PDA

View Full Version : Spin vs. Gravity Feeders?

Racer 99
01-21-2009, 08:22 PM
I have used spin feeders for the last few years but was thinking about using one of the gravity fed feeders from Texas hunter products do to its simplicity and design. I get tired of dealing with the spin feeders getting clogged, the noise and keeping varmints away. i have used moultrie 30 gallon feeders with solar panels and varmint cages but i have sold them all and looking for a more efficient way to feed deer. im thinking about buying two of the 300 pound capacity protein feeders from the following link. Check it out and tell me what you fellas think the pros and cons are.

http://www.texashunterproducts.com/prfepf.html

muddhunter
01-21-2009, 08:58 PM
wouldnt they just eat until it was gone? i can imagine 30 deer lined up to eat and depleting the feed in one sitting.

Racer 99
01-21-2009, 09:19 PM
MH,
I would be using the gravity feeder for feeding protein pellets as a supplement to their diet where the feed could be utilized more efficiently by the deer. The gravity feeder is a free choice feeding station so the deer could consume as much as they wanted as opposed to being regulated a certain amount with the spin feeder.
My thinking is the pellets would stay drier in the protein feeder and its design makes it more favorable for only deer to consume. i'm still considering one of the feeder max spin feeders as well for feeding corn year around outside the feed ban times. I've seen coons sit and wait by a spin feeder for the corn to come out and not give the deer much time to feed. Pros and cons for both just looking for insight or better ways.....knowledge is power and i'm always looking for new tricks..

muddhunter
01-21-2009, 09:25 PM
in that case it seems ideal. how long would you guess 300 lbs of feed would last in tx vs. ky/tn during the lean times?

beards-n-bone
01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Dont spend your money on gravity feeders. Make your own and save money. You can get 55 gallon plastic barrels with screw on lids for 10 bucks. I like to drill a hole in the barrell nickle sized right above where the barrell sits on the ground. This will allow the feed to let out slowly. Critters actually can help because some corn that have stalks and shucks in it that clogs spinner feeders is allowed to feed out because a coon wont allow the hole to get stopped up.

beards-n-bone
01-21-2009, 09:57 PM
One more thing..... take bungee cords and put around your feeder. Then cut limbs, cedar now, oak beech or whatever after green up, and stick em under the bungee thus hiding your feeder with vegetation. This will make a HUGE difference in getting deer using a feeder. My trail cameras have shown this to be very true especially with mature deer.

KyBucks10
01-21-2009, 10:21 PM
we did that same thing with the gravity feeder but we made our own...we just took a 55 gallon drum and cut holes around the outside of the drum and did a little welding on the inside and then filled the thing with corn...the deer loved it...after about a month it would be empty and the deer would roll it down the hill about 40 yards to the wood line. (it was in a big field). we also use the pvc pipe feeders...just take about 5 foot of a 4 inch pvc and cut a small V in one end and then bungee it to a tree or fence post. fill it with corn and then cap it...i did that one weekend came back 2 weekends later and it was completely empty...ive also got a spin feeder but i havnt put it out yet...dont have the money for another barrel...:o

rme hunter
01-22-2009, 04:57 PM
I have always used gravity feeders and love them. You can fit a lot of corn and it will last longer than you would think.

CUZZIN
01-22-2009, 05:28 PM
I have used spin feeders for the last few years but was thinking about using one of the gravity fed feeders from Texas hunter products do to its simplicity and design. I get tired of dealing with the spin feeders getting clogged, the noise and keeping varmints away. i have used moultrie 30 gallon feeders with solar panels and varmint cages but i have sold them all and looking for a more efficient way to feed deer. im thinking about buying two of the 300 pound capacity protein feeders from the following link. Check it out and tell me what you fellas think the pros and cons are.

http://www.texashunterproducts.com/prfepf.htmlI have a gravity feeder by texashunter and a spin feeder. The gravity is like a 24 hr buffet, just pull up and park. I like the spinner a lot better because you can control the out put and last twice as long.

EKYHUNTER
01-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Only bad thing wrong with spin feeders is that during the horn regrowth months protein pellets threw gravity feeders along with food plot will increase antler size dramitically...but during the harvesting season automatic feeders can regulate when ur game will travel threw ur hunting spot...myself i feed gravity and automatic feeders...on outside edges of food i feed automatic all year long but in other cases leading up to season its gravity and about 3 weeks prior to season i move to automaticand set times for 30 min before sunrise, midday and 30 min prior to sunset,, when it comes to feeders u just have to test and see which deer respond to the best

Ky_buckhunter
01-22-2009, 07:04 PM
I use to use big barrel feeders with holes cut in the bottom, it would hold lots of corn which is nice, but the deer consume it way too fast and the majority of the time its at night. so now all i use are feeders with timers where i can control how much they eat and when they eat it.. after all you cant kill deer from a feeder if there eating it at night...

But i guess the gravity feeder would be nice for the off season to supplement feed with protein pellets and such because during that time it doesnt really matter when they eat it as long as they do eat it.

rackmaster2
01-22-2009, 09:19 PM
those 45 gal olive barrels with the hole at the bottom work well, I buy a big flat washer with 1.25 hole in it and rivet it to the bottom over the hole i cut. keeps the coons from eating the hole out larger, I have bought an on time solar feeder that I love, no problems and I will order some more, look at the ontime elite solar, fish feeder with high torque motor.
when corn is 2-3 dollars a bushel, free choice is good , but when it went up last year, i lean toward the spin cast.

buckfever2
01-22-2009, 09:27 PM
I built a gravity feeder similar to a creep feeder used for cattle. It works great, holds 350 lbs of corn. the deer love it but the coons tare it up. I have had pics of as many as 14 coons at one time eating out of it.

LexHunterJH
01-23-2009, 01:50 AM
Just wondering what kind of protein pellets are you guys using?