PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' started with snares

Macgyver
01-25-2009, 07:18 AM
I have a pond and some geese every year when it freezes over I loose 1-2 geese to predators. :mad::mad: Not stay dogs, carcases are carefully eaten not mauled. It always happens a couple nights after the pond freezes completely over. What ever it is keeps good tabs on the pond. I know I have a healthly population of coyotes have not seen any signs of bobcat or fox. I'm going to put up a snare line. Don't know which are best. What are wammys. Which are better locking device (washers or ???) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

CVN71 Ordnance
01-25-2009, 08:19 AM
a whammy is a spring that holds your snares up. If you don't have a whammy on your snare you have to make a w in your snare holder. If you do have a whammy you use a straight piece of wire and hook the spring on it. I don't know if that explained it or not.

Macgyver
01-25-2009, 08:23 AM
That makes sence. I've noticed a coil of wire or spring wrapped around the cable above the locking device, looks to be free slideing, what is it for??

abssprint
01-25-2009, 10:38 AM
That makes sence. I've noticed a coil of wire or spring wrapped around the cable above the locking device, looks to be free slideing, what is it for??

The free sliding spring your talking about is the whammy..If your setting on fence crossings you don't need the whammy..Just use a bobby pin to clip the snare to the fence. There cheap, quick, and the card they come on keeps them organized..Hope this helps..Good Luck

matewsq2
01-25-2009, 11:03 AM
An locking snares are NOT legal in KY.

Snareman2
01-25-2009, 01:06 PM
An locking snares are NOT legal in KY.

Yeah, sorry, but anything spring loaded or whammy is not legal on land in Ky.

Macgyver
01-25-2009, 02:58 PM
So what are my options, have been looking into 1.75 traps also. Regular or offset jaw? Which do you all like. Where can I find the KY regulation? Tried the KyDFW, could not find a clear set of rules. If you all have any ideas I am open to any advice. What do you all think is getting my geese. its been happening for 3 years now, I'm tired of telling my little girls their goose/geese are gone. Thanks

matewsq2
01-25-2009, 03:34 PM
So what are my options, have been looking into 1.75 traps also. Regular or offset jaw? Which do you all like. Where can I find the KY regulation? Tried the KyDFW, could not find a clear set of rules. If you all have any ideas I am open to any advice. What do you all think is getting my geese. its been happening for 3 years now, I'm tired of telling my little girls their goose/geese are gone. Thanks
like you said yotes or fox maybe coons.you can us snares they just cant lock.an on still traps id go #2offsets that way you can catch ne thing an not have the chance of it messing up the trap. I have seen some big dog yotes demolish 175s an 2s but not as likelyon the 2.Go to a sporting goods store or anywhere hunting an fishing licenses are sold the have a trapping guide

CVN71 Ordnance
01-25-2009, 03:52 PM
you better check again about the whammy ;) I don't think thats what the rules say ;) i have some that have a furel as a whammy.

Macgyver
01-25-2009, 04:33 PM
So the reason the traps are called 1.75,2,3 and so is the spring size? Jaw size? Which Jaw type should I go with the offset or the regular? Where is a good place to buy supplies? Been lookin on Ebay, youtube and trapperman. Lots of good stuff. Just need to buy something and get started figureing it out I guess. I really think this could turn in to another addiction to me. Thanks for any help.

CVN71 Ordnance
01-25-2009, 06:56 PM
buy a Fur Fish and Game magazine and look at it, some great information and if you order from Duke you can get free shipping if ordering at least 100.00

matewsq2
01-25-2009, 07:07 PM
So the reason the traps are called 1.75,2,3 and so is the spring size? Jaw size? Which Jaw type should I go with the offset or the regular? Where is a good place to buy supplies? Been lookin on Ebay, youtube and trapperman. Lots of good stuff. Just need to buy something and get started figureing it out I guess. I really think this could turn in to another addiction to me. Thanks for any help.
you can get traps at bout any farm store an gander mountian has a few ansome bate an lures there also IMO offsets are better.

Macgyver
01-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Where can I get a fur fish and Game magazine? Who carrys it or do I have to get a subscription? Where do you get tthe Rivoted J hooks for the disposible anchors? I looked up the Pogo Anchor guy on You tube....impressive. Think I can build my own. Could not find a link to his site that seemed to work. What is a good supply house for ferrals cables and stuff? I have about a 30min drive home from work, couldn't help but think about all the possible farms I can get permission to trap. Gettin' way ahead of my self though. I Really appreciate the advice everyone is giveing.

rc27945
01-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Check out a FUR FISH GAME magazine or go to trapperman .com and you will find several places you can buy supplies. Also Febuary 14th in E-TOWN at Pritchard Comunity center they are having a fur auction there are always several people there selling supplies.

matewsq2
01-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Where can I get a fur fish and Game magazine? Who carrys it or do I have to get a subscription? Where do you get tthe Rivoted J hooks for the disposible anchors? I looked up the Pogo Anchor guy on You tube....impressive. Think I can build my own. Could not find a link to his site that seemed to work. What is a good supply house for ferrals cables and stuff? I have about a 30min drive home from work, couldn't help but think about all the possible farms I can get permission to trap. Gettin' way ahead of my self though. I Really appreciate the advice everyone is giveing.
you can get it at wal mart

Macgyver
01-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Been priceing #2 and #3 CS / OS traps today what is a good price? Are OS jaws all that much better? Foud OS jaws for 8.50 to 14.50. Also found several people who really like the 1.75s. Thanks. Walmart is out of FF and G magazines. Where is someplace else to try.

rcb216
01-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Been priceing #2 and #3 CS / OS traps today what is a good price? Are OS jaws all that much better? Foud OS jaws for 8.50 to 14.50. Also found several people who really like the 1.75s. Thanks. Walmart is out of FF and G magazines. Where is someplace else to try.

Google them

Macgyver
01-26-2009, 08:38 PM
What is the purpose of laminateing the jaws of a trap. Talked to a wild life guy tonight. Snares are legal in KY(washer type, cam type are not). Forgot to ask him about wammys.

matewsq2
01-26-2009, 09:41 PM
thats not bad when some traps are like $35.00 a peace.but to you get what yuo pay for,a big yote wil destroy a cheap trap if it fites it much.Mite want to chaeck but i dont think 3s are legal on dry land.

Snareman2
01-27-2009, 11:05 PM
thats not bad when some traps are like $35.00 a peace.but to you get what yuo pay for,a big yote wil destroy a cheap trap if it fites it much.Mite want to chaeck but i dont think 3s are legal on dry land.

They are legal, as long as they're not over 6".:D