PDA

View Full Version : Florida Hunting.

cliner
01-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Went to Florida last year, didn't have much luck. For the guys who have been there and killed birds, where are the best places as far as counties and general areas to kill an osceola? Either there were tons of birds which are taken up by outfitters, or none like on the public WMA's.

turkeyman2000
01-22-2009, 07:06 PM
I've only been to a couple of WMA's in Florida. I've been to Relay WMA and Ft. McCoy WMA. I've had the most luck on Relay. It's close to the east coast just north of Daytona. If you go, be sure to take your snake boots. Times I've been at Relay, there has been lots of water...hence...lots of snakes (cottonmouths)....and lots of no-see'ums (mosquito-like bugs). Relay is very accessible by vehicle. There is also a small campground there. You can find more information about Relay at this link: http://www.floridaconservation.org/hunting/wma/2008-09/Northeast/Relay.pdf

Hope this helps a little.:D

gatorgrowl
01-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Cliner
I live in Florida, but hunt on a private lease in Levy County. One thing to be aware of...The Osceola turkey is generally not found in the northern part of the state...many of those turkeys are Easterns. Anywhere from central Florida South is where the Osceolas are located.
If you can get in the Richloam-Baird WMA it is excellant turkey hunting...and all Osceolas I am sure. The Baird tract is about 11000 acres...and it used to be my private Lease before the Owner sold it to the State. Richloam/Baird is about 50 miles west of Orlando, just south of Highway 50. Here is a link to the Brochure that is on the website...but it is a couple of years old. http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma/NE_Region/Richloam-2005-06.pdf
Good Luck..
Gatorgrowl

gatorgrowl
01-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Hey Turkeyman...
I tried to respond to your Private Message...but I am not sure I did it right...
You should be fine hunting in the Daytona area for the Osceola turkey....Should be the dominant bird there...Further north may be problematic whether you would get an Osceola or an Eastern.
Best of luck....Don't forget the skeeter spray etc..

PS The Thermocell works wonders for flying critters down here. I wouldn't go into the Florida woods wothout it...Also, Deer don't know the Thermocell is fired up. But all the skeeters etc stay away.
Gatorgrowl

turkey
01-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Anothy with Knight and Hale use to guide there...still may...try to contact him and get his advice...you should try looking at going from a boat onto public land. I have done this...and been lucky doing so...then you fish the rest of the day...you should spend 7days there and you should fill one tag. Waters in FL have several acres of public land around them. You can also try using an outfitter. I personally do not like hunting in FL...one type of bird in one place...and in my experience they don't talk much in general and are just plain tuff to hunt. Also I dont personally think numbers are that high for the average person to go and be successful. Just my two cents.

cliner
01-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks, I hunted a few WMA's last year with limited success, more hunters than turkeys.. Worked a bird to within around 100 yards, and BOOM... he crossed someone else's path.. I will look into the Baird WMA. If anyone knows of any people who would let a person hunt, I would gladly give them some type of payment for a few days of hunting.. Thanks in advance.

cliner
01-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Is there alot of pressure on that WMA??

gatorgrowl
01-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Cliner..
I can't respond directly as to the pressure in Baird WMA...it is a public area, but it is also about 11,000 acres...and adjoins Richloam which is some 20,000 acres. Lots of room. Either of them would be good areas. I have only hunted private leases for many years.....but when I hunted Baird, it is a turkey heaven....great habitat and lots of birds.
Hope it works out for you. Regards,
Gatorgrowl

cliner
01-27-2009, 10:54 PM
I have been researching different areas but there is not alot of up to date information as far as harvest results, etc..

K9trapper
01-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Killed a few Osceolas in FL, all on private land. It's tough to hunt birds in FL, unless you get some private land to hunt. The palmettos and other brush is so thick in most places, it's frustrating to hunt. Mosquitoes are everywhere, and Thermacells are a necessity, for sure!

Anthony Brown has been guiding down there for years. You may be better in the long run to just book a hunt with him. Two or three years of no birds on a WMA, would pay for a slam dunk hunt with him.

If you do go, I'd suggest going later in the season. The birds do gobble better up in the season, and the pressure is greatly reduced once other states seasons open up.

GA Assassin
02-02-2009, 06:01 AM
try to find a WMA near jacksonville FL ( south)=== lots of birds

K9trapper
02-02-2009, 09:19 PM
I don't believe Jacksonville would be far enough south to be a true Osceola. NWTF has a map of what is recognized as a true sub-species.

WhiteRubi
02-02-2009, 10:23 PM
I don't believe Jacksonville would be far enough south to be a true Osceola. NWTF has a map of what is recognized as a true sub-species.

Generally speaking...south of I-10 will be osceola country. I, personally, would feel better a little further south.

turkeyman2000
02-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Here's a link to the picture of the subspecies map from the NWTF.

http://www.nwtf.org/images/range_map_full.jpg

I'm like WhiteRubi...I would feel better a little further south.

scratch
02-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Hunted a cattle farm in the lake okeehobee area in the mid 90s....lots and lots of long beards there if one can find a place to hunt...paid 200 bucks for my guide and wacked a nice bird....huge hogs there too