PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Trail Cam Picture

kyfanatic
06-19-2004, 09:11 PM
Can anybody figure out if this guy is a Bobcat or something else?

file:///C:/My Documents/unknown cat.jpeg

kyfanatic
06-19-2004, 09:18 PM
sorry my link isn't working but you can copy & paste location to see it.

Yellardawg
06-19-2004, 09:26 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kyfanatic</i>
<br />sorry my link isn't working but you can copy & paste location to see it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

no we can't. It's on your computer, not on the internet. You must save it to a host website for us to view it.

'You can eat a whole pig, but you can't eat a pig whole!'

kyfanatic
06-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Yellardawg

You must save it to a host website for us to view it.
__________________________________________________ _______________
__________________________________________________ _________________

Excuse my computer literacy,how do I do that?

Glenn P.

Yellardawg
06-20-2004, 08:20 PM
You either put it on your own website or you use one of the many picture hosting sites available. (Do a google search)

'You can eat a whole pig, but you can't eat a pig whole!'

P. Beyer
06-20-2004, 08:31 PM
e-mail me the pic, I'll post it.

"It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent"

Fred Bear

kyfanatic
06-21-2004, 04:57 PM
P.Beyer, like I said I'm not very good with my computer and can't figure out how to attach it to the E-mail poster link on here.I have a send image link on my file but don't know your E-mail address.Maybe somebody could take time to explain to this dummy how to do that?
Glenn p.

Redneck
06-21-2004, 06:15 PM
email it to catfishking27@msn.com and I will help you out...

http://chaser27.homestead.com/files/Redneck_3.jpg

Redneck
06-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Here it is guys...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid123/p2f1065860cc6b890816962b1c8ca7a71/f82729a8.jpg.orig.jpg

kyfanatic
06-23-2004, 04:43 AM
Redneck,I appreciate your effort,looks like you are having the same problems I am though,guess I'll figure it out sooner or later.
Guess you at least got to see the picture,what's your guess? It's shaped like a bobcat,but colored like a cougar?

Big58cal
06-23-2004, 05:00 AM
Looks like a cougar to me. Definitely larger than a domestic cat. Did you check the area for prints?

The only purpose of bread is to hold meat!

Shelbyhunter
06-23-2004, 05:01 AM
That, my friend looks like a mountain lion. His tail appears to be long instead of a short, bob tail. Pictures can be deceiving though. There is an article in the CJ today about people seeing mountain lions. Where is this trail cam located?

Strutter
06-23-2004, 05:18 AM
I think it's a deer.

kyfanatic
06-23-2004, 02:02 PM
I've seen sign for quite awhile,I won't tell where this was taken.
Glenn P.

FullDraw
06-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Looks like a bobcat to me. The lower legs look to have bobcat type markings on them. The markings on bobcats are not always very dark.

Antler Ridge Deer Farms
Bledsoe, KY

Hammer
06-23-2004, 02:16 PM
looks like a cougar to me too. I also posted a thread on another site to get opinions there too. Neat picture!

VinVega
06-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Kinda looks like a deer with its tail pointed down. Could be something else, though. Like a gorilla or something.

Strutter
06-23-2004, 04:30 PM
I blew the pic up and it is either a cougar or bobcat without a doubt. If you look close, you can see spots on the inside of the front legs which causes me to lean more towards a bobcat. I have tried to post the enlarged pic so we'll see what happens.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v292/birdy123/cougar_pic1.jpg

Gobblergetter2
06-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Yeah, i agree with adam, but i think it looks alot like a bobcat!! I can see the spots and the pointy ears, but i dont know about the black marking on the belly???

Jeff Fogle

Possum
06-23-2004, 06:26 PM
The black marking on the bottom is a shadow from the weeds in front (from the flash of the camera). It's a bobcat.

Hardcase
06-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Kyfanatic, can you say where that was taken? I'm in the corner of Trimble, Henry, and Carroll counties. We have been getting reports of a big cat here. One that a big cat killed an eighty two pound pit bull. The dog was tied on a porch.

<b>Always put God number one and all other things will fall in place.</b>

<b>Bob Boyd</b>

Redneck
06-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Can you tell us which county?

kyfanatic
06-26-2004, 05:39 AM
Redneck,I sent you another picture from the same area,if you don't mind post it for me please.

Hardcase,I don't know anything about the Henry county cat except anything is possible.

Shelbyhunter
06-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Any more info on the big cats roaming around Henry Co? Really makes you wonder what really is out there...

