PDA

View Full Version : Deer stands on property line, should it be illegal

ksp965
09-06-2004, 08:46 PM
What do you guys think? Should there be a law that a hunter can not erect a stand within so many feet of a property line unless he/she has permission of both property owners?

Multidigits
09-06-2004, 08:55 PM
I'd be against it. Landowner rights are a serious issue. It's no doubt unethical, but shouldn't be illegal. Unless the hunter actual shoots a deer on the wrong side of the line, he's done nothing wrong.

Size does matter!

Shelbyhunter
09-06-2004, 09:12 PM
yeah, a land owner can put a stand where ever he wants on his property, just don't shoot across.

GSP
09-06-2004, 09:43 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Shelbyhunter</i>
<br />yeah, a land owner can put a stand where ever he wants on his property, just don't shoot across.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I gotta agree with this logic.

shogan
09-06-2004, 09:51 PM
I can't argue here if it's his land. As long as he not on the branch that leans to your side or have to use the branch on your side. But you love it when the stand is facing your feild. HUM!

keith meador
09-06-2004, 10:00 PM
ksp, ill agree that the stand location you describe is less than ideal for the other hunter......we have a guy with stands facing our fields, and have witnessed him taking deer from the field, but we do not own the land, so we cant do anything about it unless the landowner will do his part. he just wants to be a good neighbor, so he doesnt see it as a problem. he would if that same guy were taking corn, or tobacco......

i think there should be a buffer, or at least they cannot face the stand toward the adjoining property....

bucks cannot grow antlers in your freezer....

mossyhorns
09-06-2004, 10:06 PM
I have an idiot with a stand on a power pole in the corner of his pasture facing our lease. I'll be watching this year and if I catch him shooting a deer on our property, I may shoot him.

HUNTTHERUT72
09-06-2004, 10:06 PM
I agree,nothing makes you any angrier, than when you get in your stand
before day lite only to see a hunter walking to his/her stand. Point is BOTH maybe hunting too close to the property line.

Hunt n nut
09-06-2004, 10:13 PM
I hate it too, but that is something that I would never go for.

skin_dog1
09-07-2004, 12:14 AM
The farm I hunt has an awesome funnel on the north end, but there is a creek that runs down the middle of the tree line and I have permission on one side but not the other. This is probably the best stand on the place. I'd hate it if it was illegal for me to hunt here cause I had to be a certain distance from the creek. The woods are only about 30 yards and the deer are always on my side of the creek. I guess my answer is no it shouldn't be illegal. Its already illegal for me to shoot a deer across that line. It's like banning guns cause people use them to commit murder. Isn't it already illegal to kill someone?

Annoy a Liberal - Work, succeed, and be happy!!!

Join The NRA and protect you're rights!

yelper
09-07-2004, 05:00 AM
POST a POSTED/NO Tresspassing sign right across from the stand.

I think it is ok, as long as the other party realizes the consequences for crossing POSTED property lines. I actually have a great stand on the property line as it is the one place the deer cross with consistency for about 200 yards. But, I have not shot across the fence.

If you must smoke, please do it with BLACKPOWDER!

rooster
09-07-2004, 05:06 AM
I have to agree with everyone else, If it is his property he can put the stands where he wants them. But he better be shooting on his side of the fence..

gut shot
09-07-2004, 07:03 AM
some ppl do it just to be anoying

LoweBow
09-07-2004, 07:06 AM
I once took a 20' Tarp out into the woods the night before the gun opener and strapped it between 2 trees and in bright orange spray paint I wrote "NO HUNTING".
The stand was on the fence line, on his side, but there was no possible way the guy could take a shot onto his own property. His side of the fence was a thick cedar grove that covered the whole hill. My side was a nice sparce hardwood hillside. I walked down the hill during mid day and the tarp was torn down. I wonder how he did that without entering my property???

I don't want to see it made illegal, but people need to have common cents.

They can take my bow when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!

Wildcat
09-07-2004, 07:23 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mossyhorns</i>
<br />I have an idiot with a stand on a power pole in the corner of his pasture facing our lease. I'll be watching this year and if I catch him shooting a deer on our property, I may shoot him.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Now THAT is illegal in all 50 states. Once the power lines are put on a pole that pole belongs to the power company, ever if that pole is on your own land. If caught the power company will charge you with trespassing. They want to discourage you from climbing the poles because it's so dangerous. You don't have to take my word for it just call any power company in the U.S.

Mossyhorns,
If you want to get that guy call the power company and trun him in.

shogan
09-07-2004, 08:14 AM
Just heard a story about a man who (just retired) tied a hammock to a power line pole. Layed down for a lil rest. Pole snapped at base and killed the guy.

