PDA

View Full Version : Elk taken in Estill County

1leg1der
10-18-2004, 10:59 PM
3 elk were taken during the muzzle loading season in estill county one bull and two cows

deerhunter401
10-18-2004, 11:01 PM
im glad to see our elk herd getting bigger

Eagle85
10-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Where in Estill were they taken? Any pics?

I live in Estill and haven't seen any all year... :(

With my luck, they were probably on the hill behind my house... lol

1leg1der
10-19-2004, 12:21 PM
I dont have any pics. two were taken in the millers creek area and one in the doe creek area

Eagle85
10-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Doe Creek? Buck Creek? Old Landing? Barnes' Mountain?

I live on Buck Creek... and no one I know has mentioned any elk taken.

Who took it? I'd like to give them a pat on the back... :)

Told you it was probably behind my house.... :D

kyhntr
10-20-2004, 09:45 PM
hey eagle you hunt private or public land in estill

DUOGLIDE
10-20-2004, 10:08 PM
the person who bought leonard hardys old farm at old landing took one of the cows the other two were taken pretty close to tucker taylors at pryse basicly just across the river

Eagle85
10-21-2004, 12:05 AM
I mostly hunt private land. I have a couple acres, and the neighbors are pretty good about letting me hunt their properties. There were several acres on Old Landing (Buck Creek) that were Federally owned, but the Federal signs are gone now, and I've been told that it was sold. A nice 10 pointer came out of those woods last year... too bad it wasn't mine.

I also hunt a family friend's farm in Lee county (about 300 acres) and my dad's land in Carter county above the north side of Grayson Lake.

Strutter
10-21-2004, 08:57 AM
I was told that Tucker Taylor shot a cow and a friend of his from England shot the bull. These came off Tuckers place near Pryce. Supposedly had a rollback car hauler load the whole bull up and take it to Arvins. Anyway, if anyone knows them, try and get us a steak or two.

12 pointer
10-21-2004, 09:15 AM
guys, how far did those elk venture out of their safe zone? just curious. don't know a thing about that end of the state. mike

Strutter
10-21-2004, 06:50 PM
12 pointer. Not sure where these particular elk were released but a couple years ago a young bull was killed at the intersection of I75 and I64 in Fayette County. He had traveled over 150 miles form his release site. I would guess the Estill Co. elk were some of those released in Breathitt Co. Just a guess though.

Eagle85
10-22-2004, 01:05 AM
12Pointer...

Many of the elk found in this area of KY were released are about 100 or more miles away. Lee county is very close to where these three were taken, so I would assume they came through Lee, which would make sense because it is a straight line from Estill to Breathitt through Lee. Lee County was a buffer county last year... if memory serves...

There have been several elk releases in 14 counties, so it is untelling exactly where these migrated from. They could have even come from Hazard! Overall, more than 1500 elk have been released since 1997 into eastern KY on mostly reclaimed coal mining sites. They've been here a while and their numbers are increasing nicely!

From what I understand, there have been a lot of elk sightings in Estill, Lee and Powell. If you're not familiar with this end of the state, we're about 45 minutes SE of Lexington.