2hunt
06-27-2004, 04:27 AM
This pic is a bobcat, nice shot.

kyscout
06-27-2004, 05:39 AM
Looks like a bobcat after looking at some other pics of bobcats on different web pages.
Kyfanatic was that pic taken south of thaxton's river boat rental or north. cause i know where there a few more bobcats at in that county.

2hunt
06-27-2004, 03:33 PM
Obviously it's a mlae, whatever that is. [B)]

KYsailor
06-28-2004, 05:10 PM
kyfanatic,
I came across this forum several months ago after doing a web search for Mt. Lion reports in Kentucky. While home on leave recently, my mom asked if there were any in Ky because she had seen one west of Paducah. I started asking around and heard of sighting in Trigg and Lyon counties as well.
The photo you have looks like one but to confirm the size of the animal, would it be possible for you to take a photo of you or someone standing in the same spot with your arms held out to get an idea of the length of the animal. This would put to rest the idea this was a bobcat. The photo would have to be from the same camera at the same angle so you would probably need assistance to manually trigger the camera.
The "spots" on the inside front right leg appear to be shadows from the weeds as well as the large dark spot on the belly area.
The guys I work with that are outdoorsman all identified the photo as that of a cougar. I don't understand why so many people refuse to admit the possibilities of bear and cougar in KY outside of "historical" areas. 25 years ago coyotes were just a "myth" in Lyon County. The first one killed made the local paper as did a couple more over the next year or two. Same thing was said, "loose pet", "brought in by hunters to let their dogs chase" and several other excuses by the KYDFW. Fact was, the were coming back to areas they had been before and doing very well as they have adapted to living close to humans.
Same can be said for the bear and cougar population as well. Just ask those Californians who banned cougar hunting and are now paying the price for having to large a cougar population.

KY Sailor

kyfanatic
06-28-2004, 05:55 PM
kysailor,I'll see what I can do.I finally figured out how to use an image hosting sight to post pictures on the discussion board.I originally was trying for a photo of an albino buck that I've saw several times around my place.
I honestly believe it to be a bobcat with funny markings,but threw the picture out here to see what everybody else thought.If you compare the cats size to the weeds you will see it isn't as long as a cougar.
However I do believe in the presence of Mt Lions here in Ky. as a teen in the early 70's I saw one in SW virginia close to the KY line while deer hunting.Both bears and cougars have huge home range areas and can travel great distances,as far as your mothers sighting there have been many confirmed cougars in Missouri and a few in Illinois,one in Illinois was killed by a train and DNA proved it was a north american cougar with no signs of captivity.
Glenn P.

eastky
06-29-2004, 03:53 PM
According to the Eastern Cougar Foundation website, that picture was taken by a cam in West Virginia, not in Kentucky.

http://staffweb.lib.jmu.edu/users/bolgiace/ECF/camera%20survey%20log04.htm

massive horns
06-29-2004, 05:07 PM
I definitely saw a cougar in front of my house two nights ago at 9 o'clock just fifty yards away from me. Adam are you going to come here and see for yourself? This is the secong time I have seen one. I live in Adair county two miles from the Casey County line

Possum
06-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks 'eastky' for pointing out that 'kyfanatic' is obviously a LIAR! I don't undrestand why some people just have to tell lies to get their kicks. That's exactly why it's hard to believe the real stories and sightings, 'cause there's too many jerks out there crying wolf...or bear...or lion.

kyfanatic
06-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Well,I guess you better ask Todd Lester what he was doing in Greenup county and why he claims his pictures came from West Virginia before you start calling somebody a liar,jackass.
I guess I planted that bear hair on those peoples car in Boone county too? Get your facts straight before you make accussations.
Glenn P.

kyscout
06-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Will say this both pics do look the same.

Possum
06-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Posted - 06/26/2004 : 06:39:43 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Redneck,I sent you another picture from the same area,if you don't mind post it for me please.
Both these pictures were taken in Northern Ky,I won't specify were for obvious reasons.
Hardcase,I don't know anything about the Henry county cat except anything is possible. "

Nice language fanatic. First you claim the photo came from Northern Kentucky. Now you claim it was taken in Greenup county? Did your camera take the photo or did Todd Lester's? Why don't you clear it up for us? The bear that was hit in Florence has nothing to do with this bobcat.

Xtreme
07-01-2004, 11:45 AM
It's a bobcat. No one has seen the cougar we had around here [Hardin co.] for awhile so God knows where these things will turn up though.

