kyblackmallard
08-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Anybody Ginsenging tomorrow?

duxdown 1
08-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Whats it bringing this year?

kyblackmallard
08-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Don't know.Season just came in today.I found 10 decent roots while squirrel hunting this morning.Man it was hot!

KY OUTLAW
08-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Found about 10 myself today .

Dustin G.
08-21-2009, 08:52 PM
I see Ginseng plants ALOT on the land i hunt. Who buys it?

grouser68
08-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Tried to get my ginseng hunting permit for DBNF today. The gal that runs the front desk called in sick and her replacement could'nt sell me one, told me to come back tomorrow!:rolleyes: Man I have a tough time at that place getting anything.I thought about leaving the $20. and having the guy sign me a note, wanted to get into a patch I have known about for several years today while the high was only gonna be 80.

Cornmonkey
08-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Howdy, only found 8 bunche's yesterday. Went 4 wheeling and cooked on the mt. Did not look long. I was told it should open this year around $250. But i have a lot of freind's that held from last year and i expect a lot of it to move on the 1st. If the market is flooded with it the price will rise a lot slower. I,am thinking anyway.

Dustin G.
08-24-2009, 08:34 PM
What part of kentucky is it mostly in?

spurman
08-26-2009, 12:54 PM
With all the storm damage around here I am finding the ginseng already turning yellow and brown and the seeds not forming like they should. To much sun shine hitting the forest floor, just not enough shade I think.

Cornmonkey
08-26-2009, 06:26 PM
What part of kentucky is it mostly in?
Pike,Floyd, area. My patch has already started to turn and not many berries this year, on mine anyway.

RutNBuck
08-26-2009, 07:00 PM
i have seen seng in like parks and tall forest lands (archery shoots)
can anyone tell me where to begin lookin on new farms? north hill side?
near creeks, mid ways up the hill etc any help appreciated if i have an area (s) as you describe i will go lookin to to see if i have some on the farm

grouser68
08-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Dang it! When I finally reach someone that knows what they are talking about at the Morehead District Forestry Office, I get bad news!:( They will sell me a ginseng permit for the DBNF, but not until Sept.10th, and no digging until Sept. 15th! This must have just changed in the past year or two, first I have heard of those rules!:mad: Guess I better start reading up on it a bit closer.

Valley Station
08-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Grouser,
Went to DBNF website. Says its a $20.00 permit. Dig 9/15 thru 10/15.
3-prong/5-year old or better sang. One pound "green" yearly limit.

buzzbaiter83
08-28-2009, 10:06 AM
There's a lot of it here in Harlan. But there is getting to be less and less. We hear of too many people digging all year round and people digging small Seng. I have an uncle who looks for small Seng and cuts it at ground level so know one will see it and he can come back for it the next year.

My dad has two pounds dry left over from last year. He said he would sit on it until the price went back up. I'll probably look this weekend.

Redlined
09-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Anyone got an idea for sure what it's currently bringing?

Cornmonkey
09-04-2009, 07:07 AM
I called around yesterday and the out look ain't good. $250 lb. and if the market get's flooded with last year's. It will not move up very fast. I had someone say they had dug 4lbs already dried for paintsville this weekend. I never have dug early or small. The only reason for that is greed and it kill's the crop down the road for year's to come.

UKFan1996
09-04-2009, 02:10 PM
You might want to call around some more.
I haven't called my dealer yet but I'm sure they are paying more than that.

I saw this dealer posted on another forum and they were quoted as saying he opened at $280 a pound and has since gone up to $300.
I haven't called him myself because I am in central KY and not eastern KY.

Rick Johnson
Evarts Ky
606 837 8332

trust me
09-04-2009, 02:34 PM
i have seen seng in like parks and tall forest lands (archery shoots)
can anyone tell me where to begin lookin on new farms? north hill side?
near creeks, mid ways up the hill etc any help appreciated if i have an area (s) as you describe i will go lookin to to see if i have some on the farm

I don't dig it to sell but I enjoy finding it and transplanting the big ones to safe areas away from trails and such. The north facing slope is the best place to look, usually on the top third of the slope near the top benches, but that may just be me and my experience. I've found it in some strange places, east facing, west facing slopes, and have found it in burned-over thickets where you'd never expect it.

Good luck.