I really like the tarp idea. I might have to try that.

If only you had set up a camera to catch him in the act.

ksp965
09-07-2004, 09:05 AM
I once posted some family land the night before season by spray painting on a large rock with a stencil I had made. The rock was about 8 or 9 inches thick, 3 feet wide and six feet in length. The next morning there was three hunters on the family property. The rock had been broken in half and turned over.

buckfever
09-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Last year, we had a fellow set up his climber right on the fenceline separating the properties. He had shots into the fields on both sides, and he hunted it when the wind was wrong to hunt his side. I asked him whether he knew that he wasn't allowed to hunt on our field, he said "yes", but he couldn't explain why his stand was set up to allow a shot over our field. In the end, we started parking our trucks right next to his stand (on our property of course). I'm hoping that deters his future designs.

mossyhorns
09-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Thanks, Wildcat! I suspect KU will take a dim view of that stand on one of their 14kv lines!

keith meador
09-07-2004, 07:14 PM
i paid the guy across the fence a visit one morning......got the climber out and got across the fence, as close as i could, and had a morning hunting session with the chap...seems he had no intention of shooting into our field, but thats the way he sets up his stands to keep the sun out of his eyes...i really would have bought the story, but the stand is on the west side of his prop, and he shot the deer in the mornings, with the sun in his face.....facing our prop....when we questioned him about the deer he shot, we got the old song and dance, i shot it over here, it ran over there...i explained that i did not know him, so i couldnt call him a liar, but i would give him an opportunity to tell the truth, since we saw him shoot the deer and it fall in its tracks....that was several years ago, to date, the stands are still there, but we have not seen him in them...hope it stays that way...

that same idiot was throwing apples into our alfalfa....we threw them back, and he threw them back.....he later poured deer cocain in the field, i found it while mowing the alfalfa...kinda rough on that end of the field...wonder how hard he had to throw the deer cocain to get it over the fence that far?

bucks cannot grow antlers in your freezer....

ecmbowhunter
09-07-2004, 08:41 PM
it's plain and simple as defined in the reg book....you gotta have permission!!!!

take nothing but trophies.....leave nothing but gutpiles

kyfanatic
09-07-2004, 08:46 PM
I used to have a stand on my cousins farm that stood about 20 yards from the property line and faced the other place,but I never shot a deer on the wrong side of the fence,they traveled through and jumped the fence both ways there,it was much easier to drag them from my side anyway.Some clowns leased the other place and tried to set up a self-climber right across from my stand where I'd been hunting for 10 years prior.Opening day I just went right on in my stand and made as much racket as I could,the other guy gave in first!

Brew
09-07-2004, 08:51 PM
What if the deerstand is in a part of the tree that is
leaning onto your property? Cut that part of the tree down
because it is affecting plant-life in that area?[:D]

havegunwilltravel
09-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Brew.
You cut a line tree and you will have a serious problem.
Thats like cutting the fence.

You quit playing when you get old.
You get old cause you quit playing.

goldenboy
09-07-2004, 11:09 PM
I must agree, I feel that if the state passed regulations to ban hunting property lines there would be a big stink. I have hunted many times on property lines. Never killed a deer where I was'nt allowed, or any other game for that sake. I don't tread where i'm not wanted. But as anyone can tell you deer don't obey No Tresspassing signs. So spend enough time and your chance will come.[:p] I believe it should be left open.

Brew
09-08-2004, 06:44 AM
havegunwilltravel, I wouldn't cut any tree down without a reason. I was just going to cut the limb down which the stand
hangs in; which is clearly on my side of the property line...by about 3 feet. Anyway, I decided agaisnt it. I just left
the guy a note saying I would appreciate him not shooting any deer on my property.....with about 3 No Tresspassing signs.

So I will go agaisnt the norm here and say there should be some type of restriction from putting stands exactly in property
lines....but that is just my 1.5 cents worth. Hopefully the guy is a COMPLETE hunter and comply with the rules.

Anyway, I am new to the website....glad to me everyone. Excellent website!!!

LoweBow
09-08-2004, 09:05 AM
One thing people forget. Just because the fence is there, that doesn't nesicarily mean that is the property line. Many old fences are there just because it was simpler for them to be built there. On a piece of property my father just bought in Grayson Co. there is a huge condo stand on the other side of the fence w/ the windows facing out into my father's bean field. While having the survey done it came to be the fence is off. The stand and 25 yards beyond are part of my fathers farm. Dad had to call the guy and have him come down and look at the fence line, because the guy cut timber last year and took about 12 mature oaks out of that corner. Dad's not gonna prosecute, but did tell the guy he was going to have to forfeit the stand. Happy ending!
Mike

They can take my bow when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!

