PDA

View Full Version : Best way to eliminate coyotes off your property???

WoodnWater321
10-20-2010, 08:41 AM
I have about 400 hundred acres in Grayson County, We were just up their this past weekend and it seems that the coyotes are worst than in years past. We like to deer hunt and dont want the coyotes to kill fawns or turkeys off the land. Just about every still hunt on stand we were seeing them and hearing them all night long running through the bottoms. I have herd different ways to kill them, but wanting to know what you guys thought was the best way???

deadaim
10-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Trapping.......

DJONES
10-20-2010, 09:55 AM
I carry a rabbit hand call in my backpack. When I see or hear the yotes I will try to callem in.

BurleyDog
10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
get someone who is a hard core coyote hunter to put some serious pressure on them. then combine that with a trapper.

you will never "get rid" of coyotes - but you will make your farm a bad place for them to live and they will figure that out quickly.

dray223
10-20-2010, 10:39 AM
shoot them in the face area.

DUCKY41051
10-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I have heard that if you hang a couple of coyote carcuses around the property, they will see it as a sign of danger, and not return. After all if cusin bubba got shot and uncle bob got trapped and killed why would i want to be there.

weedwalker
10-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Trapping is the best way. But you'll never get rid of them completely without fencing that they can't get through.

WoodnWater321
10-20-2010, 06:59 PM
What is the best way to trap them? It might be easier to get a trapper out their and do it for me, You typically dont have to pay for a trappy correct? Does any one know of a trapper in the grayson county area?

kyfuzzyface
10-20-2010, 07:48 PM
http://fw.ky.gov/app1/NuisanceLookup.aspx

Or gets some friend together and do it yourself
there are several on here that would be willing to travel a short ways and help you out
Alittle long drive for me but that WEEDWALKER is a magnet when its coyote hunting

buck shot
10-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Thats rite fuzzy. he is a good man to have on the coyote stand. real good luck crarm.

wked
10-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Don't mean to make light of your problem, but I agree with the last two posts. If you could leak the info into the coyote community that ww was coming, you could probably get rid of at least some of them. The smart ones anyway!

weedwalker
10-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Unless you are going to fence the entire property, you will not get rid of them. As long as there is food, they will come. Trapping will thin them out, but that is only a temporary solution.

varmint
10-20-2010, 10:24 PM
I volunteer to hunt them down and kill as many as I see.

duckslayer870
10-21-2010, 12:06 AM
I find that 150 grain soft point does a good job. There are several guys on here that are trappers and yote hunters who you might look up.

JDMiller
10-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Sorta related....but I read an article in Predator Extreme awhile back talking about bounties on yotes. They discussed many states such as Colorado had incoporated a bounty on yotes many years ago. People trapped...hunted..poisoned.....done about everthing imaginable and over time the state paid out a bunch of money for their bounty. Ultimately they came to the realization...... you will never eliminate coyotes.

My advice ...as already mentioned...trapping & hunting is your best bet to control populations on a specific piece of property. You will never get rid of them completly but you will find it will help.

Also.... as much as I dislike yotes personally.....there is a usefull purpose to a yote on the food chain. Skunks...coons...feral cats... do a considerable amount of damage to nesting ..such as turkeys..ducks...quail & the like. Inturn the yote...is their primary predator. This is not to say yotes dont do their share of damage but they also prey on a lot of critters doing the same.

On the flip-side of those statements..... theres a lot information being released from studies saying...yotes are doing more damage to deer populations than previously believed by biologist.

So....... again... you wont eliminate them....but keeping their numbers in check would be beneficial.

Redlined
10-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Snares set on fenceline crossovers, trails through grassfields, cedar thickets and artificially necked down sections of log roads will put a major dent in the resident population pretty quick. We've taken up to twenty off fairly small farms in a 1-2 week span in this manner. Usually the landowner will report far,far less yote activity after a season or two of the neck-tie application......

Edit to add: I see 2-3 guys from Grayson county every year(I think 2brothers and their father) at the fur sale who really wear the coyotes out. I'm sure if you ask around you can find out who these cats are and they can hook you up.

Buck_Nasty
10-21-2010, 01:09 PM
One .223 or .204 shot at a time.

coyote caller
10-21-2010, 06:45 PM
well i like too take around a .223 sized bullet and place it snug in there chest so that the coyote will gently lay down on its grave ;p

etownhunter
10-31-2010, 11:03 AM
id be more than happy to put a dent in them....pm me if you need some help.

Jarhead
11-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Calling, trapping and snares!

Hoot
11-04-2010, 10:52 AM
I agreewith redlined. Snares in fence rows hunt 24/7.

SEK-Hunter
11-17-2010, 12:27 PM
shoot them in the face area.

I like this idea. :)

basshunter9239
11-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Call me!!!! I promise to do my very best to rid you of coyotes!!! I promose