Cornmonkey
09-04-2009, 07:15 PM
If i find a bigin it comes home. The small stuff i bend over and cover up. I think its not good to pull the tops off early. Maybe don't matter i,m not sure. As the price gos it could very well be $280 to $300 where your at but for some reason its always $20-$40 cheaper here. I can travel less than 50 miles and the price will be better. At the first of the season they try to pick up as much as possable cheaper early. Just bussiness i guess.

Quickdraw Limpsalot
09-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Anyone ever plant any of the seeds? I have some and was wondering when the best time to plant might be. I know that they take an extra year to get going from what I've read...

Huntaholic
09-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Anyone ever plant any of the seeds? I have some and was wondering when the best time to plant might be. I know that they take an extra year to get going from what I've read...
I was about to ask the same question. Ive been gathering seeds off wild plants for a long time now and was wondering what the best way to start them might be.

thunderstorm
09-13-2009, 08:43 AM
I've actually had the best luck just tossing it out as natural as possible. Wait until the leaves are falling in the area you want to put them and just sling em out. It's hard to beat nature's way and it's sure alot easier.

WildmanWilson
09-13-2009, 12:30 PM
I was about to ask the same question. Ive been gathering seeds off wild plants for a long time now and was wondering what the best way to start them might be.

I dont think old seeds that are dried out will grow....I'd say you have wasted your time collecting them. The law is to plant them close to where you find them. They must be kept moist and stratified.

CVN71 Ordnance
09-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Wildman You might want to re-check your information about seeds. I have had seed for as long as 5 years and it still come up. You can also freeze the seed before planting and it will come up next year, the seeds usually take 2 years before they come up.

robert
09-13-2009, 08:55 PM
the price was $325 a pound last sunday here in perry county

R Littleton
09-13-2009, 09:55 PM
It was the same price $325.00 in Johnson co. at the flea market.

WildmanWilson
09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Wildman You might want to re-check your information about seeds. I have had seed for as long as 5 years and it still come up. You can also freeze the seed before planting and it will come up next year, the seeds usually take 2 years before they come up.

Harvesting Of The Ginseng Seed
Once the ginseng reaches three to five years of age, a lot of the plants will begin to bear seed. Blossoms will usually develop around June and the seed will ripen around the middle to the end of August (this may vary some depending on your location in the United States).
Once the berries turn red they can be harvested by hand. These berries can then be placed in a burlap bag and the pulp allowed to rot away. It may be necessary to water the seed during this time to ensure that the seed does not dry out. After much of the pulp has rotted the seeds can be washed and dried slightly and are ready to be stratified.
Stratified means that the seed is mixed with sand and placed in boxes made of wood and screen. These boxes usually have a fine mesh screen on the top and bottom with the sides being constructed of wood using 2"x10" or 2"x12" boards. They should be buried in the ground where drainage is very good and in a cool shady place. It is often recommended to place several inches of sand or gravel underneath the box to aid in drainage before the box is buried. The boxes are then ready to be filled with seed and sand. The seed will remain in the box until the following fall when it is ready to be planted. This seed is then considered stratified seed and will sprout the following spring

Grant
09-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Harvesting Of The Ginseng Seed
Once the ginseng reaches three to five years of age, a lot of the plants will begin to bear seed. Blossoms will usually develop around June and the seed will ripen around the middle to the end of August (this may vary some depending on your location in the United States).
Once the berries turn red they can be harvested by hand. These berries can then be placed in a burlap bag and the pulp allowed to rot away. It may be necessary to water the seed during this time to ensure that the seed does not dry out. After much of the pulp has rotted the seeds can be washed and dried slightly and are ready to be stratified.
Stratified means that the seed is mixed with sand and placed in boxes made of wood and screen. These boxes usually have a fine mesh screen on the top and bottom with the sides being constructed of wood using 2"x10" or 2"x12" boards. They should be buried in the ground where drainage is very good and in a cool shady place. It is often recommended to place several inches of sand or gravel underneath the box to aid in drainage before the box is buried. The boxes are then ready to be filled with seed and sand. The seed will remain in the box until the following fall when it is ready to be planted. This seed is then considered stratified seed and will sprout the following spring
My dad is a licensed dealer. I remember him doing that when I was a kid. Hes got a couple acres planted in the woods there at his house that were all done that way.