Multidigits
09-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Those trees would be worth twice the value. That would be a good chunk of change. Sounds like the guys real lucky.

Size does matter!

heartshot
09-08-2004, 09:55 AM
I know it makes you angry to see this kind of thing happen. I don't think a stand should be placed on the actual line such as a fence connected to trees. A stand shoudn't be placed in the tree the fence goes through. If the guy wants to put a stand in a tree 2 feet away then I agree that not much should or could be said as long as he does not shoot across the line. But he is just setting himself up to trespass, because it would be hard not to shoot a big boy just across the line.[}:)][V][:(]

HornHunter
09-08-2004, 11:09 AM
In my opinion it really depends on the terrian on both sides. I have hunted close to property lines before if I can get a better view of a draw or the field edge where the creek bheind it is the property line. In most cases you can tell where the area to be hunted is based on where the stand is placed. Several years ago I was hunting about 30 yds from the property line on a ridge overlooking a creek bottom. My placement was so that I could see the bottom and not be skylined above the ridge. There was a good trail along the bottom and several fresh scrapes and I just knew that the deer would travel along the bottom and I would have a good shot from above. Lo and behold a decent 8 pointer walked halfway between me and the line about 15 yds above me off my side of the ridge. When I shot he fuzzed up and went across the back side of the ridge. I had to go across the property line to retrieve him. I decided then I wouldn't hunt that close anymore simply because if someone saw me dragging him back I would have probably been accused of hunting where I wasn't supposed to. He only went about 40 yds and piled up in some brush. Didn't find a speck of blood so it would have been hard to prove that I didn't shoot him on the other property.

magwah
09-08-2004, 04:01 PM
After reading all the posts on this subject - I feel a little better. I have at least three neighbors who hunt our property line. They even set up their stands looking directly at our farm.

I talked to the PVA and he said because our property has not been surveyed, it would be difficult for him to question the position of the stands. I have tried to hire surveyors but as soon as they see the rugged terrain we own, they never come back.

When I'm in a bad mood, I have been planning my revenge. I have been thinking about getting my wife to bring home a pile of hair clippings from the beauty shop which I will place strategically the day before gun season opens (just inside our property and barely covered by dead leaves).

After the anger goes away, I wonder if I'm just turning into a grumpy old man.

JLT
09-08-2004, 08:07 PM
New to this site and I thought that I would add my 2 cents worth. I am a hunting fanatic but I don't deer hunt that often (only killed one deer). I raise and train bird dogs and turkey hunt. However I do own a farm and when I first bought it I stopped counting deer stands somewhere around twenty. It seems the previous owner didn't care who hunted the property. Well I knew when I bought it that it was loaded with game so I posted it. Opening day three years ago was a nightmare for poachers, father and son teams, and the likes. It is a continuous battle to keep people off your property. I understand that when a animal is wounded and runs away you want to find and retrieve your game but people just can't treespass where ever they want. What if you cross a property line and run into the guy's neighbor who owns the property next to where you have permission to hunt. Well I guarantee you just ruined his hunt and you probably won't be getting to hunt again after he talks to the fellow who allowed you to hunt. May I suggest that you go to the neighboring farm owners homes around your stand prior to hunting and ask permission to treespass before the big day, because chances are you won't do it then. I was out I think last year walking my property during the evening wearing hunter orange, although it was fall, when a huge deer jumped in front of me. Seconds later two muzzleloaders went off. I was ticked and scared. A couple of guys were just a couple of hundred feet away although they were on their side of the property line. Be careful you never no what can happen to the "Deer Crazed Hunter". But I tell you this much if I ever catch the son of a gun who hunted out of my posted deer stand last year, he will go to jail. How do I know somebody was there? He was stupid enough to leave his hat in the tree. (That's right I had the tree posted and he still hunted out of it) If you have any nice places to hunt that don't have idots running around ruining it for everybody your lucky. Be safe and good hunting.

ksp965
09-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Welcome JLT, your comments are on the money.

Lowebow, in Kentucky you are required by statute to notify all adjoining owners by certified mail of your intention to log a piece of property. If you don't and you cut trees on someone else's property then you are liable to the lawful owner for three times the stump value of the timber which was cut. I was involved in a case along those lines. The defendant also got hit with a large judgment in the thousands for the price of <u>restoring the land </u>to its former condition, which was above and beyond the value of the timber which was taken.