PDA

View Full Version : Blackbirds in sweet corn

randy grider
07-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Any good ideas on how to keep them out?

Mepperson
07-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Any good ideas on how to keep them out?

My granparents used to tie pie pans up out in the field and it seemed to work. My FIL strings up lines across the tops of the corn and he says it keeps them out, not sure why but he says it works.

Art
07-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Propane cannon! Annoying as all get out, but they do the trick.
http://www.suttonag.com/Zon.html

Duster
07-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Bird netting

grillzilla
07-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Try a 12 gauge and warm up for dove season.

duckslayer870
07-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Try a 12 gauge and warm up for dove season.

+1 on this one.

Pie pans work well too.

Sarge
07-17-2009, 11:21 AM
We put red disposable cups on the top of each ear,depending on the size of the field this could work.

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
My granparents used to tie pie pans up out in the field and it seemed to work. My FIL strings up lines across the tops of the corn and he says it keeps them out, not sure why but he says it works.

I've been to two different hotels that had strings strung about 12 feet above the pool area to keep birds away and it definatly worked. Im sure it would work for your garden as well. good luck.

chris149
07-17-2009, 12:16 PM
my dad puts ties paper bags over the ears of corn it work and cheap

Colorado_Hunter
07-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Propane cannon! Annoying as all get out, but they do the trick.
http://www.suttonag.com/Zon.html

The Propane cannon works for awhile, then the critters get used to it. We used them back on the farm in Colorado to scare yotes and magpies away.

In only a matter of a few weeks the critters were back to their old tricks.

For the yotes the best thing that worked was injecting them with high speed lead poisoning.

The magpies we built a wire cage with slits in the top, they would fly in and then couldn't get out, after that it was high speed lead poisoning for them.

randy grider
07-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Wel I have an acre,er, used to have an acre, the birds,coons,groundhogs,deer have gotten more than me. Next year I may tie into a nearby elec. fence for all the 4 legged critters, and yeah, the 12 ga sounds like good practice, and fun, may go do that now.

barney
07-19-2009, 05:51 PM
I started to type when I first saw this, but figured it would be useless, there ain't much that can be done for birds in the sweet corn. I have shot at them on one end of the field.......only to have them go to the other, and start eating again. Two shooters can keep them out untill...they run out of ammo.

The best defence I have found so far is, sweet corn bred with a bird resistant package. Some of the newer varieties have a longer, tighter, shuck above the tip of the ear, bred to keep birds out! That helps alot, but you will still find ear tips that are shredded.......but seldom damage to the corn. Live traps work very well for coons.

randy grider
07-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Pretty late to do much of anything for this year, I put up a bunch saturday, probably more than we need, sold some, and still alot more to pick, I have noticed the peaches and cream is all gone, they hit it first, now they are starting good on the silver queen. That just proves to me the p+c is best !
Got 5 blackbirds with the 20 ga tonight, only 50,000 more to "train".
This sounds like an expensive, education program, but fun.
Next year I may try some scarecrows and pie pans, but doubt I can string enough pie pans for an acre.
Thanks guys.