Redneck
07-01-2004, 09:05 PM
u sent the pic wrong...try again

Big R
07-03-2004, 01:19 AM
That does look like the same picture.This was also on that site.

Cougar kitten killed on a road in Floyd County, KY, 1997. Photo courtesy of Steve Thomas, KY Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Resources

CONFIRMATIONS

The ECF accepts only written documentation from reputable sources to confirm field evidence of cougar presence in the East. In 2000, several ECF officers and Board members wrote and presented a paper listing twelve confirmations by type of evidence at the 6th Mountain Lion Workshop. This series of Mountain Lion Workshops is the official forum for academic scientists and state and federal wildlife biologists concerned with management of cougars in both North and South America. Our paper was the first presentation of scientific evidence of cougars in the east. Since then, additional confirmations are as follows, by type of evidence:

Body or body part:
13. KY kitten. In June, 1997, a man driving a pickup truck hit and killed an eight pound spotted female cougar kitten on Highway 850 in western Floyd County, KY. He said he also noticed a larger and a smaller shape, most likely the kitten's mother and sibling, because the kitten was still too young to be out on her own. The driver took the body to the Kentucky Department of Game & Fish, which froze it. When the kitten was analyzed, she was found to have all her claws intact, with no tattoos, tags, collars or other indication of captivity. DNA analysis indicated that the kitten's maternal ancestry included genes from South America, pointing to the pet trade (South American cougars are popular in the cougar pet trade), but paternal ancestry was shown to be North American.

This kitten is important for several reasons: she was a highway fatality, and biologists claim that if cougars were present in any numbers some would get hit by cars; she indicates that reproduction is going on in the wild; and she exemplifies the mixing of cougars from various origins that is probably occurring in the eastern woods. An April 20, 2001 letter from Steve Thomas, Wildlife biologist, KY Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources to Chris Bolgiano, ECF vp, confirms the above information.

Randy LaNeve
Big R Custom Calls

eastky
07-03-2004, 03:35 PM
kyfanatic is making excuses. Todd Lester is a well known Eastern Cougar researcher, and the ECF membership includes several respected wildlife biologists. The ECF works hard to dig up the FACTS on the existance of Eastern Cougars in specific areas.

They set those remote cams up throught West Virginia to attempt to document cougar presence in that state. Of course, since W. VA has a healthy black bear population, many bear pics were taken by the cameras, as was that 'unidentified' cat picture.

kyfanatic can resort to name calling and make all the excuses he wants, but the fact remains that the pictures he is claiming as his own were taken by other people, in a completely different part of the country. Posting other people's material and claiming it is yours is plagiarism... but beyond that, it's just really cheap and pathetic.

Possum
07-03-2004, 08:47 PM
yep!

Strutter
08-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Anyone heard any more about these big cats here in the state? They were a hot topic for awhile, then nothing.

Pooge
08-13-2004, 08:08 AM
Well, thanks to the marvels of modern computer forensics I have been able to digitally remove some of the weeds hiding the true identity of this little critter. Look closely and you will be able to get a better idea of what it is and where it came from...

http://www.trpinteractive.com/images/cougar_pic2.jpg

Turtleky
08-13-2004, 12:44 PM
I know one thing for sure. Them ain't Cat Eyes!! [:D]

kyfanatic
08-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Yep,US Forest Service has crossbred "Woodsy" the owl with a big cat to discourage forest fire arson.

just me
07-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Posted - 06/26/2004 : 06:39:43 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Redneck,I sent you another picture from the same area,if you don't mind post it for me please.
Both these pictures were taken in Northern Ky,I won't specify were for obvious reasons.
Hardcase,I don't know anything about the Henry county cat except anything is possible. "

Nice language fanatic. First you claim the photo came from Northern Kentucky. Now you claim it was taken in Greenup county? Did your camera take the photo or did Todd Lester's? Why don't you clear it up for us? The bear that was hit in Florence has nothing to do with this bobcat.

Hilarious thread....wish the pics were still there, lol.
I do have to add that Greenup County could technically be called northern Kentucky, correct???

Brit's and Birds
07-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Wow...that is digging a thread out the depths of eternity. Almost 10 years between posts.

just me
07-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Wow...that is digging a thread out the depths of eternity. Almost 10 years between posts.

Sometimes I get lost in the "similar topics" section at the bottom of the page and can't help but reply to something that made me LOL.