camera. If deer are in the area, they will find it immediately but the acorns are everywhere this year and hard to compete with.

ggodwin
11-05-2010, 09:48 PM
i put some on the side of a hill but its thick. There are some trails but the cam hasnt picked up on any and the corn hasnt been touched in a week and a half. Im thinking i should have put it on top of the ridge now.:(

all the feeding that I see is on the low lying areas.

Jerod
11-05-2010, 10:05 PM
The farm is covered in red oaks but I've also seen them munching on greens throughout the woods. They must save the sour nutts for last

sterling
11-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Normally I can put corn out in the evening and see deer eating it the next morning. A 100 pd bag only last about 2 days. This year they are hardly touching it with all of the acorns. I am going to wait until December before I put anymore out.

carter county cuckler
11-05-2010, 10:15 PM
If you put the corn on top of the deer they will kill it.Im going through about 100# around a week and a half to 2 weeks.I think thats alot of corn considering how many acorns are on the ground.

jblack1
11-05-2010, 11:21 PM
put out a jar of peanut butter,
I cut the plastic jar in half, and then put a hole in each half, then put each piece on a small tree about the size of a pencil,
so the animals won't pack it off,
the smell will pull them in.
I've never had a deer on camera that wasn't hitting the peanut butter, if it's out.

perry-letcher line
11-06-2010, 12:59 AM
they eat it if they come across it..i doubt they will go out of their way to come to it due to the acerns.

BuckRage30
11-06-2010, 01:07 AM
I've got a mixture of stuff I buy off a guy in WV. I have seen awesome results, if you would like a link or to know more I would gladly give you the info.

Duster
11-06-2010, 03:41 PM
put out a jar of peanut butter,
I cut the plastic jar in half, and then put a hole in each half, then put each piece on a small tree about the size of a pencil,
so the animals won't pack it off,
the smell will pull them in.
I've never had a deer on camera that wasn't hitting the peanut butter, if it's out.

Best way to set up the peanut butter deal is take off the lid and screw it threads out to a tree. Cut the bottom off the jar and screw it back onto the top. You may have some coon's visit along with any deer so be ready for that.

Corn....it depends on location....I had not ran my spin feeder since spring but when I filled it a few days back I had turkeys within the hour and deer in two. The deer now hit the corn then vaccum my yard for acorns. I had to laugh this morning I watched two buttons make three rounds around the house...corn to acorns....acorns to corn.

jblack1
11-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Best way to set up the peanut butter deal is take off the lid and screw it threads out to a tree. Cut the bottom off the jar and screw it back onto the top. You may have some coon's visit along with any deer so be ready for that.
I've tried that, the coons seem to manage to unscrew the jar from the tree and pack it off.

8&sand
11-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Deer are picky & weird. Last Saturday we put out 50lb shelled & 50lb whole. The whole corn has all been demolished the shelled not hardly at all.

7mmwsm
11-06-2010, 10:30 PM
put some corn out about a month ago that was still on the cobb like i always do and they havent touched it,but they are eating the acorns just got to be there when they are

Duster
11-07-2010, 07:49 AM
I've tried that, the coons seem to manage to unscrew the jar from the tree and pack it off.

Never had that happen...had em eat darn near a entire jar overnight but never steal the jar. Maybe I just tighten it harder and it makes it harder for those little mask bandits to do their thing.

Whole on the cob corn the squirrels seem to carry away,, shelled corn works best for me either in feeder or just tossed on the ground,,, cracked corn will mainly attract turkeys and small birds. Just to hard for the deer to pick up such small peices.

carter county cuckler
11-07-2010, 08:01 AM
I've tried that, the coons seem to manage to unscrew the jar from the tree and pack it off.Thats why you also put screws in the lid so they cant screw it off!Duh,lol.

mr.freaknasty
11-07-2010, 12:46 PM

Corn....it depends on location....I had not ran my spin feeder since spring but when I filled it a few days back I had turkeys within the hour and deer in two. The deer now hit the corn then vaccum my yard for acorns. I had to laugh this morning I watched two buttons make three rounds around the house...corn to acorns....acorns to corn.

i tried that once before too,and i had a momma bear with 3 cubs come up and get the jar and lid off the tree and i have a pic of her walking past my camera with the whole thing in her moth...lol i had 3 16penny nails in the lid,and i dont understand how the lid didnt shatter or break b/c the nails are still in the tree!

sterling
11-07-2010, 04:41 PM
I put out 25lb. of corn Wednesday to try to pull some deer from my neighbors farm. I hunted it Saturday morning and three doe walked up to it and started stomping at it. They were scared of it until 10 hens walked up and started eating it up. They stood there watching the turkey eat and then they decided that they wanted some of it. When they got close to it a buck came up the hill and started checking the doe and ran them away. First time I have seen deer afraid of a corn pile!

2518speck
11-07-2010, 07:19 PM
it took two days for the deer on the farm im hunting to find the corn according to my trail cam, ive never hunted this farm before so i tried to locate a trail and put the corn nearby as well as a 5 pound bag of apples. now they are eating about 100lbs in 5 days. got lots of does and 4 small bucks on the pics but have a lot of big buck sighn nearby. hope the does get hot before gun season starts and bring in one of the big boys.